Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:48 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,803,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Honestly I got to admit I was just trying to stir the pot up.:It works every time! Yet I did disagree with Htown's statement.But personally as I have always said Dallas would get that spot easily if not Atlanta.New Orleans would be second and Houston would be third.Take a Ft.Worth socialite and a Buckhead Betty,A larger black population(southern roots mainly) and Dallas and New Orleans just makes more logical since to me.
houston has always been blacker than dallas. i'm not sure what you're getting at. unless i'm misunderstanding what you're saying

either way, dallas is way too exclusively texan to be a contender for capital of the south. houston has always been more southern. more in line with atlanta

Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,438,209 times
chiatldal, get your panties out your *** I was just going along with afonega1; hence the smiley.

Everybody else, as far as "Capital of the South" being used as a nickname that's fine as nobody really cares. When people use the term "Capital of the South" as an actual title and then apply it to one city then it becomes unfair to the majority of the south. To people who say Texas is to far west, that's ridiculous because Texas cities have influence ending just short of Alabama. A city can't be the capital of what it doesn't influence so that rules out all 3. The argument that black people equal southern is just stupid. I guess there is no such thing as southern whites, because I saw a handful this weekend.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I just can't think of a city in Texas as being the symbolic capital of "the South" - sorry; Texas just isn't "southern" enough. That's pretty much all there is to it from my perspective.

Also, I believe we are talking about metro areas here, and not just what is contained within the rather arbitrary judicial limits of these various cities.

Dallas-Ft. Worth doesn't strike me as a "southern" metro area to any great extent. It has some southern elements, but it also has very prominent Mexican and cowboy influences. That alone would seem to disqualify it for the most part.

Houston also has a strong Mexican influence, though it does feel somewhat more "southern" than Dallas-Ft. Worth.
i'll put it like this, everything you'll find "southern" in atlanta, you'll find it in houston. i've always maintained that houston is just as southern. the difference is in houston's dramatic influx of mexican immigrants. but it's never been a mexican city

but texas not being "southern enough" is completely incorrect

Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 PM

687 posts, read 1,571,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I just can't think of a city in Texas as being the symbolic capital of "the South" - sorry; Texas just isn't "southern" enough. That's pretty much all there is to it from my perspective.

Also, I believe we are talking about metro areas here, and not just what is contained within the rather arbitrary judicial limits of these various cities.

Dallas-Ft. Worth doesn't strike me as a "southern" metro area to any great extent. It has some southern elements, but it also has very prominent Mexican and cowboy influences. That alone would seem to disqualify it for the most part.

Houston also has a strong Mexican influence, though it does feel somewhat more "southern" than Dallas-Ft. Worth.
As a Texan and a Dallasite, I agree 100%. While Texas has long historic ties to the south (just read any of TexasReb's informative posts) and was settled predominantly by people from the south, modern Texas with it's transplants from other parts of the country doesn't really fall into one region. Yes, there are certainly southern aspects to the state, especially the further east you go, but as the state continues to grow I believe it moves further and further away from any southern identity it once had. For sure you can still easily find southern influences in both Dallas and Houston without looking too far, but we probably are too far west, geographically, to be a "capital" of the south. Also, the fact that our state will probably be majority Hispanic within the next 10 to 20 years just doesn't jive with the deep south. Historically, Texas is certainly a southern state, but I feel that our ties to the south are dwindling as we grow.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 PM

687 posts, read 1,571,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
chiatldal, get your panties out your *** I was just going along with afonega1; hence the smiley.

Everybody else, as far as "Capital of the South" being used as a nickname that's fine as nobody really cares. When people use the term "Capital of the South" as an actual title and then apply it to one city then it becomes unfair to the majority of the south. To people who say Texas is to far west, that's ridiculous because Texas cities have influence ending just short of Alabama. A city can't be the capital of what it doesn't influence so that rules out all 3. The argument that black people equal southern is just stupid. I guess there is no such thing as southern whites, because I saw a handful this weekend.
As much as I'd like to believe we have influence all the way to Alabama, I'm curious where you're getting this from. I have family in Arkansas and Mississippi. While Texas clearly has a lot of influence in Arkansas, I see none whatsoever in Mississippi. As far as my Mississippi relatives are concerned, we might as well be Arizona.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

exactly. atlanta being the capital of the south completely overlooks the western south because atlanta isn't OUR capital

Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
As much as I'd like to believe we have influence all the way to Alabama, I'm curious where you're getting this from. I have family in Arkansas and Mississippi. While Texas clearly has a lot of influence in Arkansas, I see none whatsoever in Mississippi. As far as my Mississippi relatives are concerned, we might as well be Arizona.
Plenty of people in Mississippi have connections to Houston and Dallas. There is also a large outflow of people from Mississippi to Texas. Even culturally Mississippi, Western TN, North Louisiana and AR are more akin to East Texas than they are Alabama, Georgia, etc.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
it's mostly in western mississippi, in my experience.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
it's mostly in western mississippi, in my experience.
The line ends somewhere east of Jackson. In that section you divide it in half, give the north half to Dallas and the southern half to Houston. The Dallas section is then shared with Memphis, and the southern half New Orleans.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
As a Texan and a Dallasite, I agree 100%. While Texas has long historic ties to the south (just read any of TexasReb's informative posts) and was settled predominantly by people from the south, modern Texas with it's transplants from other parts of the country doesn't really fall into one region. Yes, there are certainly southern aspects to the state, especially the further east you go, but as the state continues to grow I believe it moves further and further away from any southern identity it once had. For sure you can still easily find southern influences in both Dallas and Houston without looking too far, but we probably are too far west, geographically, to be a "capital" of the south. Also, the fact that our state will probably be majority Hispanic within the next 10 to 20 years just doesn't jive with the deep south. Historically, Texas is certainly a southern state, but I feel that our ties to the south are dwindling as we grow.
it's the complete opposite, to me. texas is essentially southern with outside influences. east of i-35, i don't feel any dwindling ties to the rest of the south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City