U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 AM

10,167 posts, read 16,642,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I agree. New Orleans has always been the most well known city in the South.
I know this might sound a little strange to say, but I put San Antonio in somewhat of the same class as I do New Orleans. Or at least "Old San Antone." That is, it combines "Southern" with the established elements of its origins from the "Old Country"

Obviously, this is French in the case of New Orleans.

As concerns San Antonio, because of the overwhelmingly dominant hispanic influence today, that it could be considered a true old time Southern city might seem a little silly. However, in it's earlier days, and up until not too terribly long ago, San Antonio was said to be a combination of "Old South and Old Mexico." If one gets into the historical district and the older neighborhoods, such is quite apparent.

Ok, ok...I am waiting for someone to say "stay off the keyboard while you are drinking beer, Tex." But I stand by the sentiments!

Old 12-06-2008, 12:37 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I'm not sure what you're correcting me on, since I never said Austin has a bigger corporate presence than SA. And yes, Dell is in Round Rock...so what? It's near Austin city limits. I was talking metro areas anyway. And Austin has more companies than the two I named.

As for the airport, yes, SA is expanding their airport, but Austin is expanding their airport as well (or I believe they just finished). Austin's airport has a lot more direct flights, more airlines, and is busier (and growing faster) than San Antonio's airport.

And again, Charlotte and Austin both have rail, while SA is going to have bus-rapid transit instead.
Yes I agree Round Rock is in Austin metro. I used to live in Round Rock.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't really think so...Austantonio would have a population of 3.6 million and a massive land area of almost 12,000 square miles - about the area of Metro Atlanta and Metro Charlotte combined.

Atlanta would still be almost double the population of Austantonio, with triple the skyline.

At San Antonio's current population of 1.9 million, it is a little smaller than Charlotte at 2.5 million and a little larger than Virginia Beach at 1.8 million, Raleigh at 1.6 million, and Nashville at 1.5 million. San Antonio isn't going to dwarf any of those cities...and actually Louisville, Memphis, Richmond, and Birmingham aren't far behind in population.
Well actually if you're talking about city-limits it would definitely dwarf those cities. Over here in NC the largest city is charlotte and it has a population of 680,000 people, thats smaller than Austin. But to your credit if we infact go by metro than it wouldnt be much larger than any of the afformentioned cities. And by the way I like the name Austantonio sounds catchy.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I know this might sound a little strange to say, but I put San Antonio in somewhat of the same class as I do New Orleans. Or at least "Old San Antone." That is, it combines "Southern" with the established elements of its origins from the "Old Country"

Obviously, this is French in the case of New Orleans.

As concerns San Antonio, because of the overwhelmingly dominant hispanic influence today, that it could be considered a true old time Southern city might seem a little silly. However, in it's earlier days, and up until not too terribly long ago, San Antonio was said to be a combination of "Old South and Old Mexico." If one gets into the historical district and the older neighborhoods, such is quite apparent.

Ok, ok...I am waiting for someone to say "stay off the keyboard while you are drinking beer, Tex." But I stand by the sentiments!
I agree with the Old time mexico feeling. With all the spanish-style houses they have there. Kinda looks like some parts of FL or CA.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree with the Old time mexico feeling. With all the spanish-style houses they have there. Kinda looks like some parts of FL or CA.
*grins* But not the Old South part, huh?

Seriously, here is an excerpt from the Texas Rep. Charles Gonzales page:

As throughout its storied history, San Antonio continues to be the crossroads of many different cultures and traditions. From the original Native American tribes to the Spanish missionaries to the early Mexican republic to the German settlers to the cowboys of the cattle trails to the grandeur and majesty of the Old South to the military bases, San Antonio represents the beautiful tapestry of the myriad influences and styles of South Texas

The historic Robert E. Lee Hotel downtown and many parts of the older areas have a strong Old South feel to it. In fact, I would venture to say, even if not true anymore, San Antonio has more true old Old South influence than any major city in Texas. Not say it is "more Southern" than Houston or Dallas, but just more historic "Old South" deserving of mention in the same breath with a Charleston or New Orleans

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-06-2008 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-06-2008, 02:19 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
I thought you were talking about Austin having a bigger corporate presence than San Antonio. Sorry about that.

BTW-This is Austin's expansion.
No it's not. That's just a temporary structure. And still, AUS has more destinations, airlines, and passengers than SA. AUS has also become a regional hub for JetBlue airlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
San Antonio is the third fastest growing city in America. If you put San Antonio in NC it would dwarf any city there. Same goes gor Austin. Since the metro areas are just five miles apart, the San Antonio/Austin metro area would definitely be the No 1 or 2 player in the SE area, excluding Fla.
I believe you're talking about city limits, therefore you may be right. Don't know why you would go by city limits though. If you're talking about metro areas, then the San Antonio area isn't. Austin and Charlotte have grown faster than SA from 2000-2007 alone. Not to mention the larger southern metro areas.

And excluding Florida, a combined Austin-San Antonio would not dwarf any city in the Southeast. And again, if you're talking about city limits, then yeah you're right, but city limits in this case don't matter at all. If it did, then cities like Seattle, Boston, and Atlanta would be inferior to San Antonio (which they aren't at all).

Old 12-06-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:

As throughout its storied history, San Antonio continues to be the crossroads of many different cultures and traditions. From the original Native American tribes to the Spanish missionaries to the early Mexican republic to the German settlers to the cowboys of the cattle trails to the grandeur and majesty of the Old South to the military bases, San Antonio represents the beautiful tapestry of the myriad influences and styles of South Texas

The historic Robert E. Lee Hotel downtown and many parts of the older areas have a strong Old South feel to it. In fact, I would venture to say, even if not true anymore, San Antonio has more true old Old South influence than any major city in Texas. Not say it is "more Southern" than Houston or Dallas, but just more historic "Old South" deserving of mention in the same breath with a Charleston or New Orleans
Hmmmm. I somewhat agree. But it also has a large German influence also. But it never really felt as southern to me as Houston or Dallas. When I lived in Austin it always felt like a mixture between south and southwest. And San Antonio always felt just Southwest to me never south.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:03 PM

251 posts, read 621,098 times
Quote:

What majesty of the old south are you talking about?

Old 12-06-2008, 06:12 PM

251 posts, read 621,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't really think so...Austantonio would have a population of 3.6 million and a massive land area of almost 12,000 square miles - about the area of Metro Atlanta and Metro Charlotte combined.

Atlanta would still be almost double the population of Austantonio, with triple the skyline.

At San Antonio's current population of 1.9 million, it is a little smaller than Charlotte at 2.5 million and a little larger than Virginia Beach at 1.8 million, Raleigh at 1.6 million, and Nashville at 1.5 million. San Antonio isn't going to dwarf any of those cities...and actually Louisville, Memphis, Richmond, and Birmingham aren't far behind in population.
MSA's don't compare to CSA's.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
What majesty of the old south are you talking about?

I am not talking about it. I am quoting what the U.S. Texas Rep. Charles Gonzales says (I think he is from the neighborhood), reckon?

But now that you mention it? The old historic district of San Antonio has grand elements of the Old South. As do the historic neighborhoods. Bexar County was a "hot bed" of secessionist sentiment in 1861. How could it be any different? After the Texas Revolution, many hispanics left Texas and, like the rest of Texas, it was settlers from the southeast who made the state what it is. San Antonio was an established town of Old Mexico origins. Southerners moved into it and brought their (our) own culture which built it.

Old South and Old Mexico is Old San Antone...(wish I could write country music! LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City