Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
It was a trigger response not meant to be taken so literal.I forgot some people on here are very hyper sensitive.I was referring to the part where he said it yielded to Atlanta.Yes my big toe does make decisions for me occasionally.
Yeah, that was me that said Charlotte yields its influence to Atlanta. And as far as your big toe, that is quite a big toe you have.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 PM

468 posts, read 789,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
its telling by the location you gave. The East coast. Your point would be significant if the south was only on the east coast. you ask someone what is the major city when you are in the gulf coast and they will tell you Houston. Most people in the south don't know ATL anymore than Houston, first of all that is just a south east thing. Reading Anne Rice books, they talk about NEw Orleans as the main city and Houston as the Large city, not ATL (Read Merrick for example). I am sure if you reference a book by an author in Georgia or the Carolinas they may reference ATL as the big city, but you cannot claim that all of the south is like that.

Atlanta gets alot more media attention Than Houston thats why I said that...

Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
okay, so you're admitting that many people in the carolinas are ignorant about the reality of texas. but how is that relevant to the discussion?

and what i keep trying to get thru to you is that you lived in austin and now you live in north carolina (right?), so of course you'll see the extremes. but you wouldn't feel the same way if you were from houston (or even dallas) and move out there. so saying that texas as a whole is VERY different from the rest of the south is a huge exaggeration. the bulk of the population in texas (east of i-35) is found in the areas that are culturally very southern in every way.

texas also has mississippi and parts of western tennessee. and eastern oklahoma really isn't debatable as southern
West TN(maybe), West Miss is more influenced by New Orleans rather than anywhere in Texas.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
okay, so you're admitting that many people in the carolinas are ignorant about the reality of texas. but how is that relevant to the discussion?

and what i keep trying to get thru to you is that you lived in austin and now you live in north carolina (right?), so of course you'll see the extremes. but you wouldn't feel the same way if you were from houston (or even dallas) and move out there. so saying that texas as a whole is VERY different from the rest of the south is a huge exaggeration. the bulk of the population in texas (east of i-35) is found in the areas that are culturally very southern in every way.

texas also has mississippi and parts of western tennessee. and eastern oklahoma really isn't debatable as southern
Yes it would. As a matter of fact IT DID!! I remember when we moved from Austin to Charlotte, we drove up I-35 to Dallas, and then took I-20 east. I remember getting to Charlotte and thinkin, "Where were we?". All the trees felt vastly different than what I saw in Texas, it even felt different from what I saw in Dallas when driving through there. It's a bigger change in scenery than you think.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:58 PM

That's one thing me Spade and Jluke can agree upon. Once you get to the Eastern South(TN,NC, SC, ETC), it stats to feel vastly different than parts of Texas, including parts of Dallas, Houston and East Texas.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That's nice but I got family all along the east coast and it's completely different from Houston or Dallas. I've been to NC plenty of times. They are all southern, but they are in different regions of the south and culturally; they are a little different as well. You can't keep writing off the large Hispanic population in Texas cities though. It still deeply impacts the culture and feel of these areas.
i'm not writing off anything. i'm just tired of the reasoning that a large hispanic population reshapes everything. it doesn't. houston is essentially a southern city with mexican influences, the same way chicago is a midwestern city with mexican influences, just like new york is a northeastern city with many hispanics.

Quote:
Going from Central Texas to parts of LA were nothing, but once you get in TN,AL,GA,NC, and the others. It is quite different.
only in terrain, imo. the blacks and whites in eastern texas are one in the same with those in the southeast. there are minor differences, but not enough that it's going to create a "shock"

Old 09-29-2010, 02:01 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
From my experience of being in the VA area; I never heard anything about Atlanta. It was always either Charlotte or DC. I guess it just depends where you're at.

Thinking about it though; I wouldn't even call it a influence, but more of a connection (Speaking about Charlotte). I just don't see the Atlanta influence in VA whenever I'm there.
That would depend heavenly on what part ov VA you are in.Hampton Roads:Yes ;Atlanta all day.Rural western part of Virginia near Bristol(TN border)as well.

People may speak about going to Charlotte cause its close.But thge things people are interested in is definitely influenced by Atlanta

Look at this map I found in one of the other threads:

Last edited by afonega1; 09-29-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
i'm not writing off anything. i'm just tired of the reasoning that a large hispanic population reshapes everything. it doesn't. houston is essentially a southern city with mexican influences, the same way chicago is a midwestern city with mexican influences, just like new york is a northeastern city with many hispanics.

only in terrain, imo. the blacks and whites in eastern texas are one in the same with those in the southeast. there are minor differences, but not enough that it's going to create a "shock"
The blacks are slightly different also.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:03 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yes it would. As a matter of fact IT DID!! I remember when we moved from Austin to Charlotte, we drove up I-35 to Dallas, and then took I-20 east. I remember getting to Charlotte and thinkin, "Where were we?". All the trees felt vastly different than what I saw in Texas, it even felt different from what I saw in Dallas when driving through there. It's a bigger change in scenery than you think.
who said anything about scenery? and what do you mean it's a bigger change than i think? i've lived in texas, south carolina/georgia, and tennessee and i've been back and forth a thousand times. plus, i'm sure i'm atleast 10 years older than you, so i've known these areas probably before you were even born. i know what i'm talking about

Old 09-29-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:

GRANTED, I will say this. The LONGER you stay in the Southeast, the MORE you'll see the similarities between Texas and the Southeast. When I 1st got to Charlotte, it was like whoa, this is gonna be different. But now, I see a little bit of Austin in Charlotte, everyday. Things out here just keep popping up out of nowhere that remind me of Austin. The longer you stay, the more they start looking alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City