Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,806,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web B. Rowser View Post
Miami cant compare to Atlanta. Atlanta has a lot of educated folks, you all have upper class, middle class, lower class... you all have blacks, whites, small hispanic population, asian, indian, etc...

Miami is either super rich, or 3rd world country-ish. Nobody speaks english and people are rude as hell man!
Thats strange my aunt lives in an upper mddle class neighborhood and she is a haitian, she also lives next to pper middle class jamaicasn, bahamians, cubans, and italians

Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 PM

256 posts, read 747,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I've read several times on this board people saying Atlanta is the capital of the south. i highly disagree with this. I think the only cities that could call themselves the capital of their regions are New York City, Chicago and Los Angeles because they are so much bigger than the cities in their region. the south has many major cities and most of them are similar in size and importance.

do you consider Atlanta to be the capital of the south?
The only big city near Atlanta is Miami, and that really isn't considered the south. The only truly big cities in the south are Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston, and Dallas and Houston are halfway across the country from Atlanta. So I'd say Atlanta is at the very least the capital of the southeast.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:27 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,013,453 times
What about Charlotte and Nashville are close to Atlanta. San Antonio,El Paso, Ft Worth, Memphis and Austin are big cities. Like I said NOLA is exempt from this poll. I think Atlanta is smelling in on butt on this thread and it is time to close it

Old 12-31-2008, 09:44 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,867,375 times
The reason why Houston's transit numbers showed that big decline was because of Hurricane Ike. Galveston's had a big decline, too.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
What about Charlotte and Nashville are close to Atlanta. San Antonio,El Paso, Ft Worth, Memphis and Austin are big cities.
Compared to Atlanta and Miami, those are mid-sized cities.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:43 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I personally think that houston has alot of influence over NO. When I lived in Texas pre-katrina there were still millions of people moving to TX from NO. And they loved TX.
Maybe post-Katrina, but even so, just because people know about a city and move there doesn't mean one city influences the other in any real way. The kind of influence I'm talking about is the cultural impact one city makes on another, usually in its region. How has Houston impacted New Orleans culturally? Maybe there are examples, but I can't think of any, would-be rappers aside.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:27 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,291,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Noooo. Its still not clear. How in the woooorld does atlanta own florida. Ok you said the whole thing about the FBI, DEA, ICE. I dont get all that. Isnt the FBI offices in DC? And since when is ICE headquartered in ATL? The drug enforcement agency is also now headquarted in ATL? hO W DOES EVERYTHING THAT TOUCHES MY LIFE HEADQUARTERED IN ATL. Is that really true? I dont understand? We have huge wachovias and bank of america banks that are headquartered in charlotte. And I currently live in chalotte by the way. I sort of understand what you mean. You mean to say that all the southeast regional hubs are in ATL. Ok so I get that part, but you are GROSSSLY overexaggerating it. Like for instance what major companie down here did ATL bring down here that keep FLA'S economy on float. Like how does every aspect of life in FLA effected by ATL. Like for instance in South Florida they get there power from Florida Light and Power Is that headquartered in ATL? Electricity is very important for our daily lives. See what I mean. I understand ATL is a powerful southern city but you are severly grossly overexagerrating it. How ca what city of 400,000 effect a state of 18million. This state has been living off of tourism for many many years. Yes the southeast Hub of the federal reserve is in Atlanta but most of our money from the past century has been fueled by tourist and reetirees from up north for years. This isnt the 1950's. And if you want to go by that then I can say Houston is the capital of the south because when the hurricanes hit gas prices rose up everywhere. Including Atlanta. So therefore Houston influences aspects of your life also. Atlant has the larest and one of te most important airports in the world, but if there was another hurricane in Houston, tha would effect the prices of jet fuel needed and in some way effect the airports. Atlana IS important but dont grosly overexxargerate it PLEASE. Elian Gonzalez OK whatever. hOW DOES THAT AFFECT ME? One of the largest business in miami are the cruise ships and ports. Did ATL build that? If atlanta had a natural disaster and Downtown ATL were destroyed they would eventually move the banking hub to Charlotte. Charlotte is currently the 2nd most important city for banking in the USA. Also about miami, Miami has the second highest concetration of international banks in the nation. So thats more money from other countries. What does ATL have to do with that? Microsoft, Apple, both have there Latin American headquarters down in Miami. What does ATL have to do with that. We have alot of home grown technology companies down here like Citrix, Alienware(i know alienware wasnt a good example) and many others that thousand of people in this state work for. How does ATL influence that? So much cargo comes through the ports in FLA that affect the USA. Including ATL. So to say that ATL owns FLA is kinda weird. DHL US office is headquartered in Broward County. Also CSX Transportation company which is on of the largest railroad transportaton hubs in te south and, on the East coast is headquartered in Jacksonville. I'll agree with you on some of the banks because Suntrust is down here, and I belive it is headqurtered in ATL. But c'mon.
Okay, polo89. You need to re-read my post that you quoted. S L O W L Y.

I am talking about the Southern Regional offices of all of those agencies. And yes, they are all still HQ'd in DC. Never said otherwise. However, all of those Federal Agencies that affect Florida have thier SOUTHERN REGIONAL HQ's here. Has nothing to do with the ports, DHL in Broward, CSX in Jacksonville, your families next door upscale Haitians, etc. It is about the influence of the Federal Government - nothing more, nothing less. And all of those agencies that touch all of our lives happen to be based here - FOR OUR REGION.

And yes, SunTrust is HQ'd in Downtown Atlanta.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Or not.

MARTA has a mature heavy rail system. That adds to its ridership. METRO has just one light rail line. If METRO had not been blocked by stupid Texas representatives and gotten its heavy rail back in the early 80s, ridership would most likely be much higher. There have been as many Atlantans that have opposed mass transit like Houston. And no, METRO does not have "a little over half" of MARTA's ridership. The numbers are right there. It does disappoint me to see a decline, especially with the way gas prices were, but it'll turn around.

And I went straight to the APTA once I saw your numbers.
Okay, then. What figures did you find on the APTA site? How do they disagree with what I already posted? Unless you found some alternative universe APTA site, they don't. You also claimed in an earlier post that METRO's ridership was way above MARTA's. I proved you wrong, but still no retraction. I see a pattern here with your posts - throw out random claims with no facts, get challenged and proven wrong - and nothing from you except more random excuses and denial. Pretty sad.

Total daily ridership all modes:
Houston - 329,200
Atlanta - 528,400

Facts are facts.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:52 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,867,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Okay, then. What figures did you find on the APTA site? How do they disagree with what I already posted? Unless you found some alternative universe APTA site, they don't. You also claimed in an earlier post that METRO's ridership was way above MARTA's. I proved you wrong, but still no retraction. I see a pattern here with your posts - throw out random claims with no facts, get challenged and proven wrong - and nothing from you except more random excuses and denial. Pretty sad.

Total daily ridership all modes:
Houston - 329,200
Atlanta - 528,400

Facts are facts.
Half would be 264,000. I think Metro's numbers (though they declined because of Hurricane Ike in September), is more than just "a little over half". But yes, you are sad. You're so full of anger. Great way to bring in the New Year.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:03 PM

You couldn't be further from the truth. I am far from sad, but I do admit to having a problem when someone makes false claims, is proven wrong repeatedly and STILL refuses to admit that they were indeed wrong. I like to call it being a stickler for the truth, and being gracious enough to admit it when I am proven wrong. Sorry, but that's the way I was brought up. If in your opinion that's sad, then so be it.

And oh, Happy New Year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City