Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:01 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,081,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
What about Charlotte and Nashville are close to Atlanta. San Antonio,El Paso, Ft Worth, Memphis and Austin are big cities. Like I said NOLA is exempt from this poll. I think Atlanta is smelling in on butt on this thread and it is time to close it
There talking about the Big citys in the south Atlanta houston Miami and dallas are the biggest when you look at the metro area pops and things and there are way more developed than charlotte memphis etc.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,289,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I did read what you wrote and you DID say that Atlanta controls Florida (or something to that effect).
No, I said Atlanta OWNED Florida - but only in a Federal Government sense. I guess you still don't "get it."

Old 12-31-2008, 03:23 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No, I said Atlanta OWNED Florida - but only in a Federal Government sense. I guess you still don't "get it."
Owned, controlled, not much of a difference. I know now that you're the one that has no clue in the world. No one denied at all that Atlanta was the regional Fed city, but other than that, Atlanta (metro of five million) has no influence on Florida (a state of 18 million), aside from the Panhandle and Jacksonville. That's what I said, yet you came back with the same old "Fed" excuse over and over.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You mentioned that your Aunt lived next door to some Haitians, that is the only reason I mentioned it.

THANK YOU polo89 for reading and understanding my post. I appreciate the fact that at least one person responded that they get what I was trying to say!
Yeah definetly I should of took time to read properly wat you said. I now know what you mean. On a FEDERAL level ONLY. Yeah it makes sense. Because of its geograpgy to the southeast it would make perfect sense for it to be a regional hub. But the way you made it sound when you said ATL OWNS FLA is where I mistook your quote and that was my bad. So are we both in accordance that ATL has a significant influence on FLA in a FEDERAL level ONLY. Once again im not trying to knock ATL but I just want to know if we are in accordance with that. Because I think every state helps each other somehow on an economic scale. But your right you won this battle, checkmate.

Last edited by polo89; 12-31-2008 at 03:41 PM..

Old 12-31-2008, 03:32 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Nobody is denying the fact that Atlanta is very very important to the South, johnatl. They do have some advantages to the region. Your argument just continues to prove my point on how Atlanta is the center of the South, not the capital. To say that people in South Florida is influenced by Atlanta is a huge stretch. Atlanta is not on the radar to most South Floridans. If they look to any other big city, it's another city within it's own state, not Atlanta. This is no disrespect to Atlanta.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:37 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nobody is denying the fact that Atlanta is very very important to the South, johnatl. They do have some advantages to the region. Your argument just continues to prove my point on how Atlanta is the center of the South, not the capital. To say that people in South Florida is influenced by Atlanta is a huge stretch. Atlanta is not on the radar to most South Floridans. If they look to any other big city, it's another city within it's own state, not Atlanta. This is no disrespect to Atlanta.
And this is what I was saying, yet johnatl kept on pulling the "Fed" argument. No one denied the "Fed" part, but Atlanta does not influence the majority of Florida.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
To be honest, no city in florida really influences any city within the state. The majority of the people that live there despise Miami, than you got lots of people that hate Orlando. JAX is just usually never brought up lol.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:44 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Yeah most South Floridians do tend to look up to themselves rather then other citie in the South. But he meant on a federal level. If we were talking about everyday lifestyles and trends and circumstances then it wouldnt be true. But he meant federaly so he had a good point.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:48 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,081,686 times
Quote:
Well there are surely alot of people from south florida moving to atlanta And i was one of them

Old 12-31-2008, 03:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Well there are surely alot of people from south florida moving to atlanta And i was one of them
So Houston and Dallas has lots of influence in Cali because lots of people move here from there??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City