Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:00 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I actually brought that point up several pages ago.

Nothing against Dallas, but Houston generally has more of an identity, and quite frankly, our city means more to many of us than our state does. Dallas is more "Texan", and thus, has more of an affinity with the state. I'm sure many will disagree, but that's what I've always observed.
I can see that. When in Houston or in any area of east Texas it seems completely different than the rest of the state. I always get more of a southern vibe when i'm in east Texas than anything. Dallas is very "Texas" and I think it tends to be the first city most people think of when Texas comes to mind.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I can see that. When in Houston or in any area of east Texas it seems completely different than the rest of the state. I always get more of a southern vibe when i'm in east Texas than anything. Dallas is very "Texas" and I think it tends to be the first city most people think of when Texas comes to mind.
Exactly. East Texas is a separate entity. Culturally I think cities like Austin and San Antonio have just as much in common with El Paso as they do with Houston.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly. East Texas is a separate entity. Culturally I think cities like Austin and San Antonio have just as much in common with El Paso as they do with Houston.
Eh, I don't know if I'd go that far, but SA and Austin do fall somewhere in the middle.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
New Orleans before Katrina.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
New Orleans before Katrina.
Cultural, maybe. Socially and economically, it doesn't hold a candle to the top four or five.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:20 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I hear this argument all to often, I have visited Austin more times than I can care to count and have also seen San Antonio a few times also. With San Antonio I agree with Nairobi and also agree with you to an extent that it looks like a hybrid of Houston crossed with El Paso. With the shrubby short cactuses and the generally browner terrain but still maintaining plenty of trees on hills. The grass in San Antonio is no where close to as green as Houston or even Austin for that matter but its not yellow/brown/dead the way one would find in El Paso, its a lime green type of color in the summer. As for the personality/character of the city, San Antonio is southern the same way Miami is. Immigrants and the overwhelming minority presence doesn't detract from the southern drawl, culture, and history both San Antonio and Miami share. They are quintessentially southern, just southern in a different way than Atlanta.

Now Austin is more in the line with DC, except its much smaller. In Austin the southern culture is more prevalent than it is in DC simply because DC is triple the size of Austin. Austin in say 40 years when it reaches the size DC is today will be similar in its transient culture. Austin will feel just as void of 'culture' as DC does, because no one group will have the prevalent culture to set the metro apart. In Austin you have the transplants, natives, immigrants, and tourists and as of now the natives are a balance with non natives but as Austin continuous to grow it will begin losing its native roots and culture along with it. It will always remain a southern city however due to its history, native drawl, and location just as DC has.

Dallas is the quintessential city of Texas. As someone prior to has already mentioned Dallas and Texas ring together in many ways. Much of what people outside of Texas think of the state, they also think of those things for Dallas. Here in my office when you ask anyone what they think of Texas you hear 'cowboys', 'prison', 'football', 'oil', pick up trucks, hot and dry, dry looking terrain, nothing but empty prairie for hundreds of miles in each direction, big hair, and Rick Perry type of politics. Now not to say all these things are synonymous with Dallas but that is how people outside of Texas view both Texas and Dallas as and while Dallas is a modern/progressive city you have to realize that Texas holds a very negative position in the eyes of most Americans and the state outside of Austin does nothing to throw out public perception. Places like Fort Worth in the Dallas area embody and embrace that sort of culture. So while Dallas is the first city most people think of when thinking of Texas, its also the first place in Texas that people associate those characteristics of Texas with. I truly love Dallas and do believe its a modern, progressive, international place much beyond stereotypes but also do believe that Dallas embraces that perception of Texas when it shouldn't because it sets the perception of Dallas back IMO.

IMO the south overall has a more favorable reputation than Texas does based on my travels, Houston for example when I am there I feel like I am in Louisiana's largest city not Texas's. The terrain, lush greenery, the gulf coast, and the weather with the culture and mindset of the people there is more akin to the south than to Texas IMO.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
IMO the south overall has a more favorable reputation than Texas does based on my travels, Houston for example when I am there I feel like I am in Louisiana's largest city not Texas's. The terrain, lush greenery, the gulf coast, and the weather with the culture and mindset of the people there is more akin to the south than to Texas IMO.
I take it you haven't spent much time in Louisiana.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I visit Louisiana once every 15 months. So tell me what about Houston's terrain looks/feels different than most of Louisiana?

Is it the lush trees? The bayous/wetlands? Gulf coast? Weather? No I believe both Louisiana and the Houston area share these common characteristics. Then again I'm talking to the guy whose never seen crawfish restaurants in Houston before, I haven't ever even lived there but see many each time I visit the city.

According to annie_himself, Louisiana is just a mythical place. Flying unicorns, world peace, people of every background hurdling around camp fire holding hands and singing 'Kumbaya' together while telling stories of their former homes/homelands prior to moving to Louisiana. This is how your posts come off, I dont know if you mean to hype up Louisiana this much but almost every single post by you is attacking Atlantans/Texans/other southerners, fulfilling misconceptions of places you have never experienced in real life, and putting Louisiana on such a high stage, more than it belongs

Old 01-28-2012, 12:38 PM

As for my post commenting on Houston feeling like the largest city in Louisiana rather than Texas it was a metaphorical example, replace Louisiana with any other gulf coast southern state and my argument is still valid.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:49 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How can you disagree with Slyman? Houston does feel like Louisiana. Take away the millions of illegals and it could easily pass as Louisiana's largest city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City