U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:07 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,921,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
i don't get the "international" vibe when I'm in Atlanta though. Haven't really felt it at all. Atlanta feels "Southern" to me.
Depends on where you go in Atlanta. For starters, ride down Buford Highway next time you're there.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:26 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,882,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That is what I meant. Houston just happens to have a upper hand when it comes to feeling like an international city with its diversity and world renowed facilities like NASA and TMC, as well as the museum and theatre district. I'll admit though that Atlanta might be known more than Houston because of all the publicity it gets.
I would like to put statements like above to rest. NASA and TMC are great and internationally known, but so are several facilities in Atlanta. As far as international population, Atlanta is in the top 10 U.S. cities in numbers of almost every nationality - according to the census bureau...as I'm sure Houson is as well.

A sampling of world renowned facilities in Atlanta:

Hartsfiled-Jackson International Airport - world's busiest airport

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - the world's most recognized health operative.

Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Change - a network of national and international programs and organizations providing education on methods of nonviolence and human relations.

The Carter Center - working to advance human rights and alleviate human suffering, it has helped to improve the quality of life for people in more than 70 countries; work of the center earned a Nobel Peace Prize for Jimmy Carter.

The Arthritis Foundation - a system of research, programs and advocacy combating all types of arthritis.

Georgia Institute of Technology - one of the nation's top engineering schools; graduates more engineers than any school in the U.S.

The Georgia World Congress Center - 4th largest convention center in the U.S.; hosts national and international conventions, trade shows, and athletic events.

The American Cancer Society - nationwide voluntary organization with 3,400 offices across the country.

The Shepherd Center - largest catastrophic care hospital in the U.S. treating patients with spinal cord injury and disease, brain injury, and degenerative, neuromuscular and urological disorders.

The Center for Puppetry Arts - world renowned and the nation's largest organization dedicated to puppetry; new museum wing houses retired puppets from Jim Henson's Muppets, Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock among others.

Habitat for Humanity - devoted to building homes using volunteer labor, the organization has built over 300,000 homes around the world.

United Nations North American Training Facility - training facility that focuses on hemispheric issues for the United Nations.

CARE - world's largest international relief and humanitarian organization.

Emory University - one of the nation's top 20 universities.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:33 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,933,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I would like to put statements like above to rest. NASA and TMC are great and internationally known, but so are several facilities in Atlanta. As far as international population, Atlanta is in the top 10 U.S. cities in numbers of almost every nationality - according to the census bureau...as I'm sure Houson is as well.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - the world's most recognized health operative.

Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Change - a network of national and international programs and organizations providing education on methods of nonviolence and human relations.

The Carter Center - working to advance human rights and alleviate human suffering, it has helped to improve the quality of life for people in more than 70 countries; work of the center earned a Nobel Peace Prize for Jimmy Carter.

The Arthritis Foundation - a system of research, programs and advocacy combating all types of arthritis.

Georgia Institute of Technology - one of the nation's top engineering schools; graduates more engineers than any school in the U.S.

The Georgia World Congress Center - 4th largest convention center in the U.S.; hosts national and international conventions, trade shows, and athletic events.

The American Cancer Society - nationwide voluntary organization with 3,400 offices across the country.

The Shepherd Center - largest catastrophic care hospital in the U.S. treating patients with spinal cord injury and disease, brain injury, and degenerative, neuromuscular and urological disorders.

The Center for Puppetry Arts - world renowned and the nation's largest organization dedicated to puppetry; new museum wing houses retired puppets from Jim Henson's Muppets, Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock among others.

Habitat for Humanity - devoted to building homes using volunteer labor, the organization has built over 300,000 homes around the world.

United Nations North American Training Facility - training facility that focuses on hemispheric issues for the United Nations.

I never said Atlanta didn't have any renowed facilaties, but Houston has the museum and theatre district. These two districts are visited by people from all the world. Including The Medical District and NASA. Diversity alone places Houston on a higher leven than Atlanta when it comes to being an international city. Bush International airport also covers more international cities than Atlanta, but Atlanta has more international passengers. The problem with Atlanta is that it is marketed more as a city a place for "African Americans" to be successful. Whenever Atlanta gets any publicity it deals with BET or some famous rapper. You never hear people speak about all the races in Atlanta (Atlanta is a diverse city with a growing korean population). However, people wouldn't know these things if they didn't research more into Atlanta.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:44 PM

263 posts, read 951,454 times
Quote:
As far as international population, Atlanta is in the top 10 U.S. cities in numbers of almost every nationality - according to the census bureau...as I'm sure Houson is as well.
Where did you read that? Do you mean temporary residents, like, people visitng? Or are you talking about permanent residents of foreign nationalities?
http://censtats.census.gov/data/GA/1601304000.pdf

96% is white/black. 93% is native citizen.

Houston:
http://censtats.census.gov/data/TX/1604835000.pdf

74.6% white/black 73.6% native citizen

I havne't checked, but I can think of at least 8 more cities that probably have more non-native people than Atlanta. Seattle, Los Angeles, NYC, Boston, Miami, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Diego, Chicago, all probably have higher percentages pushing Atlanta out of the top ten.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,921,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The problem with Atlanta is that it is marketed more as a city a place for "African Americans" to be successful.
Firstly, how is this a "problem"? Secondly, Atlanta's status has evolved way beyond being just a Black mecca. The Olympics, in part, changed that.

Quote:
Whenever Atlanta gets any publicity it deals with BET or some famous rapper.
If the only thing you attend to is BET (or MTV or VH1), then I can see how you'd say that. People who don't watch those channels at all know about Atlanta, and it has nothing to do with rappers.

This is getting funnier by the minute, LOL.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:08 PM

3,436 posts, read 8,529,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
I havne't checked, but I can think of at least 8 more cities that probably have more non-native people than Atlanta. Seattle, Los Angeles, NYC, Boston, Miami, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Diego, Chicago, all probably have higher percentages pushing Atlanta out of the top ten.
Maybe Atlanta is #10 after those 9. Probably not though, I think Houston and Dallas might have more, and Honolulu for sure, and probably Philly, Las Vegas, and maybe even New Orleans and Denver. I guess that makes Atlanta very American.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:10 PM

3,436 posts, read 8,529,554 times
Quote:

And don't forget CNN.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,933,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Firstly, how is this a "problem"? Secondly, Atlanta's status has evolved way beyond being just a Black mecca. The Olympics, in part, changed that.

If the only thing you attend to is BET (or MTV or VH1), then I can see how you'd say that. People who don't watch those channels at all know about Atlanta, and it has nothing to do with rappers.

This is getting funnier by the minute, LOL.
This is what you think. You even have people on the Atlanta forum praising how Atlanta is a city for blacks. You can laugh about it all you want, but those who don't live in Atlanta think the same thing. Outside of Atlanta, it is marketed as a city for blacks and dosen't reach more out to to other races.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,513,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Depends on where you go in Atlanta. For starters, ride down Buford Highway next time you're there.
I did.

Buford Highway is Atlanta's "International Parkway", or where most of Atlanta's international retail/restaurants are. I still don't get that "international vibe" that I get in Houston. Dallas (which has the same percentage of minorities in its metro as Atlanta), feels "Texan" to me.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:39 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,513,730 times
Quote:
I would like to put statements like above to rest. NASA and TMC are great and internationally known, but so are several facilities in Atlanta. As far as international population, Atlanta is in the top 10 U.S. cities in numbers of almost every nationality - according to the census bureau...as I'm sure Houston is as well.
Atlanta's metro area is still 54% White/Caucasian, while Houston's is at 43% already.

Quote:
Hartsfiled-Jackson International Airport
Quote:
- world's busiest airport
One reason why ATL is so high is because Delta routes so many flights through the airport. If you want to fly from LAX to DFW, you have to connect in Atlanta (my uncle just did this and was complaining about it). I read somewhere that only 40% of Atlanta's airport traffic have Atlanta as its O/D. LAX has the highest O/D in the nation.

Quote:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Quote:
- the world's most recognized health operative.
Houston has the Texas Medical Center.

Quote:
Rice Univeristy, one of the leading univeristies out there for things like nanotechnology right now.

Quote:
The Georgia World Congress Center
Quote:
- 4th largest convention center in the U.S.; hosts national and international conventions, trade shows, and athletic events.
The GWCC is not much bigger than Houston's own convention center. Only a 200K difference in meeting/convention space.

Quote:
The American Cancer Society
Quote:
- nationwide voluntary organization with 3,400 offices across the country.
May I direct you to: Cancer Treatments & Research - M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

Quote:
The Shepherd Center
Quote:
- largest catastrophic care hospital in the U.S. treating patients with spinal cord injury and disease, brain injury, and degenerative, neuromuscular and urological disorders.
It is actually one of the largest and not THE largest.

Quote:
Habitat for Humanity
Quote:
- devoted to building homes using volunteer labor, the organization has built over 300,000 homes around the world.
This isn't in Atlanta, but instead, Americus, Georgia. Almost three hours to the South.

Quote:
United Nations North American Training Facility
Quote:
- training facility that focuses on hemispheric issues for the United Nations.
Johnson Space Center in Houston controls trains America's (and often International) astronauts.

Quote:
CARE
Quote:
- world's largest international relief and humanitarian organization.
I'm pretty sure CARE is the largest, but from what I'm reading, it is only one of the largest.

It's good learning about other cities. Some of these things, I didn't know were in Atlanta. Atlanta has a lot of human care organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City