Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston and New Orleans own ATL because you get your oil from us.
Following this logic, every time I drink orange juice, I am influenced by Florida. Whenever I pour maple syrup on my pancakes, I am influenced by Vermont. When shopping at Target, I am influenced by Minneapolis. I'm just sayin'...

Old 12-30-2008, 10:54 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Our public transit blows your little starter light rail line out of the water, and you know it. Get back to me when you have decent rail and respectable ridership for your sprawling mess of a metro.
Funny joke, funny joke. Your public transit does not blow Houston's out of the water. Now, your rail transit (for now) does, but that's it. METRO in Houston has a higher ridership than MARTA. Our suburbs want to become a part of METRO and get service, while Atlanta's have fought it for the longest time (though it seems that Gwinnett may be turning around). And our sprawling mess of a metro? Houston's is much denser than Atlanta: USA Urbanized Areas: 2000 Ranked by Population(465 Areas) .

Quote:
And yes, it IS possible to get around Atlanta on rail - if you are smart/fortunate enough to live inside the Perimeter.
And even then, you need to live near MARTA.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Yeah, yeah, the Fed in Atlanta controls Florida, but you think people in Florida really know that (the normal, everyday person)? Nope. No one in Florida talks about Atlanta (save for the Panhandle and Jacksonville). Hell, native Floridians and people that live in Florida have said that already. I'll take their word for it.

I already did and you're wrong.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You think that because the Fed is in Atlanta, that it influences all of Florida. One metro area of 5 million is not going to influence a entire state of 18 million. Deal with it. And again, by your logic, Richmond influences Baltimore. Los Angeles looks up to San Fran. Denver looks up to Kansas City.
I guess now you are going to try and convince me this never happened?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Funny joke, funny joke. Your public transit does not blow Houston's out of the water. Now, your rail transit (for now) does, but that's it. METRO in Houston has a higher ridership than MARTA. Our suburbs want to become a part of METRO and get service, while Atlanta's have fought it for the longest time (though it seems that Gwinnett may be turning around). And our sprawling mess of a metro? Houston's is much denser than Atlanta: USA Urbanized Areas: 2000 Ranked by Population(465 Areas) .

Okay, see, you're not being entirely truthful here. Many folks in Houston have fought extending rail and bus service into their areas, too, just like Atlanta. That's one reason our rail is so pathetic, due to their short-sightedness and NIMBYism.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:

If Atlanta's core county of Fulton was as massive in size as Harris County, it would have been expanded years ago. We could fit 4 or 5 of our counties within Harris. Also doesn't help when you have a hostile State Government that loathes its own capital city and contributes not one dime to MARTA. And good luck on getting your rail ridership up to 294,000 a day. Won't be happening in any of our lifetimes.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Okay, see, you're not being entirely truthful here. Many folks in Houston have fought extending rail and bus service into their areas, too, just like Atlanta. That's one reason our rail is so pathetic, due to their short-sightedness and NIMBYism.
I am being truthful. The only areas that didn't want rail was Afton Oaks (and they will surely miss out). Sugar Land wants rail (they just had a sucky representative in Delay, who with Culberson, blocked METRO's efforts), NW wants rail, Pearland wants it, etc.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Wrong again.

Total daily bus ridership:
Houston - 289,000
Atlanta - 234,000

Total daily rail ridership:
Houston - 40,200 -down 2.38% year to date
Atlanta - 294,000 - up 10.38% year to date

Total daily ridership all modes:
Houston - 329,200
Atlanta - 528,400

Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 AM

^^Link? I was looking at the Wiki pages for both. Looked at the APTA. Wiki wrong again. Though, Houston is basically getting by wit a bus system, while Atlanta has a mature heavy rail system AND bus system.

Quote:
I guess now you are going to try and convince me this never happened?
Uh yeah. You quoted me quoting you. I don't see what you did there. There wasn't a link and proof in your post.

Quote:
If Atlanta's core county of Fulton was as massive in size as Harris County, it would have been expanded years ago. We could fit 4 or 5 of our counties within Harris. Also doesn't help when you have a hostile State Government that loathes its own capital city and contributes not one dime to MARTA. And good luck on getting your rail ridership up to 294,000 a day. Won't be happening in any of our lifetimes.
Nope, but we will get to 100K+ with light rail alone. Heavy rail has higher capacities than light rail. Oh, and not all of Harris County is apart of METRO.

And on the size of Harris County, nice excuse. Still doesn't change the fact that METRO has more ridership. Fulton also isn't the only county, either. Plus, much of Harris County is rural.

Last edited by Trae713; 12-30-2008 at 11:26 AM..

Old 12-30-2008, 11:20 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Following this logic, every time I drink orange juice, I am influenced by Florida. Whenever I pour maple syrup on my pancakes, I am influenced by Vermont. When shopping at Target, I am influenced by Minneapolis. I'm just sayin'...
I was being sarcastic, I think Johnatl misunderstands what the word "influence" means.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:22 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Wrong again.

Total daily bus ridership:
Houston - 289,000
Atlanta - 234,000

Total daily rail ridership:
Houston - 40,200 -down 2.38% year to date
Atlanta - 294,000 - up 10.38% year to date

Total daily ridership all modes:
Houston - 329,200
Atlanta - 528,400
Houston bus ridership was in the 300s last time I checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City