U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2008, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Sandy Springs, Georgia
256 posts, read 660,892 times
Reputation: 126

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Compared to Atlanta and Miami, those are mid-sized cities.
^What he said. Except Fort Worth is right next to Dallas so it's essentially the same city/urban center.

 
Old 12-31-2008, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,152,690 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Owned, controlled, not much of a difference. I know now that you're the one that has no clue in the world. No one denied at all that Atlanta was the regional Fed city, but other than that, Atlanta (metro of five million) has no influence on Florida (a state of 18 million), aside from the Panhandle and Jacksonville. That's what I said, yet you came back with the same old "Fed" excuse over and over.
Wrong. You have absolutely no clue - at all. And YOU never even acknowledged the fact that Atlanta was the regional Fed city - now with other people agreeing, you start to backpedal.

If you honestly believe that Atlanta has no influence over Florida, just keep thinking it. Business people know otherwise.

Just to blow your mind a little, how do you explain the fact that the number one airport flown to from EVERY single city in Florida with commercial service is Atlanta? And I'm not talking about connections at the Delta hub - I'm talking O & D TO Atlanta. How is that possible if Atlanta has zero influence on Florida? Hint - they are coming because this is the dominant city in the region for business. And yes, that includes all 18 million residents.

Source: RITA | BTS | Transtats
 
Old 12-31-2008, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
To be honest, no city in florida really influences any city within the state. The majority of the people that live there despise Miami, than you got lots of people that hate Orlando. JAX is just usually never brought up lol.
I don't know where you got this from? Maybe the North Floridians dislike Miami. But the majority of Florida does not despise Miami. I have family and friends all over the state since that's where my mom's family came from. Nobody shows any discontent towards Miami. In fact, many in Orlando and Tampa-St. Pete commute to Miami every weekend to visit family and friends. Many in Orlando has family all over Miami because many people left South Florida to move to Orlando because it's cleaner, safer, and more affordable.
 
Old 12-31-2008, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah most South Floridians do tend to look up to themselves rather then other citie in the South. But he meant on a federal level. If we were talking about everyday lifestyles and trends and circumstances then it wouldnt be true. But he meant federaly so he had a good point.
Yeah he has a great point in that regards federally. I would say business wise he is also correct which is why Atlanta has more fortune 500 companies as well. But when, tourism, banking, and everyday social lifestyles come into play. Atlanta's influences dies.
 
Old 12-31-2008, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,152,690 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nobody is denying the fact that Atlanta is very very important to the South, johnatl. They do have some advantages to the region. Your argument just continues to prove my point on how Atlanta is the center of the South, not the capital. To say that people in South Florida is influenced by Atlanta is a huge stretch. Atlanta is not on the radar to most South Floridans. If they look to any other big city, it's another city within it's own state, not Atlanta. This is no disrespect to Atlanta.
Well Spade, to be honest when the average "Joe on the street" in South Florida thinks of any city, it is usually New York, not some other Florida city.
 
Old 12-31-2008, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,152,690 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
And this is what I was saying, yet johnatl kept on pulling the "Fed" argument. No one denied the "Fed" part, but Atlanta does not influence the majority of Florida.
Not only did you not deny it, you never even acknowledged it. You just kept repeating what you wanted to without even checking out my posts.
 
Old 12-31-2008, 03:01 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Reputation: 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah he has a great point in that regards federally. I would say business wise he is also correct which is why Atlanta has more fortune 500 companies as well. But when, tourism, banking, and everyday social lifestyles come into play. Atlanta's influences dies.
Thats what I said. After I read his quote correcty.
 
Old 12-31-2008, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Well Spade, to be honest when the average "Joe on the street" in South Florida thinks of any city, it is usually New York, not some other Florida city.
While true. I was speaking of pure bred Floridians born and raised that has no connections to New York whatsoever. Orlando because of it's theme parks and it's cleanliness reputation is thought of more than Atlanta. Even Tampa-St. Pete. Put it this way. When South Floridians want to go and visit a theme park and they are tired of Disney World, they don't think of SFOG. They think Busch-Gardens in Tampa. They don't care about Six Flags.
 
Old 12-31-2008, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,152,690 times
Reputation: 2774
Unless they were huge coaster nuts, I would agree with you. Coaster fans on the other hand, do indeed think of Six Flags.
 
Old 12-31-2008, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Unless they were huge coaster nuts, I would agree with you. Coaster fans on the other hand, do indeed think of Six Flags.
They do. But they can think of just about any Six Flags park. Besides, it's not like Disney and Busch-Gardens lack in coasters themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top