U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2008, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,596 posts, read 26,969,651 times
Reputation: 9540

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The overwhelming results of this poll seem to show differently.
Who cares what some random poll on a website shows. There is no capital of the South. If you want to exclude both Texas and Florida, than yeah, you have your capital of the South because Atlanta dominates the rest of the region. But you cannot say the same if these two states are included.

 
Old 11-18-2008, 09:23 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,235,914 times
Reputation: 2780
Yes, I believe we can say the same...look at the results of the poll - and those two states WERE included. Of course you would say "who cares?" because it didn't end up in your favor.

We could survey people around the country (which is essentially what this is) and it would come out exactly the same because that is the perception of a majority of people. To appease you, it doesn't necessarily mean that Atlanta is the capital of the South, but most people see it that way.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 09:24 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,914,453 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I don't consider Texas "the South". It's Texas; something between the South, the West, and the lower Mid-west. It has its own huge coastline. So there goes Houston and Dallas out of the running.

I don't consider southern FL or Miami "the South" either.

So... answer would be - there is no capital. But if I HAD to choose, it would be Atlanta.
Wow, I bet you'd rather have back sugery without anesthesia rather than choosing the ATL. Why the needless "this isn't the South" explanation? Was it that difficult?
 
Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,612,814 times
Reputation: 7264
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yes, I believe we can say the same...look at the results of the poll - and those two states WERE included. Of course you would say "who cares?" because it didn't end up in your favor.

We could survey people around the country (which is essentially what this is) and it would come out exactly the same because that is the perception of a majority of people. To appease you, it doesn't necessarily mean that Atlanta is the capital of the South, but most people see it that way.
People exclude cities in Texas and Florida.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,914,453 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
People exclude cities in Texas and Florida.
The uninformed exclude Texas & Florida, keep them they're the geographic South (culture's only one part in this equation).
 
Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
22,811 posts, read 34,861,948 times
Reputation: 14949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
.....Ok, so how does Atlanta dominate the other cities???
Entertainment and shopping, for starters. Who do you think fills those hotels around Lenox Square, Phipps Plaza and Perimeter? People from other parts of the Southeast that come here for that reason. The next five weeks will really be brisk. It has been thus as long as I can remember.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 09:42 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,235,914 times
Reputation: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
People exclude cities in Texas and Florida.
Some might, but they didn't for the purposes of this poll.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,612,814 times
Reputation: 7264
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Entertainment and shopping, for starters. Who do you think fills those hotels around Lenox Square, Phipps Plaza and Perimeter? People from other parts of the Southeast that come here for that reason. The next five weeks will really be brisk. It has been thus as long as I can remember.
Yes because shopping and entertainment is on a higher level than Houston and Dallas, and especially Miami.... Also how important those two things are to the south.
 
Old 11-18-2008, 10:04 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
22,811 posts, read 34,861,948 times
Reputation: 14949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yes because shopping and entertainment is on a higher level than Houston and Dallas, and especially Miami.... Also how important those two things are to the south.
Excuse me while I go outside to converse with a brick wall
 
Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 PM
 
395 posts, read 902,948 times
Reputation: 194
Considering Housotn isn't the South it's kinda weird it's on there. Definitely Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top