U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:08 PM

13,336 posts, read 13,365,256 times

Advertisements

Im just saying why does no one ever give Florida credit for what came OUT of Florida. Why must people say everything is influenced by ATL?

Last edited by polo89; 12-29-2008 at 04:27 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 05:06 PM

8,968 posts, read 8,585,535 times
I'm with you. Atlanta does not influence Florida (except some parts closer to the Georgia border).

Old 12-29-2008, 05:11 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,762,537 times
^ I agree.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 PM

13,440 posts, read 14,799,446 times
The Atlanta influence basically stops once you hit Daytona Beach-Orlando. But there is a sphere of influence in the panhandle (especially Tallahassee) east to Jacksonville. But once you hit Orlando, Atlanta's influence fades significantly and by the time you hit West Palm Beach, it's not on the radar.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:54 PM

9,071 posts, read 21,557,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Atlanta influence basically stops once you hit Daytona Beach-Orlando. But there is a sphere of influence in the panhandle (especially Tallahassee) east to Jacksonville. But once you hit Orlando, Atlanta's influence fades significantly and by the time you hit West Palm Beach, it's not on the radar.
I agree completely. Even when the rest of Florida loved the Atlanta Braves back before there was ever a Florida MLB franchise (other than spring training), South Florida stood in open defiance and rooted for New York teams. I always thought that was a pretty interesting way of showing where Atlanta's influence stopped in the Sunshine State.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,859 times
Richmond. Atlanta is too full of Yankee transplants.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 AM

2,758 posts, read 3,411,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDReb View Post
Richmond. Atlanta is too full of Yankee transplants.
Richmond? You have give some reasons for that answer. I would think that VA have more Northerners than ATL (Atlanta's well balanced as far as transplants goes).

Old 12-30-2008, 08:19 AM

3,005 posts, read 5,681,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yet again, you have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about. Atlanta has influence over a lot of these cities, but I realize talking to you about anything serious is like talking to a toaster.

Let me put this on a base level you may understand. Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Birmingham, Nashville and New Orleans would fail without Atlanta due to the simple fact that the Federal Reserve Bank of ATLANTA supplies them with $$$$$. Does that help any?

And as far as Florida not coming under Atlantas influence, I suggest you rethink that one. Not one city in Florida can make any kind of move concerning anything related to the Federal Government without first running it by the regional honchos that are based in - Atlanta!

Care to hear more?
They would transfer the Federal reserve back to New Orleans, or give it to Charlotte since it is a banking center of down to Miami or to Nashville no biggie there. Atlanta thinks because it gets new skyscrapers and gets a reality show that it is the Paris, Rome, NYC, LA,Berlin and Tokyo all rolled into one of the south. Atlanta if I were you i would be worried about the Piedmont area and Charlotte and Nashvile gaining on you.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:51 AM

7,732 posts, read 7,321,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
They would transfer the Federal reserve back to New Orleans, or give it to Charlotte since it is a banking center of down to Miami or to Nashville no biggie there. Atlanta thinks because it gets new skyscrapers and gets a reality show that it is the Paris, Rome, NYC, LA,Berlin and Tokyo all rolled into one of the south. Atlanta if I were you i would be worried about the Piedmont area and Charlotte and Nashvile gaining on you.

What the hell are you babbling about? The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta has branch offices in Miami, Jacksonville, Birmingham, Nashville and New Orleans. "They" that you speak of would not transfer anything back to anywhere. The Bank is here and those other cities depend on it for monetary supervision and regulation, check processing and getting infusions of $$$$$. Get it?

A bunch of new skyscrapers and a reality show makes 5+ million people think they are now on the level of Paris, Rome, NYC, etc? LOL!!!!!!
That sounds more like something you would claim for San Antonio or Austin.

Get a clue.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:00 AM

7,732 posts, read 7,321,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I understand. But I was responding to somone that said ATL has a major influence over FLA which is not true. Florida is doing fine for itself, and ATL has absolutely nothing to do with that. You're right maybe the panhandle but the rest of the state including Dayotona Beach on down has not been influenced by ATL. ATL has set no trends down in Florida. Nothing down here remotely reminds me of ATL.
You just don't get it, and obviously you pick and choose which subject to respond to. Regardless of what you may think or your opinion that Atlanta has no influence over Florida, it does, and in a huge way.

If you would re-read what I posted, I said that on a Federal Government level, Atlanta OWNS Florida. How hard is that to understand? Every single Federal agency that touches your life in you live in Florida (with the exception of NASA) is HQ'd regionally in Atlanta. Atlanta is the de facto FEDERAL CITY for the Southeast, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. We're talking everything from the FDIC to the FAA, HUD, EPA, Justice Department, FBI, DEA, ICE, etc.

Remember the circus that was the Elian Gonzolez case? Where was the final stop prior to the Supreme Court once the case left Florida? Yea, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in Downtown Atlanta.

Does that make things a little more clear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City