Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,806,589 times

Advertisements

Maybe I never really payed attention to raleigh. Spade do you currently live in Texas.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:16 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
..... I'm guessing you didn't see my last post?
Apparently the majority of americans are stupid. When you ask some normal person what is the bigger city between Houston or Dallas, they say Houston, not Dallas because of its metro area.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:41 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Maybe I never really payed attention to raleigh. Spade do you currently live in Texas.
I'm from Texas but I currently live just outside Washington D.C.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Apparently the majority of americans are stupid. When you ask some normal person what is the bigger city between Houston or Dallas, they say Houston, not Dallas because of its metro area.
City population numbers are irrelevant.
different cities have different sizes. If Houston was the size of Philadelphia, Houston would not be the 4th largest city in the country. If Detroit was the size of Houston, Houston again would not be the 4th largest city in the country

If the state of Texas had annexation rules like the rest of the country does with it's own cities, Texas would not have one city in the top 10.

If you went by city populations than:
San Antonio is bigger than San Francisco
Austin is bigger than Atlanta
Jacksonville is bigger than Miami
Memphis is bigger than Washington D.C.
Phoenix is bigger than Philadelphia
Charlotte is bigger than Boston

The cities in bold are primary cities of areas that have at 2 million more people than the peers that are suppose to be the bigger "city." If you ask any Floridian in here what the biggest city in Florida is, they will tell you Miami. But according to city population numbers, Jacksonville is bigger than Miami by 500,000. Same with any other comparison I made. Austin is no way bigger than Atlanta.

You have to look at the entire metro areas. Cities outgrow their boundaries and they all work as one. That's why sports leagues look at the entire area. Why do you think Miami has NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA? While Florida's supposed largest city only has NFL and it's struggling to keep that. Same with Memphis compared to DC or Charlotte compared to Boston. Also, Houston IS bigger than Dallas. It however is not bigger than Dallas plus Fort Worth. Dallas MSA population is 4.1 million. Houston MSA is just under 5 million. But the DFW MSA has 6.1 million people. Also most people, outside of the Texas and the immediate region, does not know that Houston is the 4th largest city let alone does not know that Houston is bigger than Dallas. In fact, I would say most think Dallas is the biggest because that's the city they heard of the most.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:20 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,806,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
different cities have different sizes. If Houston was the size of Philadelphia, Houston would not be the 4th largest city in the country. If Detroit was the size of Houston, Houston again would not be the 4th largest city in the country

If the state of Texas had annexation rules like the rest of the country does with it's own cities, Texas would not have one city in the top 10.

The cities in bold are primary cities of areas that have at 2 million more people than the peers that are suppose to be the bigger "city." If you ask any Floridian in here what the biggest city in Florida is, they will tell you Miami. But according to city population numbers, Jacksonville is bigger than Miami by 500,000. Same with any other comparison I made. Austin is no way bigger than Atlanta.

You have to look at the entire metro areas. Cities outgrow their boundaries and they all work as one. That's why sports leagues look at the entire area. Why do you think Miami has NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA? While Florida's supposed largest city only has NFL and it's struggling to keep that. Same with Memphis compared to DC or Charlotte compared to Boston. Also, Houston IS bigger than Dallas. It however is not bigger than Dallas plus Fort Worth. Dallas MSA population is 4.1 million. Houston MSA is just under 5 million. But the DFW MSA has 6.1 million people. Also most people, outside of the Texas and the immediate region, does not know that Houston is the 4th largest city let alone does not know that Houston is bigger than Dallas. In fact, I would say most think Dallas is the biggest because that's the city they heard of the most.
That is pretty accurate. Jacksonville is the largest city in FL yet miami metro has 4 francchises. I agree metro counts alot more. San Antonio is actually larger than Dallas in terms of city-limit population, but Because Dallas metro is 6million and san antonio metro is only 2million dallas is gonna be seen as the larger media market and therefore have more sports franchises.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,663,257 times
All wrong. Until the mid 20th century New Orleans was the big kid on the block for the south.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
All wrong. Until the mid 20th century New Orleans was the big kid on the block for the south.
Yeah I mentioned that earlier in the thread I believe. But as of now, it is not on the level of the other four.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:47 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,784,389 times
...... I don't know about any of you, but I'd rather look at population numbers.
By doing that, I see that my town is bigger than alot of cities, instead of the other way around.

Look, Ft. Worth doesn't have much. Hell, two times today, TWO times just today, I had to get into the whole "Ft. Worth and Dallas aren't the same" argument. By looking at city population, our town is lookin' up.
Plus, when people say "DFW", they usually mean Dallas, while Ft. Worth is seen as a county or just a name or something. I almost never hear Ft. Worth mentioned without someone saying Dallas first.

So the way I see it is... we've got the "on top of the world" feel.... don't stomp on that.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:02 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,713,667 times
Spread a rumor that a tornado is coming for dallas that is unpresidented within the next year and they'll flock to ft. worth. Than youll get the on top of the world feeling

Old 11-20-2008, 10:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Yeah that's great and all ,but the normal person dosen't go by metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City