U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,568,832 times

Advertisements

Hell yes, it's Atlanta. I was waiting to see how Houston fared. Texas is Texas, part South and part West, so maybe Houston is the capital of the South-Central, though Houston is a more powerful metro area than Atlanta by most indications.

At a current voter pace of 5:1 Atlanta:Houston, I think ATL is the undisputed winner.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:18 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,699,584 times
Atlanta all day and twice on Sundays. This was settled years ago.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:56 AM

177 posts, read 200,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Jacksonville is bigger than Houston by square miles. What does that prove?

ATL did NOT...let me repeat that..DID NOT copy Houston's rap scene. They are two incredibly different type of styles.

You can fit 5 Houston's in Sitka, Alaska. Again, what does that prove?
yea but unlike the cities you mentioned houston has the population to back up its large area those cities you mentioned dont

Old 03-10-2012, 09:59 AM

18,248 posts, read 25,954,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han$ome Texan View Post
yea but unlike the cities you mentioned houston has the population to back up its large area those cities you mentioned dont
You proved mmy point. Dont know if you were trying.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 AM

5,964 posts, read 7,514,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Up north I'd always heard Atlanta was the "capital of the south". I think Texas is different from "the south" though. I've, for whatever reason, thought of Dallas as the spokesperson of Texas.
I agree that Taxas as a whole isnt south. Dallas people talk alot so one could get confused about Dallas being the spokesman for Tx. I can see that happening

Atlanta by its sheer size and embracing the South is what I would consider the current Capital of the South.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 AM

4,228 posts, read 4,126,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han$ome Texan View Post
Do realize if Atlanta had Houston land area it probably will be the 5 largest city by population? If anything you prove city limits don't matter. Atlanta city limits for a sun belt city under represent the area.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 AM

2,889 posts, read 4,129,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Do realize if Atlanta had Houston land area it probably will be the 5 largest city by population? If anything you prove city limits don't matter. Atlanta city limits for a sun belt city under represent the area.
If Atlanta's core density was consistent which it drops off sharply beyond the center of the city. With that said though..... the city limits debate is a silly one to argue. These days it doesn't matter what invisible city limits or county line you live behind because metro areas function as one.

Culturally and geographically Atlanta is the capital of the South no question there.

Historically capital cities were founded for geographic reasons. Most states capital cities and even the U.S. capital are not the largest or most important cities in their areas.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:21 PM

4,228 posts, read 4,126,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
If Atlanta's core density was consistent which it drops off sharply beyond the center of the city. With that said though..... the city limits debate is a silly one to argue. These days it doesn't matter what invisible city limits or county line you live behind because metro areas function as one.

Culturally and geographically Atlanta is the capital of the South no question there.

Historically capital cities were founded for geographic reasons. Most states capital cities and even the U.S. capital are not the largest or most important cities in their areas.
Debate? Not really Houston city limits is 579.4 sq mi and has 2 million. That's like North Fulton, Atlanta and Dekalb county. Philly is 1,526,006 Atlanta would pass that. And would end up some where between Houston and Philly populations. To come out 5th behind Houston. But this isn't nothing to be shocked about Houston has a large city limit, and Atlanta's small city limit doesn't represents the region well as a large sun belt metro. After the bold was my larger point I was trying to make anyways.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
well if thats the case san antonio is 470+ square miles which is three times the size of atl and has a smaller population than houston but a larger pop than dallas and atl. austin is extactly the same size as atl in land but still has higher pop than atl what does your point prove

Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post

mainstream wise i give to atl but underground its all houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City