Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
obviously for different reasons. culturally, scottsdale and dallas are nothing alike. dallas and memphis share MANY southern attributes. i'm assuming you don't spend much time south of i-30? oak cliff could fit anywhere in the south
I wasn't trying to make a serious comparison there. Scottsdale is twice as far from here as Memphis. However, I disagree that Phoenix and Dallas are nothing alike culturally. Yes, there are historical differences, but present day Dallas and Phoenix have quite a few cultural similarities.

I guess you're saying that because Oak Cliff has a large AA population it could be in the south? Yes, I guess I can't disagree with you there. However, that's only one part of our city. The percentage of Dallas's population that is AA is actually declining if I'm not mistaken (I very well could be, but that's what I seem to recall).

Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
the size of the receiving state has nothing to do with the outflow . the point is, more mississippians had texas on the brain than georgia
I will gladly concede that. Tie this in to the original theme of the thread. What in the world difference does the fact that Texas currently has a stronger economy and more employment opportunities than Georgia have to do with the state's regional identity?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:42 PM

Good lord, look how late it is. I've got to get to sleep. You make excellent arguments in support of your positions WestBankNOLA and AlGreen. I give you both a well-deserved reputation point. I always respect a well-reasoned argument, even when I don't agree.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
I wasn't trying to make a serious comparison there. Scottsdale is twice as far from here as Memphis. However, I disagree that Phoenix and Dallas are nothing alike culturally. Yes, there are historical differences, but present day Dallas and Phoenix have quite a few cultural similarities.
the only cultural similarities i see between dallas and phoenix is the sunbelt "culture". aside from that, they're completely different, in my opinion

Quote:
I guess you're saying that because Oak Cliff has a large AA population it could be in the south? Yes, I guess I can't disagree with you there. However, that's only one part of our city. The percentage of Dallas's population that is AA is actually declining if I'm not mistaken (I very well could be, but that's what I seem to recall).
well i'm not saying that AA = southern, but it's not really by coincidence that blacker/poorer neighborhoods generally retain more of the southern culture. north dallas feels less southern because of all the transplants. simple as that

and both dallas and houston are experiencing rapid increases in their mexican populations

Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Good lord, look how late it is. I've got to get to sleep. You make excellent arguments in support of your positions WestBankNOLA and AlGreen. I give you both a well-deserved reputation point. I always respect a well-reasoned argument, even when I don't agree.
Same here

Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
i agree

Old 09-28-2010, 01:54 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
As much as I'd like to believe we have influence all the way to Alabama, I'm curious where you're getting this from. I have family in Arkansas and Mississippi. While Texas clearly has a lot of influence in Arkansas, I see none whatsoever in Mississippi. As far as my Mississippi relatives are concerned, we might as well be Arizona.
I moved to Charlotte NC from Austin. No kidding, I agree with this statement SOOO much. People who CURRENTLY live in Texas, have NO ideal of how WESTERN Texas FEELS in comparison to people here in the Eastern South. People out here(for the most part) view TX, somewhat how they would view a New Mexico or Arizona. I'm not saying it's like TX and AZ, but it's geographical positioning makes it seem somewhat foreign to the rest of the South. I personally think Texas is part of the area known as the Western South(with the exception of the Trans-Pecos Region, which is entirely Southwestern). Texas is "in" the South, but VERY different than the rest of the South.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
You'd still have to split LA and MS with Houston.
You refuse to make life easy for me. LOL! . But, I'm not as familiar with that area as you are. So I'll be safe and give Houston the de facto Gulf Coast Capital city designation. Sound good?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:27 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
I just don't see how Houston or Dallas can be the capitals of the South. They really ARE too far West.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:46 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
If having the largest economy and being the most international was the number one criteria, why isn't Houston the capital of Texas? I'm stating this as a point that there is more to being a capital city than just the economic and social aspects. You can't ignore the political clout and central access to the population. This why I suggest Atlanta, it has more political clout, political connections, and political history with antebellum South, Civil Rights South, and the New South than any of the 4 cities being compared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City