U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:04 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,665,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Being from Texas, I admired your big ego about Atlanta.. I thought Shreveport, La was the Hollywood of the South. About the counties, maybe we should combine Baltimore and DC,Houston and Beaumont, San Diego and LA

Well the reason why people have been saying that Atlanta is the black hollywood of the Usa is due to the fact that we are 9th in the USA for TV and Radio and due to numerous of movies filmed here and Also thanks too tyler perry studios

Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yes Atlanta is the black hollywood of the south. Thats what I give atlanta props for. But I think Miami is THE hollywood of the south personally. I used to live in South Florida to and there are alot of stars who have homes down there. But I definately agree that atlanta is the black hollywood of the south. Tyler Perry just opened a new movie studio in ATL called Tyler Perry Studios. Have you been?
Yes i have been i have 3 friends who have relocated from LA to come and work for Tyler Perry . I think its wonderful what he is doing for the people who cant really make it in hollywood given them a chance to shine.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:49 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,493,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Well the reason why people have been saying that Atlanta is the black hollywood of the Usa is due to the fact that we are 9th in the USA for TV and Radio and due to numerous of movies filmed here and Also thanks too tyler perry studios
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. This does not determine a city being the "Black Hollywood of the South".

No disrespect to Tyler Perry though, but he needs to come up with some better plots. His movies are starting to become just rinse and repeat. Wife cheats, women gets beat, alcohol/drugs, thugs taking over then losing in the end, etc.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. This does not determine a city being the "Black Hollywood of the South".

No disrespect to Tyler Perry though, but he needs to come up with some better plots. His movies are starting to become just rinse and repeat. Wife cheats, women gets beat, alcohol/drugs, thugs taking over then losing in the end, etc.

Well people seem to like it with all the Millions of dollars he Has made from the movies. For someone to have never stepped foot in hollywood is sure doing a hell of a job And Atlanta is the Black hollywood of the south Thanks Everyone knows that

Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 PM

21,130 posts, read 33,119,724 times
Quote:

'Rinse and Repeat' must be a money-making proposition...more so than the majority of what Hollywood is turning out these days. The audience has the last word in this arena, not the critics...and TP is a prime example of that maxim.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:37 PM

Yeah it makes money, but so does Soulja Boy's dumb dance...

I work at the movies and stood through the end of the 'Family that Preys' and almost everyone walking out said the same exact thing: "I like it, but his movies are the same", or "it was good, but its too much like his other movies". It doesn't have to be good to make millions. Plenty of garbage movies make millions. Each movie he makes now are making less and less at the box office. I hope he branches out more with his movies is all I'm saying.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:17 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,887,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
'Rinse and Repeat' must be a money-making proposition...more so than the majority of what Hollywood is turning out these days. The audience has the last word in this arena, not the critics...and TP is a prime example of that maxim.
Actually you hear lots of blacks starting to complain about his movies becoming too redudant. The problem with Atlanta is it caters too much to the black community. It considers itself the "Black Mecca", "Black Hollywood",etc....Houston and Dallas are cities that caters too everyone and draws in all types of races and not just blacks.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:37 PM

6,934 posts, read 9,636,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually you hear lots of blacks starting to complain about his movies becoming too redudant. The problem with Atlanta is it caters too much to the black community. It considers itself the "Black Mecca", "Black Hollywood",etc....Houston and Dallas are cities that caters too everyone and draws in all types of races and not just blacks.
I am wanting to respond to this inane post, but feel Loving Decatur will articulate a response and a much better fashion. You wanna have a take at this LD?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I am wanting to respond to this inane post, but feel Loving Decatur will articulate a response and a much better fashion. You wanna have a take at this LD?
His first sentence was spot on. After that though, pretty dumb. Atlanta caters to all types of people, with just more towards the Black community. Nothing wrong with that. Atlanta doesn't come close to Houston diversity though. No where near it. Same with Dallas, though Dallas is more Black and White like Atlanta.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:35 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,857,090 times
Quote:
His first sentence was spot on. After that though, pretty dumb. Atlanta caters to all types of people, with just more towards the Black community. Nothing wrong with that. Atlanta doesn't come close to Houston diversity though. No where near it. Same with Dallas, though Dallas is more Black and White like Atlanta.
Atlanta caters to all types of people...true...but no MORE towards black culture than white - just more toward black culture than most other cities, which probably makes it seem like more black than anything else. There is a good bit of "white" entertainment coming out of Atlanta, with Turner Broadcasting, Jeff Foxworthy and that whole tired show, Paula Deen's Food Network show, a handful of home shows on HGTV and A&E are from Atlanta...not to mention CNN broadcasting from Atlanta as well as The Weather Channel. There is entertainment of all colors coming from Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City