U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,846 posts, read 12,403,845 times
Reputation: 5772

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Yeah, after Katrina, a natural disaster. Living in NOLA I found that most people think of Texas as a kind of option of last resort, if they think of it at all, so that's fitting, I guess. Not like Atlanta, which has an image conjured from the media (Hotlanta!) so people actually WANT to move there. Most people have no clue that our major cities are as diverse or cultural as they are, trust me. It may be hard for a native to believe, but Texas is really not often thought of anywhere, not even in the rest of the South. I said that about the colleges thing because no single Texas city can claim as high a concentration of good universities as Atlanta. Many move there for college, graduate, and stay on to work for the various companies there. I lived in NOLA pre-Katrina and I'm telling you based on my experiences with people from there and nearby states, Atlanta is much, much more thought of as the South's regional center aka capital than any city in Texas will ever be.
you have to be kidding with this post. if Houston is an option of last resort, why are thousands of New Orleans people still living in Houston? If Atlanta is the place to be you would think they would have found their way to Atlanta by now. Instead thousands of former New Orleans residents have decided to make Houston their home.

it's difficult to have this discussion with you because in order to make your point you have to tear down another city. i believe Atlanta as well as all the other southern cities are great cities and have much to offer. Thats why i don't think any single city in the south deserves the "capital" title.

it's frustrating to read your posts when you litter it with insults to other cities.

 
Old 09-22-2008, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,413,269 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
you have to be kidding with this post. if Houston is an option of last resort, why are thousands of New Orleans people still living in Houston? If Atlanta is the place to be you would think they would have found their way to Atlanta by now. Instead thousands of former New Orleans residents have decided to make Houston their home.

it's difficult to have this discussion with you because in order to make your point you have to tear down another city. i believe Atlanta as well as all the other southern cities are great cities and have much to offer. Thats why i don't think any single city in the south deserves the "capital" title.

it's frustrating to read your posts when you litter it with insults to other cities.

Dude, she's houstoner. Believe her.
 
Old 09-22-2008, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,227 posts, read 25,925,308 times
Reputation: 8987
First off, there is no such thing as capital of the South. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami all have an argument for being the capital of the South. No other city does not. These are by far right now the dominate cities in culture, economics, strength, growth, diversity, amenities, etc. Richmond, New Orleans, Charleston had an argument for the title 100 years ago. They are not on the radar now for the argument. Charlotte, Tampa, Austin, and San Antonio are nice growing cities but are a tier under the top 4 cities.

With that said, the OP is confusing "capital" with "center." Houston and Dallas sphere reaches only to maybe the state of Mississippi and north through parts of Arkansas. That's it. Miami's sphere doesn't even go out of Florida. Atlanta's sphere of influence is much more broader than the other 3 cities. It is the center of historical Southern states which are Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi, Eastern Louisiana, Northern Florida, and North Carolina. Atlanta has a much greater argument to being the center of the south than Houston, Dallas, or Miami.

THAT'S what houstoner was talking about. Now I will say that the state of Louisiana outside of New Orleans is heavily influenced by Houston and Dallas especially Lake Charles to Lafayette (Houston) and Shreveport to Monroe (Dallas). That's why I said maybe Mississippi. But New Orleans, while 150 miles closer to Houston than Atlanta, may have more cultural connections to Atlanta than Houston does but not by much. To be fair though, Atlanta's sphere does not reach Texas and it's basically nonexistant by the time it reaches Texas. This is why some people have a hard time calling Texas a strictly southern State. While it does have characteristics and has very much in common with the rest of the South. Texans have their own thing essentially different from the rest of the South.
 
Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,846 posts, read 12,403,845 times
Reputation: 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
First off, there is no such thing as capital of the South. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami all have an argument for being the capital of the South. No other city does not. These are by far right now the dominate cities in culture, economics, strength, growth, diversity, amenities, etc. Richmond, New Orleans, Charleston had an argument for the title 100 years ago. They are not on the radar now for the argument. Charlotte, Tampa, Austin, and San Antonio are nice growing cities but are a tier under the top 4 cities.

With that said, the OP is confusing "capital" with "center." Houston and Dallas sphere reaches only to maybe the state of Mississippi and north through parts of Arkansas. That's it. Miami's sphere doesn't even go out of Florida. Atlanta's sphere of influence is much more broader than the other 3 cities. It is the center of historical Southern states which are Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi, Eastern Louisiana, Northern Florida, and North Carolina. Atlanta has a much greater argument to being the center of the south than Houston, Dallas, or Miami.

THAT'S what houstoner was talking about. Now I will say that the state of Louisiana outside of New Orleans is heavily influenced by Houston and Dallas especially Lake Charles to Lafayette (Houston) and Shreveport to Monroe (Dallas). That's why I said maybe Mississippi. But New Orleans, while 150 miles closer to Houston than Atlanta, may have more cultural connections to Atlanta than Houston does but not by much. To be fair though, Atlanta's sphere does not reach Texas and it's basically nonexistant by the time it reaches Texas. This is why some people have a hard time calling Texas a strictly southern State. While it does have characteristics and has very much in common with the rest of the South. Texans have their own thing essentially different from the rest of the South.
thank you for that very well stated post. i like that you were able to state your opinion without trashing other cities in the process.
 
Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,855,627 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
you have to be kidding with this post. if Houston is an option of last resort, why are thousands of New Orleans people still living in Houston? If Atlanta is the place to be you would think they would have found their way to Atlanta by now. Instead thousands of former New Orleans residents have decided to make Houston their home.
Obviously Houston pulled more than its fair share of Katrina evcauees, but Atlanta got a pretty decent share as well: Katrina exodus leads thousands home, to Atlanta - USATODAY.com
 
Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 AM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,226,568 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
you have to be kidding with this post. if Houston is an option of last resort, why are thousands of New Orleans people still living in Houston? If Atlanta is the place to be you would think they would have found their way to Atlanta by now. Instead thousands of former New Orleans residents have decided to make Houston their home.

it's difficult to have this discussion with you because in order to make your point you have to tear down another city. i believe Atlanta as well as all the other southern cities are great cities and have much to offer. Thats why i don't think any single city in the south deserves the "capital" title.

it's frustrating to read your posts when you litter it with insults to other cities.
What other cities did I insult? I live in Texas. I was just relating what I gleaned in conversations with people there who were from LA, AL, MS, TN, GA, FL, and other areas of the South. They barely think of Texas as part of the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
First off, there is no such thing as capital of the South. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami all have an argument for being the capital of the South. No other city does not. These are by far right now the dominate cities in culture, economics, strength, growth, diversity, amenities, etc. Richmond, New Orleans, Charleston had an argument for the title 100 years ago. They are not on the radar now for the argument. Charlotte, Tampa, Austin, and San Antonio are nice growing cities but are a tier under the top 4 cities.

With that said, the OP is confusing "capital" with "center." Houston and Dallas sphere reaches only to maybe the state of Mississippi and north through parts of Arkansas. That's it. Miami's sphere doesn't even go out of Florida. Atlanta's sphere of influence is much more broader than the other 3 cities. It is the center of historical Southern states which are Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi, Eastern Louisiana, Northern Florida, and North Carolina. Atlanta has a much greater argument to being the center of the south than Houston, Dallas, or Miami.

THAT'S what houstoner was talking about. Now I will say that the state of Louisiana outside of New Orleans is heavily influenced by Houston and Dallas especially Lake Charles to Lafayette (Houston) and Shreveport to Monroe (Dallas). That's why I said maybe Mississippi. But New Orleans, while 150 miles closer to Houston than Atlanta, may have more cultural connections to Atlanta than Houston does but not by much. To be fair though, Atlanta's sphere does not reach Texas and it's basically nonexistant by the time it reaches Texas. This is why some people have a hard time calling Texas a strictly southern State. While it does have characteristics and has very much in common with the rest of the South. Texans have their own thing essentially different from the rest of the South.
Indeed it was. Although I'm not sure about Texas's (Houston's) sphere of influence reaching Mississippi heading due east... I don't think it goes much farther than southwestern Louisiana. But we can agree to disagree on that.

Last edited by houstoner; 09-23-2008 at 01:09 AM..
 
Old 09-23-2008, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,227 posts, read 25,925,308 times
Reputation: 8987
Actually I think we do somewhat agree lol. That's why I said maybe and I should have made that a big maybe and I said Houston's influence maybe stops at Lafayette. But Houston does have a name in Baton Rouge as well but not really much an influence.

Now for the northern part of the state. Based on experience, Shreveport and Monroe are heavily favored towards Dallas. Most residents I spoke to usually head to Dallas for a weekend trip or want to move to Dallas because it's simply right down the road.
 
Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 AM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,226,568 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually I think we do somewhat agree lol. That's why I said maybe and I should have made that a big maybe and I said Houston's influence maybe stops at Lafayette. But Houston does have a name in Baton Rouge as well but not really much an influence.

Now for the northern part of the state. Based on experience, Shreveport and Monroe are heavily favored towards Dallas. Most residents I spoke to usually head to Dallas for a weekend trip or want to move to Dallas because it's simply right down the road.
Yes, that's the part of Texas I grew up in, the northeast. I can vouch for that. Same with parts of Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Btw, thanks for "translating" what I was saying!
 
Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,937 posts, read 32,927,532 times
Reputation: 12576
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
you have to be kidding with this post. if Houston is an option of last resort, why are thousands of New Orleans people still living in Houston? If Atlanta is the place to be you would think they would have found their way to Atlanta by now. Instead thousands of former New Orleans residents have decided to make Houston their home.

it's difficult to have this discussion with you because in order to make your point you have to tear down another city. i believe Atlanta as well as all the other southern cities are great cities and have much to offer. Thats why i don't think any single city in the south deserves the "capital" title.

it's frustrating to read your posts when you litter it with insults to other cities.
You don't think Atlanta has their share of NOLA refugees? HA...think again.
 
Old 09-23-2008, 10:38 AM
 
11,608 posts, read 31,794,417 times
Reputation: 8203
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
In around the 1800s Atlanta was the Southern end all be all, but there are cities that developed in the region (or with a similar culture) that have assumed some of that power/culture.

So I guess, for historic reasons, I could choose Atlanta.
I'm sorry, but that is grossly inaccurate. Atlanta was most certainly not the "end all be all" Southern city in the 1800s. Atlanta didn't even exist until 1837, and it didn't get its name "Atlanta" until 1847.

Just prior to the Civil War in 1860, Atlanta had fewer than 10,000 people. Atlanta wasn't even the dominant city in Georgia much less the South. (Augusta and Savannah were both larger than Atlanta.)

For most of the 1800s the dominant city in the South was, by far, New Orleans. By 1900 New Orleans had over 3 times the population of Atlanta. Memphis was also larger than Atlanta. Even this forum's oft-maligned Omaha and Scranton were larger than Atlanta in 1900. Yes, I know Omaha and Scranton are not in the South, but I bring it up only to show Atlanta's relative insignificance at that time.

For the heck of it, here are the population statistics for select Southern cities from the 1900 Census (and remember, this was before the days of sprawling suburbs):

Atlanta 89,872
Baltimore 508,957 (I know it's not really Southern but it sort of is)
Dallas 42,038
Houston 44,643
Louisville 204,731
Memphis 102,320
New Orleans 287,103
Richmond 85,050

By 1950 Atlanta had grown considerably, but so had other Southern cities. Atlanta was still smaller than New Orleans and Memphis, and Birmingham had grown to be about the same size as Atlanta.

So it's really only been in the last 40-50 years that Atlanta has become the prominent city it is today.

Last edited by JMT; 09-23-2008 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top