U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 AM

10,167 posts, read 16,675,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin are in the Southwest not the South. As I said it before if Atlanta was in Texas it would be the 7 largest city in Texas
I am not arguing one way or another what is the Capital of the South (because I don't really believe there is a single one), but Texas is not the modern-day Southwest (as in the sense of New Mexico and Arizona), nor the "West" (such a Colorado or Montana). Rather, it is the major part of a sub-region best described as the "Western South" (which is what term "Southwest" -- when originally coined in the early days of western migration -- was intended to mean..that is, the frontier part of the South). This as opposed to the "Southeast". Together, both make up the diverse cultural and historical region traditionally known as the South.

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-20-2008 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 06:52 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,437,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
FALSE. My family and friends would beg to differ with you on this one. Most of the blacks in this state have far more in common with the South than they do with the Northeast and they were are raised in South Florida. Especially North Florida area from Tallahassee to Gainsville to Jacksonville. So I think it would be news to them if you tell them they do not have much in common with the rest of the South.
True although you do find some blacks native to Florida with Northern accents, for the most part blacks in Florida are culturally far more southern than anything else. The average New Yorker or Chicagoan would definitely see them as being southern if they met one.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think you all are misunderstanding the difference between center of the south and capital of the south again.

I'll explain again. There is no capital of the south. No city in the south dominates it's region like New York does to the Northeast or Chicago does in the Midwest.

But Atlanta is the center of the south because it is surrounded by more southern cities and states and is much more culturally tied and historically tied with the rest of the south than Houston, Dallas, or Miami. Does this downplay the role of those cities? Not even the slightest. But a random person in South Carolina, Tennessee, or even Mississippi would look to Atlanta over the other cities because Atlanta has been a historically big city in the south that outperformed it's other peers over the years which were Memphis, Birmingham, and New Orleans.
You keep comparing to NYC but you'd be hard pressed to find any other city in America with the kind of dominance it has, heck you could say NYC in many ways is the capital of the whole Nation.

And many Midwesterners I'm sure would disagree with Chicago being the Capital just because it's the biggest city. When I was a young man in Toledo for instance. Detroit and it's auto industry had a tremendous influence on the local economy ( much more than Chicago). Fashion was more influenced by Detroit and New York than Chicago. The music most of us kids listened to was either from New York, West Coast or the at the time new Southern hip hop scene (very few of us cared for the HOUSE music that was so popular in Chicago at the time) And if you wanted to go shopping out of town most would run down to Columbus or , if we really wanted to go big, New York. A lot of us went clubbing or bar hopping at the flats in Cleveland (almost none to Chicago) or to amusement parks in Sandusky or near Cinncinatti. Although I visited and enjoyed it a couple of times I just didn't see Chicago as being a very influential city to people in Ohio.

When it comes to the entire United States I think New York, LA, and D.C. are our economic, entertainment, government and cultural capitals. Other than that, it's just what major cities are closest to you that have the most influence.

And for the largest number of TRUE southerners that would be Atlanta.

Last edited by Galounger; 11-20-2008 at 07:54 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 08:08 AM

21,018 posts, read 33,013,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
And with over 50% of the vote, so no need for a runoff!
Not in the Great State of Georgia, anyway.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin are in the Southwest not the South. As I said it before if Atlanta was in Texas it would be the 7 largest city in Texas
LOL so there are six cities larger than Atlanta in Texas?
Texans have made hyperbole an art form.

Last edited by Iconographer; 11-20-2008 at 09:25 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
True but very misleading fact. For instance, El Paso is technically larger than Atlanta but it covers an area only slightly smaller than Dekalb county and has a metro population less than that of Gwinnett county.

And let's not forget Texas covers an area larger than Georgia, Florida, South / North Carolina and Tennessee combined. That area would include Atlanta, Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, Raliegh Durham, and Charleston If placed around Atlanta.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:19 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,787,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
^^ Houston's Downtown alone is total of Downtown + Midtown + Buckhead Atlanta.
Sorry, Angel but this is not correct and I see this mentioned all the time.

Downtown Houston: 35.5 million sq ft

Downtown Atlanta: 17.4 million sf +
Midtown Atlanta: 14.1 million sf = 31.6 million sf

Our "core" office space is just slightly lower than Downtown Houston. Add in all the Federal and State space and it's a wash. Buckhead adds 13.4 million sf to the picture, with an additional 2 million sf under construction at present.

Just sayin........

Old 11-20-2008, 09:21 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,245,834 times
Charleston is the cultural archetype of the south.

Atlanta is the primate city of the south.

Richmond is the historical 'capital' of the south.

New Orleans is the Id of the south.

Houston isn't part of the south, it is part of Texas.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

Houston is the inevitable pit that the south is ultimately doomed to look like, given enough cultural homogenization.
I would ask for clarification, but I don't even want to go there...

Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 AM

6,917 posts, read 9,614,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

Houston isn't part of the south, it is part of Texas.
When Willie B was alive I would agree, but know that he is gone, this title is up for grabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City