Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's fine. Draw me a fairly straight line then.
I don't know how posters upload images, But this map here works without the line. just go north from Jacksonville. Look at Atlanta, then Jacksonville, then the NC coast. Starting in Dallas and ending at Jacksonville is kind of stooping short eastward. Jacksonville is the coast but it's not the farthest east you can go.

http://comlmaps.org/gallery/us-nric-.../image_preview

http://www.smamusements.com/images/locations.gif

http://www.hiscopumpsouth.com/images/map.jpg

Old 01-12-2012, 12:32 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I don't know how posters upload images, But this map here works without the line. just go north from Jacksonville. Look at Atlanta, then Jacksonville, then the NC coast. Starting in Dallas and ending at Jacksonville is kind of stooping short eastward. Jacksonville is the coast but it's not the farthest east you can go.
I know this, but what's the mid-point for a horizontal line across the south?

Old 01-12-2012, 02:14 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The Upper South: Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Tennessee, and North Carolina.

Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

don't know if everyone would go with that upland thing.

It includes, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, and it includes the deep south states Alabama, Mississippi. Nah that is just too broad. Might as well say that Alabama and Mississippi are in all the regions too.
Unfortunately, Htownlove doesn't get to decide what is and what isn't the Upper South. North Georgia and the rest of the Southern Appalachians have always been considered the US. I don't know why this is news to you. Those states you listed are the states that are solidly in the Upland region.

I agree that the green highlight was a little broad, but they got most of it right, and you are the one who cited Wikipedia has a credible source.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Valdosta isn't any closer than any major population center in south Louisiana. Doesn't the gulf coast vibe greatly diminish after Panama City, Tallahassee isn't on the coast and that's the closest city that would influence Valdosta.
It doesn't matter if it's necessarily closer than any major city in South Louisiana; it's close enough. There's definitely a Gulf Coast vibe in southwestern Georgia. You have to be familiar with the area to know what I'm talking about.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Here's the southeast which is every state in the south besides TX and OK.
For like the third time, the southeast does not include Arkansas or most of Louisiana. Both of these states are the western south.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:27 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
atlanta is the most fuctional and has the least crime out of all does cities.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
atlanta is the most fuctional and has the least crime out of all does cities.
Really?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Just an observation....

In lots of ways, I see San Antonio in somewhat of the same vein as New Orleans.

I suppose the biggest difference is that New Orleans is in a state often regarded as "Deep South". But at the same time? San Antonio has a strong element of Southern history...and even advertises itself as "A Combination of Old South and Old Mexico." Would that be all that much different with New Orleans as being "Old South and New France"?

Seriously, I am just asking opinions. This is not intented to be "ironic" in the least. I don't have a lot of experience in either city ....

Old 01-12-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just an observation....

In lots of ways, I see San Antonio in somewhat of the same vein as New Orleans.

I suppose the biggest difference is that New Orleans is in a state often regarded as "Deep South". But at the same time? San Antonio has a strong element of Southern history...and even advertises itself as "A Combination of Old South and Old Mexico." Would that be all that much different with New Orleans as being "Old South and New France"?

Seriously, I am just asking opinions. This is not intented to be "ironic" in the least. I don't have a lot of experience in either city ....
Good point. I think what often causes San Antonio to be disregarded as a southern city is three things:

1) It's culture and demographics are strongly tied to Mexico, and many folks always equate anything Mexican with the Southwest, which is a mistake. As I've stated before, Mexico has its relationship with the Southwest, and it has its own distinct relationship with Texas.

2) The terrain and topography of much of South Central Texas doesn't resemble most of the south, which is known for its pines.

3) The accents: it seems that very few native San Antonionians speak in what could be described as a southern accent. For the most part, the dialect in the area is very neutral, and many of the younger people even sound like they could be from California. It's a stark contrast from the unmistakenly southern speech of many natives of Dallas or Houston.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Good point. I think what often causes San Antonio to be disregarded as a southern city is three things:

1) It's culture and demographics are strongly tied to Mexico, and many folks always equate anything Mexican with the Southwest, which is a mistake. As I've stated before, Mexico has its relationship with the Southwest, and it has its own distinct relationship with Texas.

2) The terrain and topography of much of South Central Texas doesn't resemble most of the south, which is known for its pines.

3) The accents: it seems that very few native San Antonionians speak in what could be described as a southern accent. For the most part, the dialect in the area is very neutral, and many of the younger people even sound like they could be from California. It's a stark contrast from the unmistakenly southern speech of many natives of Dallas or Houston.
Everything you said is on point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City