U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 PM

3,047 posts, read 7,967,131 times

Advertisements

westhou, please refer to threads such as these:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...d-largest.html

besides, that is not the point.

the point is Atlanta was seen as fit to hold the Olympic Games which gave billions of people the view of that wonderful city no matter if they were in Argentina or China. That's why Atlanta is always talked about 1st before Houston, more people are familar with it. If you bring up Houston people will talk about the Houston Oilers who are now the Tennessee Titans, all of the parking lots in the downtown which makes it look ugly, etc.

bottomline, as soon as a city is chosen as fit enough to hold an Olympic Games their stature flies up the charts. If houston held the Olympics in say 2020, they would probably surpass Atlanta as the Capital of the South IMO. But the legislators of Houston don't even see their city as fit enough to hold a games, let alone have the international committee choose them...one can not underestimate the influence the Olympic Games have.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:53 PM

572 posts, read 967,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post

the point is Atlanta was seen as fit to hold the Olympic Game which gave billions of people the view of that wonderful city no matter if they were in Argentina or China. That's why Atlanta is always talked about 1st before Houston, more people are familar with it. If you bring up Houston people will talk about the Houston Oilers who are now the Tennessee Titans, all of the parking lots in the downtown which makes it look ugly, etc.

bottomline, as soon as a city is chosen as fit enough to hold an Olympic Games their stature flies up the charts. If houston held the Olympics in say 2020, they would probably surpass Atlanta as the Capital of the South IMO. But the legislators of Houston don't even see their city as fit enough to hold a games, let alone have the international committee choose them...one can not underestimate the influence the Olympic Games have.
So is Salt Lake city on par with Atlanta?

Old 09-22-2008, 02:56 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,397,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post

the point is Atlanta was seen as fit to hold the Olympic Games which gave billions of people the view of that wonderful city no matter if they were in Argentina or China. That's why Atlanta is always talked about 1st before Houston, more people are familar with it. If you bring up Houston people will talk about the Houston Oilers who are now the Tennessee Titans, all of the parking lots in the downtown which makes it look ugly, etc.

i'm not even sure how to respond to this. so your saying that the importance of a city rest on whether it has held the olympics or not?

as for the Houston Oilers comment...oh my!! are you serious? why did you even bother to type that? if you want to have a rational discussion than please leave out ignorance like that.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:00 PM

LOL...you obviously underestimate the importance of an Olympic games and the shear dollar amounts involved. It's no coincidence that Atlanta has the busiest airport as well as a history that includes the Olympic games. Its' infrastructure is tried and true. I'm not even sure Houston has an infrastructure! obviously i am being sarcastic but its' not like houston's rail lines are something to write home about. why? because it is a car-centered city, thus all of the ugly parking lots downtown opposed to parking garages.

it just seems like a lot of houstonians are desperate for attention and respect for their city, your city is awesome! who cares what other people think, right? you should just enjoy houston...every minute of it! and do not worry what others say or think about your wonderful town.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:01 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,847,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
The Summer Olympics obviously have more prestige and require much more investmnt from their host cities than the Winter Olympics.

If your city has hosted the Summer Olympics, then it has status.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:04 PM

572 posts, read 967,304 times
[quote=At1WithNature;5375627]LOL...you obviously underestimate the importance of an Olympic games and the shear dollar amounts involved. It's no coincidence that Atlanta has the busiest airport as well as a history that includes the Olympic games. Its' infrastructure is tried and true. I'm not even sure Houston has an infrastructure! obviously i am being sarcastic but its' not like houston's rail lines are something to write home about. why? because it is a car-centered city, thus all of the ugly parking lots downtown opposed to parking garages.

QUOTE]

seriously, you're going to go there when defending ATLANTA??

Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
all i am saying is there is a ton of strict criteria a city has to meet in order to hold a Games. The olympics games are not the be-all, end-all but they sure as all heck are a good indicator/3rd party that we can reference in order to back up the conclusion that Atlanta is the capital of the south (for now beacuse houston is rising fast).

Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 PM

395 posts, read 374,211 times
Im not sure Austin , Houstoun, or Dallas should be on this list. I know Texas can be Southern- but its more its own country, IMO. If Richmond is too small, then I would go with Atlanta- but I feel that Atlanta is more in tune with NYC than the South.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:06 PM

13,346 posts, read 7,301,172 times
While I agree with Atlanta, I think Charleston is runner up, especially if we're talking "old South" before the war of Northern Agression.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:07 PM

personally, i don't even like atlanta! been there, done that throughout the mid to late 90's. i just recognize is as the capital of the south. no offense, carolinablue(Michael Jordan Blue). i respect your opinion and often agree with what you have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.