U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:44 PM
JJG

12,895 posts, read 18,402,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I disagree....Cowboys, longhorns, cowboys hats, cattle etc. are not just unique to Fort Worth...You could find this type of activity all over the south and Midwest....Fort Worth is a southern town...There is nothing distinctly different from the people in Fort Worth compared to the rest of the south. Same southern accent, same history of racial segregation, part of the Bible belt etc....
Didn't say it was unique to Fort Worth. Just sayin' that it's the image the city pushes. It's also not the only image we have, but it's the MAIN image that gets thrown out to the media. Personally, I don't have too much problem with that since I'm attached to the Old West style. But go to the east side, and it's the furthest thing from it.

The stereotypical Texas that you really don't see much in the other major cities in this state.

Think about it.

Houston uses the Space City image.
Dallas uses the Big glitz/glamour (Texas version of Hollywood, if you will).
San Antonio has the Alamo, "Cradle of Texas" with the major Hispanic influence.
Austin is.... Austin
And even El Paso is seen as the gateway into the Rocky Mountain west.

Our thing is Cowboy/Western. Again, not the ONLY thing, but the main thing.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Houston uses the Space City image.
Dallas uses the Big glitz/glamour (Texas version of Hollywood, if you will).
San Antonio has the Alamo, "Cradle of Texas" with the major Hispanic influence.
Austin is.... Austin
And even El Paso is seen as the gateway into the Rocky Mountain west.
Houston tends to play its energy connections too often
Dallas tends to play family-friendly suburban (boring) living
San Antonio is the tourist trap (Sea World, Six Flags, Schlitterbahn, etc.)
Austin plays on its natural beauty
El Paso is in Texas? It looked like we were still in New Mexico!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:11 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston tends to play its energy connections too often
Dallas tends to play family-friendly suburban (boring) living
San Antonio is the tourist trap (Sea World, Six Flags, Schlitterbahn, etc.)
Austin plays on its natural beauty
El Paso is in Texas? It looked like we were still in New Mexico!
I failed to mention "Border Town" for El Paso, but you get the point.

Texas by itself has different images so to say it's purely southern is kind of a stretch if you ask me...

Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 AM

14,006 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
I failed to mention "Border Town" for El Paso, but you get the point.

Texas by itself has different images so to say it's purely southern is kind of a stretch if you ask me...
That's what I've been saying. It's too dang big to be put into one region. According to the Census Bureau the whole state is Southern, but in reality that wouldn't make much sense.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:49 AM

10,167 posts, read 16,639,944 times
Quote:
I mean, really....

The Wild Bunch (taken in Fort Worth)
I will reply to this one in much more detail this evening (gotta go to work now! LOL), but blunt fact is nothing you present -- pictures or otherwise -- make Ft. Worth a part of the West rather than the South.

Does it make it "western South". Yes. But the West as opposed to the South (i.e. more historically/culturally in common with Mountain West or interior SW cities)? Not in the least.

The idea that, in most of Texas, the South and West are mutually exclusive of one another is one of the most ridiculous and false misconceptions in American cultural geography. It is no more true than the fact Kansas is a "western" state, makes it not also "Midwestern."

Or, better "fine-tuned", that fact Wichita, Kansas (like Ft. Worth) has a strong "Cowtown West" image and touts it for tourist reasons...doesn't mean it is not a Midwestern city (in terms of history/politics/accents/etc).

With all that said, your later qualifications and explanations made some good sense (as they usually do!).

But gotta go to work. More later! Y'all all have a good day!

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-10-2012 at 07:16 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,317,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's what I've been saying. It's too dang big to be put into one region. According to the Census Bureau the whole state is Southern, but in reality that wouldn't make much sense.
Think about what you're saying, polo. The Census counts people, and most Texans live in parts of the state that are unmistakably southern, so it absolutely makes sense to group Texas in with the south. What doesn't make sense is splitting up Texas into two population regions, simply because one little corner of the state isn't really the south.

The Trans-Pecos region may not be southern, but it's still located in a state that is predominately southern. It's still under the politics of a conservative, Bible Belt, southern Baptist state.

If Texas ever decides to split itself up into regions, then it will make these discussions a hell of a lot easier, but until then, for MOST purposes, Texas is a southern state.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I will reply to this one in much more detail this evening (gotta go to work now! LOL), but blunt fact is nothing you present -- pictures or otherwise -- make Ft. Worth a part of the West rather than the South.

Does it make it "western South". Yes. But the West as opposed to the South (i.e. more historically/culturally in common with Mountain West or interior SW cities)? Not in the least.

The idea that, in most of Texas, the South and West are mutually exclusive of one another is one of the most ridiculous and false misconceptions in American cultural geography. It is no more true than the fact Kansas is a "western" state, makes it not also "Midwestern."

Or, better "fine-tuned", that fact Wichita, Kansas (like Ft. Worth) has a strong "Cowtown West" image and touts it for tourist reasons...doesn't mean it is not a Midwestern city (in terms of history/politics/accents/etc).

With all that said, your later qualifications and explanations made some good sense (as they usually do!).

But gotta go to work. More later! Y'all all have a good day!
Well I guess that's fair enough.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,980,066 times
The Atlanta vs Texas city debates are too fun
Screw em both and i pick Birmingham

Old 02-10-2012, 05:42 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Think about what you're saying, polo. The Census counts people, and most Texans live in parts of the state that are unmistakably southern, so it absolutely makes sense to group Texas in with the south. What doesn't make sense is splitting up Texas into two population regions, simply because one little corner of the state isn't really the south.

The Trans-Pecos region may not be southern, but it's still located in a state that is predominately southern. It's still under the politics of a conservative, Bible Belt, southern Baptist state.

If Texas ever decides to split itself up into regions, then it will make these discussions a hell of a lot easier, but until then, for MOST purposes, Texas is a southern state.
That's what I'm saying, for census bureau purposes, it SHOULD be seen as Southern. But in the genral sense of the people, it should be noted as both Southwestern and Southern. We the people don't HAVE to think of Texas as one or the other. We should be able to interject Texas into conversations about both the South AND the Southwest. Why not?

Old 02-10-2012, 05:47 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,244,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's what I'm saying, for census bureau purposes, it SHOULD be seen as Southern. But in the genral sense of the people, it should be noted as both Southwestern and Southern. We the people don't HAVE to think of Texas as one or the other. We should be able to interject Texas into conversations about both the South AND the Southwest. Why not?
In the end does anyone care?

Don't think many people here are stressing out themselves worrying what they are.

I would think that most people would think themselves southern but up play the SW depending on the business they are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City