Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
The links were meant to demonstrate the more upscale issue, not 'better'. NorthPark having one of only three Barneys of NY flagship stores speaks volumes.

I haven't been inside the Houston Galleria in about 5 years, but friends in Cypress say it's becoming somewhat, ummmm... hood.
It is about as hood as Northpark......

Old 12-13-2008, 10:03 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It is about as hood as Northpark......
the hood malls in Houston would be Greenspoint, Sharpstown, and now West Oaks.....not so much the Galleria.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
the hood malls in Houston would be Greenspoint, Sharpstown, and now West Oaks.....not so much the Galleria.
Sharsptown is just horrible. It is basically turning into a big flea market. Is Greenspoint worse than Sharpstown?? I heard it is better.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times
Quote:
Sharsptown is just horrible. It is basically turning into a big flea market. Is Greenspoint worse than Sharpstown?? I heard it is better.
both are equally bad. earlier this year a mall employee was shot in one of the stores in Greenspoint. both need to be demolished and replaced with something else that does not attract the general public. maybe an office building. i used to work at west oaks mall when i was in high school and it actually used to be a nice mall but it has recently gone down hill. it's not as bad as sharpstown and greenspoint but it will be there pretty soon if something drastic isn't done.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
both are equally bad. earlier this year a mall employee was shot in one of the stores in Greenspoint. both need to be demolished and replaced with something else that does not attract the general public. maybe an office building. i used to work at west oaks mall when i was in high school and it actually used to be a nice mall but it has recently gone down hill. it's not as bad as sharpstown and greenspoint but it will be there pretty soon if something drastic isn't done.
It is the surrounding communities of Sharsptown and Greenspoint that lead them to be the way they are.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:48 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
Quote:
I agree because I'm not into expensive clothes and all the fine things. However, Dallas has more "upscale" stores than Houston. For example, Dallas has Valentino's or 7 for all mankind. Houston does have some firsts itself, but usually Dallas end up getting them too.
Uh...The Galleria in Houston has a Valentino...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
NorthPark is on another level beyond Houston Galleria.

Store directories:

NorthPark Center Dallas
NorthPark Center - The Premier Shopping and Dining Center in Dallas

Galleria Houston
Simon.com - Mall Directory
I'm looking and looking, but can't seem to see how Northpark is on another level compared to Houston's Galleria. Oh, and the Houston Galleria no where near hood. I was just in Northpark Mall in October (and until recently, use to live in DFW and rode DART to Northpark), and there really is no difference in the shoppers there from the Houston Galleria (except, you see a more diverse population in the Galleria). And does it matter that Northpark has a Barney's when Houston may be getting one in a development across the freeway (which will include a W Hotel)?

Last edited by Trae713; 12-13-2008 at 10:56 PM..

Old 12-13-2008, 11:19 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
How is Northpark considered more upscale than the Houston Galleria though? Could you provide some info?

Austin is not a diverse city or metro area(outside of UT). Plain and simple. Blacks don't suffer in Austin, but there is a very small percentage of Blacks in Metro Austin.
I agree there is a small percentage.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:21 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Well, let me count the ways but for now I can only give a couple due to time.
First, if it was not for Author Blank and his millions in land donations for Coke, Charlotte would have Coca Cola.
Bank of America just announced in the Chronicle that they will be leaving Atlanta and the Bank of America building for what? Oh Charlotte.

NC is poised to exceed Georgia in total population by 2012 if not by the 2010 census. Though Charlotte metro is not the size of Atlanta metro, Charlotte City is larger now than Atlanta City by over 200,000 folks.

Thanks to our now jailed former Mayor and the overall dismal leadership of Franklin and her court, if not for the Buckhead Business leaders and other private business support such as Blank etc., Atlanta would even be worse off than it is now. We should be thankful that it is sealed in the State Constitutional Charter that Milton County cannot be re-introduced unless we change the state constitution or Atlanta would lose close to 40% of it's tax revenue from North Fulton, of which are working diligently to remove themselves.

Now, maybe if the general population of Atlanta would ever wake up and finally elect good leadership, export the current lousy council and say goodbye to Queen Shirley then Atlanta will be the jewel of the South as it should be.
But how does tht mean Charlotte will be capital of the south. Why not Houston which is way larger and has way more f500 companies. What about dallas, same reason as houston. If ATL falls of I think houston or dallas will take its place waaaaay before charlotte does.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:45 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
Atlanta isn't the Capital of the South if you include Houston and Dallas though. Atlanta is not above those two cities in anything. If you exclude Texas and Florida, then yeah, Atlanta is the Capital.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:03 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Atlanta isn't the Capital of the South if you include Houston and Dallas though. Atlanta is not above those two cities in anything. If you exclude Texas and Florida, then yeah, Atlanta is the Capital.
Sorry, but the overwhelming majority of people who voted in this poll apparently disagree with you. It doesn't take away from Houston or Dallas, but Atlanta is the clear winner of this poll.

And yes, Atlanta is "above" Houston and Dallas in at least one thing: its airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City