U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2008, 01:45 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
263 posts, read 947,873 times
Reputation: 120

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You are wrong...I'm not going to take the time to prove because, again, I don't care what you think. But you are WAY wrong.

Okay. What I posted was from the US census, the same people you said you got your stats from. So it's not me that is wrong, it's the US census. I only cited some factoids. I really don't care about the outcome of houston vs atlanta anyways....


cheers!!

 
Old 12-20-2008, 01:55 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,804,347 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
Okay. What I posted was from the US census, the same people you said you got your stats from. So it's not me that is wrong, it's the US census. I only cited some factoids. I really don't care about the outcome of houston vs atlanta anyways....


cheers!!
I don't care either...that's why I'm not going to search for the information. I wouldn't post it as fact if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.
 
Old 12-20-2008, 02:44 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Okay, let's get a few facts straight. Our O&D #'s for Hartsfield-Jackson are more like 36%, but 36% of 89 million passengers are AMAZING numbers for the 9th largest metro. These numbers have us in the same league as much, much larger cities. Again, this explains the need for over 90,000 hotel rooms here. And I have no idea why you think IAH has flights to more cities that ATL. Simply not true.
That's 32 million. Not bad, but not too much different than other metro areas of similar size.

Quote:
Habitat for Humanity keeps a small office in Americus. The Admin HQ's IS in downtown Atlanta. The Atlanta office has all of the IT, HR, Legal, etc, etc. This is just like the situation where you refused to believe that Wendy's/Arby's are not HQ'd here. You simply need to do a little more research, because there is no reason for any of us to just make things up. I suspect you need to rely less on wiki for your "proof" that you so seem to need when anyone from Atlanta makes even the smallest claim. Why would we claim that Habitat is HQ'd here if they are indeed not? Same with Wendy's /Arby's - why purpose would that serve? It is too easy to refute claims with facts - I do it all the time.
I never said that Wendy's/Arby's was not HQ in Atlanta. I said that the Wendy's division was still based in Ohio, but the parent company is (of course) based in Atlanta. Get it right. Also, I'm not using wiki as my proof. I'm using Habitat's website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Man, you are a lost cause. YOU POSTED IT, NOT ME!!!

Habitat for Humanity's ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS is located in Atlanta. Is that clear? Do you understand? Do you get it?

Yes, you post Houston's supposed equivalent to everything anyone posts about another city. THAT is immaturity. Please try to grow up. I doesn't make me mad...it makes me feel sorry for you.
Prove me wrong then: Habitat for Humanity Fact Sheet -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l. I never said that the Administrative HQ was not in Atlanta, but its International Operations HQ is in Americus, therefore, that's where it's main HQ is (in fact, click on contact us, and see what address it gives you).

It's amazing at how mad you're getting. All I did was post Houston's equivalent. It bothers you that much? In fact, at the end of my post, I stated that I didn't know some of those things were in Atlanta and was happy to learn more about the city. Not surprising that you cut that part out.
 
Old 12-20-2008, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Reputation: 7238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
That's 32 million. Not bad, but not too much different than other metro areas of similar size.

I never said that Wendy's/Arby's was not HQ in Atlanta. I said that the Wendy's division was still based in Ohio, but the parent company is (of course) based in Atlanta. Get it right. Also, I'm not using wiki as my proof. I'm using Habitat's website.



Prove me wrong then: Habitat for Humanity Fact Sheet -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l. I never said that the Administrative HQ was not in Atlanta, but its International Operations HQ is in Americus, therefore, that's where it's main HQ is (in fact, click on contact us, and see what address it gives you).

It's amazing at how mad you're getting. All I did was post Houston's equivalent. It bothers you that much? In fact, at the end of my post, I stated that I didn't know some of those things were in Atlanta and was happy to learn more about the city. Not surprising that you cut that part out.
He only reads what he wants to read.
 
Old 12-20-2008, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Reputation: 7238
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Okay, let's get a few facts straight. Our O&D #'s for Hartsfield-Jackson are more like 36%, but 36% of 89 million passengers are AMAZING numbers for the 9th largest metro. These numbers have us in the same league as much, much larger cities. Again, this explains the need for over 90,000 hotel rooms here. And I have no idea why you think IAH has flights to more cities that ATL. Simply not true.
The ATL area only has one airport and most of the flights are domestic. Futhermore, Houston has more international flights than ATL (not passengers, but covers more international cities). Also, lots of people flying Delta do go through ATL. IAH is ranked as one of the fastest growing airports in the country and considered one of the best. I'll admit though that ATL still has more flights than Houston's two airports combined.
 
Old 12-20-2008, 04:13 PM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,220,884 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
That maybe be true but as I have stated in a previous post the original blacks of Miami were mostly Bahamians and that is quite evident in the community of the black Grove.
I do agree that black Americans in Miami do have southern traditions yet I view it seperately from white southern culture.
As for the Northern transplant comment well Miami was founded by Northerners Julia Tuttle (Cleveland) & Henry Flagler who was one of the founders of Standard Oil and hails from Hyde Park, New York. You can't get anymore Yankee than that and culturally Miami never really was southern to begin with.
It was founded 31 years after the civil war, has no ties to the Confederacy since it was a uninhabited swamp at the time.
If anything southern culture was imported to Miami. Sorry but when one thinks of Miami it's "southerness" is not what people think of first.
Houston was founded by a couple of brothers from Brooklyn, and New Orleans has lots of Haitian ties in its past. Both cities are still Southern. It's not unusual, considering their geography, that some Gulf Coast states have/had ties to the Caribbean. This is true even of Houston and Galveston. Hello, slave trade ring a bell? Just because there are a lot of Northern transplants today doesn't change a city's history, culture, or geographic location.
 
Old 12-20-2008, 04:40 PM
 
8,287 posts, read 11,474,879 times
Reputation: 4938
JohnATL says:
You are attempting to paint Miami as something other than what it was/is. Jim Crow and segregation laws were practiced freely in ALL parts of Florida, including Miami. Miami is part of the South, as much as I know that pains most residents of Miami/Dade. Up until the Mariel boatlift, Miami was just as Southern as any other large metro in this part of the country, and there are still many remnants of it.

John no I'm not trying to paint Miami as something that it wasn't. I'm quite aware of Jim Crow & segregation laws that were practiced at the time even though it was before my time. As for when Miami started changing it was probably in the early 60s when my parents came with the first Cuban refugee wave. As for what Miami is today 59% of the population is foreign born which makes it one of few large cities in the nation that isn't dominated by American born citizens. Anyways I'll let you Houstonians & Atlantans get back to your slugfest.
 
Old 12-21-2008, 12:05 AM
 
11,603 posts, read 31,771,782 times
Reputation: 8203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The ATL area only has one airport and most of the flights are domestic. Futhermore, Houston has more international flights than ATL (not passengers, but covers more international cities). Also, lots of people flying Delta do go through ATL. IAH is ranked as one of the fastest growing airports in the country and considered one of the best. I'll admit though that ATL still has more flights than Houston's two airports combined.
African cities served from Atlanta: 8
African cities served from Houston: 0

Asian (not Middle Eastern) cities served from Atlanta: 4
Asian (not Middle Eastern) cities served from Houston: 1

Australian cities served from Atlanta: 1
Australian cities served from Houston: 0

Caribbean cities served from Atlanta: 21
Caribbean cities served from Houston: 6

Central American cities served from Atlanta: 10
Central American cities served from Houston: 9

European cities served from Atlanta: 25
European cities served from Houston: 5

Mexican cities served from Atlanta: 8
Mexican cities served from Houston: 30

Middle Eastern cities served from Atlanta: 3
Middle Eastern cities served from Houston: 1

South American cities served from Atlanta: 13
South American cities served from Houston: 8

Both airports have a large percentage of transit passengers, with Atlanta being Delta's primary hub and Houston IAH being Continental's primary hub.

Atlanta's airport is also growing faster than IAH, according to the people who keep these kinds of statistics (Airports Council International). Atlanta's airport traffic grew by 5.3 percent in 2007, IAH grew by 1.1 percent. Houston Hobby grew by 3 percent. In 2007 Atlanta's airport had over 89 million passengers while Houston's 2 airports had a combined 52 million passengers.
 
Old 12-21-2008, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,211 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Reputation: 8963
^^Yeah Delta is responsible on why Atlanta has so many direct flights. I think if there was no wright amendment, Dallas would really compete with Atlanta as far as passengers go. But Atlanta is centered perfectly.
 
Old 12-21-2008, 06:14 AM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times
Reputation: 3545
^^The difference is, Continental doesn't use it's Houston hub for everything like Delta does for Atlanta. IAH splits a lot of flights with Newark. And Spade, on the Wright Amendment, what does that have to do with DFW? I was pretty sure it only affected Southwest and Love Field.

But hey, I'd much rather have Continental as my home airline than Delta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Both airports have a large percentage of transit passengers, with Atlanta being Delta's primary hub and Houston IAH being Continental's primary hub.

Atlanta's airport is also growing faster than IAH, according to the people who keep these kinds of statistics (Airports Council International). Atlanta's airport traffic grew by 5.3 percent in 2007, IAH grew by 1.1 percent. Houston Hobby grew by 3 percent. In 2007 Atlanta's airport had over 89 million passengers while Houston's 2 airports had a combined 52 million passengers.
Yet, both cities have similar O/D traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top