U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:09 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,325,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
I am from miami and we were always taught that Miami was the south even in the books i mean its a known fact
thank you. see, everybody? out of the mouth of a miamian, you're hearing that SoFL is the south.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post

Took a road trip from Richmond VA to Dallas Tx this past summer. Went through a lot of southern states. Based on my limited travels, it seemed like East Texas (discounting Houston) was the most 'southern' as i guess most ppl would define by accent & mannerisms. But just my opinion.
Well, mannerisms will be different as much as you can expect them to be from big city to small town. But the accent heard in East Texas is the same accent heard in Dallas and Houston (especially since Houston technically is ET).

in my opinion, texans (east of I-35) sound just like georgians, but many people tend to disagree, so whatever

Old 12-17-2008, 01:22 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,527,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, mannerisms will be different as much as you can expect them to be from big city to small town. But the accent heard in East Texas is the same accent heard in Dallas and Houston (especially since Houston technically is ET).

in my opinion, texans (east of I-35) sound just like georgians, but many people tend to disagree, so whatever
Well I guess comparing Richmond to Marshall was a bit of a stretch, but I guess ppl get the idea. I loved it there but next time I'd rather fly (19 hrs on the road)

Old 12-17-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
Well I guess comparing Richmond to Marshall was a bit of a stretch, but I guess ppl get the idea. I loved it there but next time I'd rather fly (19 hrs on the road)
that actually kinda nice since I haven't taken a road trip of that length since I was a child.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,964,979 times
Quote:

While I do agree with you about east texas, I personally think anywhere west or south of SA is not that southern characteristically. In my opinion its a good thing because you can see different cultures while staying in the same state. Typically south texas is made up of predominatly hispanic cities and barrios. They have huge amounts of mexican-american culture which in my opinion is pretty cool. You get to learn from them but at the same time you are within a 3hrs drive to east texas and the traditional south.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:31 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,850,743 times
Quote:
looking on a map, virginia doesn't even look like it's in the south. regardless, i disagree completely, so...
Historically, as you probably know, the South extended as far up as Maryland. Geographically, Virginia is more mid-Atlantic than Southern. But culturally, there should be no question that Virginia is Southern (possibly excepting NoVA). Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy for goodness sake.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:07 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,601,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy for goodness sake.
Only because it is the next major city south of Washington.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Quote:
North Carolina and Tennessee? No offense, but saying that Virginia is like states in the "upper" South isn't really helping your argument.

now tell me that richmond or newport news are very similar to jackson, ms or baton rouge or tuscaloosa, al...and then i'll analyze my opinion.

people try and tell me that texas isn't the south and then I explain to them how there is practically no difference between a city like longview, tx and jackson or tuscaloosa.
The point is that North Carolina and Tennessee are Southern and the majority of VA is Southern. Geographically has little to do with a state being Southern. Cultural far determines whether a state is Southern or not and Virginia has very much in common with the Carolinas and the Mid-South. No, Richmond isn't as "southern" as Jackson. But Danville is. Hell, Houston isn't as Southern as Jackson or Birmingham. Dallas isn't as Southern as Atlanta or Savannah. But they are Southern.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:36 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,232,775 times
If it were more business oriented and more "southernly", it would be Miami due to its size.
I voted for Atlanta because it is both of those things.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,450,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
If it were more business oriented and more "southernly", it would be Miami due to its size.
I voted for Atlanta because it is both of those things.
Miami due to its size? Really? I'm assuming you're including Texas as well, so Houston and DFW are both larger than Miami's metro. But again, Miami has no influence over here and even more true for Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City