U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 PM

13,318 posts, read 13,066,037 times
Lets just say Atlanta is the capital of the south and, Houston and Miami are most diverse in the south even, more so than Atlanta. Is everyone ok with that?

Old 12-29-2008, 03:33 AM

8,968 posts, read 8,387,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
At street level without knowing the census data, I doubt anyone could identify differences in diversity ratios between Dallas, Atlanta and Houston.
Oh, I'm sure they can see a small difference when around the three different metro areas. Houston seems more "raw" than the other two with its diversity. Dallas and Atlanta are also more segregated.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:38 AM

12,804 posts, read 19,016,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Oh, I'm sure they can see a small difference when around the three different metro areas. Houston seems more "raw" than the other two with its diversity. Dallas and Atlanta are also more segregated.
Yes, if you're going on a 'feel', you do sense a bit of difference between the three. Can't speak to the 'segregation' factor of all three cities, but Atlanta's suburbs are much less segregated that they were twenty years ago.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:45 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,496,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
No, Dallas and Atlanta have zoning regulations. Houston developers are allowed to build a greater number of units (apts, condos) on smaller parcels of land all over the city without consideration of the surrounding infrastructure. So what may seem like more segregated cities to you are actually the result of zoning.

Last edited by First24; 12-29-2008 at 07:54 AM..

Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 AM

3,008 posts, read 5,600,844 times
Let end this by saying Atlanta is the capital of the SE region, the Piedmont region excluding, Texas, Arkansas, Florida and Louisiana.

Miami,
Tampa
Orlando
Jacksonville
Little Rock
New Orleans
Shreveport
Baton Rouge
Houston
Dallas
San Antonio
Fort Worth
Austin
El Paso
Corpus Christi
RGV-Brownsville/ Padre Island
Lubbock/Amarillo
OKC
Tulsa

Atlanta has no influence on these cities (ex Jacksonville maybe). If Atlanta never existed these cities would be thriving metros

Old 12-29-2008, 08:37 AM

8,968 posts, read 8,387,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, if you're going on a 'feel', you do sense a bit of difference between the three. Can't speak to the 'segregation' factor of all three cities, but Atlanta's suburbs are much less segregated that they were twenty years ago.
Yeah, Atlanta's suburbs have definitely changed, but it still feels segregated.

Quote:
No, Dallas and Atlanta have zoning regulations. Houston developers are allowed to build a greater number of units (apts, condos) on smaller parcels of land all over the city without consideration of the surrounding infrastructure. So what may seem like more segregated cities to you are actually the result of zoning.
What does zoning have to do with it? People still live wherever they want, and therefore, Houston feels less segregated than both Dallas and Atlanta.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:09 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,421,583 times
Quote:
that makes no sense what so ever. What the hell does zoning have to do with a city being intergrated???

Old 12-29-2008, 11:22 AM

7,732 posts, read 7,164,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually you can notice a difference. In Houston I could walk around the corner and run in asians,indians,africans,whites,etc. I live in a predominatly black area of Houston, but the city is very intergrated and it is not surprising to see all types of ethnic groups living and working in one area. Diversity in Houston dosen't just happen in certian areas, you find it all around the city without even having to look for it.

I can say the same exact thing, with the exception that my area is not predominatly black - it's more of a mix of everything. And I live in DeKalb, which is hardly suburban in nature these days. This is considered an urban core County of Metro Atlanta (approx. 65% of DeKalb is within the I-285 loop). In most other metros, DeKalb would be considered "inner-city" by most measures.

As far as Miami-Dade being less diverse than DeKalb, I believe it and with a visit it becomes pretty obvious. Miami-Dade has nowhere NEAR the Asian/Indian influence we have. Not even close.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:26 AM

3,008 posts, read 5,600,844 times
Atlanta is acting like the newly rich. First time it has something it doesn't know how to act.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 AM

7,732 posts, read 7,164,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Let end this by saying Atlanta is the capital of the SE region, the Piedmont region excluding, Texas, Arkansas, Florida and Louisiana.

Miami,
Tampa
Orlando
Jacksonville
Little Rock
New Orleans
Shreveport
Baton Rouge
Houston
Dallas
San Antonio
Fort Worth
Austin
El Paso
Corpus Christi
RGV-Brownsville/ Padre Island
Lubbock/Amarillo
OKC
Tulsa

Atlanta has no influence on these cities (ex Jacksonville maybe). If Atlanta never existed these cities would be thriving metros
Yet again, you have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about. Atlanta has influence over a lot of these cities, but I realize talking to you about anything serious is like talking to a toaster.

Let me put this on a base level you may understand. Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Birmingham, Nashville and New Orleans would fail without Atlanta due to the simple fact that the Federal Reserve Bank of ATLANTA supplies them with $$$$$. Does that help any?

And as far as Florida not coming under Atlantas influence, I suggest you rethink that one. Not one city in Florida can make any kind of move concerning anything related to the Federal Government without first running it by the regional honchos that are based in - Atlanta!

Care to hear more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City