Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's alot of South.
The south is a huge region, polo. You have to remember 115 million folks call this land their home and even more will continue to in the future.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
BUT, one of them happens to be taller than anything in Houston.

And spires count, sorry - before you even go there.
if you take comfort in placing a headpiece on top there to feel better then I wouldn't think of robbing you of your false comforts hun

Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerInternet View Post
let's push every other city out of the way and just look at Houston, Atlanta, and Charlotte. Let's first look at some pictures

Atlanta

Houston

Charlotte

Judging by main skyline, Atlanta wins.

Economy:
Charlotte is the second biggest banking city in the nation
Charlotte wins

Biggest Medical Center:
Houston

It's a tie.
Charlotte is nice but it doesnt belong in this discussion. The only places in the south that belong in this discussion are the largest [Atlanta, Dallas, DC, Houston, Miami], the cultural icons [Nashville, New Orleans] or the historical [Richmond, Savannah, Charleston]

Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerInternet View Post
let's push every other city out of the way and just look at Houston, Atlanta, and Charlotte. Let's first look at some pictures

Atlanta

Houston

Charlotte

Judging by main skyline, Atlanta wins.

Economy:
Charlotte is the second biggest banking city in the nation
Charlotte wins

Biggest Medical Center:
Houston

It's a tie.
You have to be joking bringing Charlotte in this thread.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Baltimore's skyscrapers suck compared to other cities in the south.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Ur
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You have to be joking bringing Charlotte in this thread.
Dang, you guys low-ball Charlotte so much. Its ok to mention Nashville, Richmond, Savannah, etc.. but not Charlotte??!! Truth be told there is no capital, the region is too vast. Do you honestly believe our daily lives in Charlotte are affected by Houston, Dallas, Atlanta..NO! We are a csa of nearly 3 million people in an area smaller than Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Nashevilles, etc... MSA! We have our own amenities, shopping and financial districts, 8th busiest airport in the world, etc...Give off your high horse people.
And for what its worth Charlotte arguably has best DOWNTOWN and DOWNTOWN SKYLINE( not total skyline) out of all of them(not including New Orleans).

Annie this was not a shot at you personally:

Last edited by qc dreamin; 02-28-2012 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-28-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Ur

Dang, you guys low-ball Charlotte so much. Its ok to mention Nashville, Richmond, Savannah, etc.. but not Charlotte??!! Truth be told there is no capital, the region is too vast. Do you honestly believe our daily lives in Charlotte are affected by Houston, Dallas, Atlanta..NO! We are a csa of nearly 3 million people in an area smaller than Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Nashevilles, etc... MSA! We have our own amenities, shopping and financial districts, 8th busiest airport in the world, etc...Give off your high horse people.
And for what its worth Charlotte arguably has best DOWNTOWN and DOWNTOWN SKYLINE( not total skyline) out of all of them(not including New Orleans).

Annie this was not a shot at you personally:
Calm down man. I love Charlotte, you are probably familiar with Neighboring Concepts, my uncle is the partner, his office is on Morehead St and has done many projects around there including the LYNX transit stops and the Harvey B. Gantt Center Uptown. I'd take downtown Atlanta over Uptown Charlotte.
Charlotte has no business in a thread like this. Richmond and Savannah have the history to be brought up, Nashville doesn't, and neither does Charlotte. Personally, any city that doesn't consist of Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Richmond, Charleston, or Savannah doesn't deserve to be in this thread. I don't consider DC or Baltimore southern in the least bit.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 AM

41 posts, read 45,324 times
Easily Atlanta. It's the most bustling, most happening from media, entertainment and probably economic perspectives. At first, I was gonna say Houston, but Texas is really its own region since it's so massive, so I don't see it as being "southern."

Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2LAFTW View Post
Easily Atlanta. It's the most bustling, most happening from media, entertainment and probably economic perspective. Is I was gonna say Houston, but Texas is really its own region since it's so massive, so I don't see it as being "southern."
Economy is to Houston, bustling is subjective, Houston is undoubtedly southern.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Calm down man. I love Charlotte, you are probably familiar with Neighboring Concepts, my uncle is the partner, his office is on Morehead St and has done many projects around there including the LYNX transit stops and the Harvey B. Gantt Center Uptown. I'd take downtown Atlanta over Uptown Charlotte.
Charlotte has no business in a thread like this. Richmond and Savannah have the history to be brought up, Nashville doesn't, and neither does Charlotte. Personally, any city that doesn't consist of Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Richmond, Charleston, or Savannah doesn't deserve to be in this thread. I don't consider DC or Baltimore southern in the least bit.
Cool beans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City