Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:48 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There is a Houston accent, you of all people know it. Nome talm baut, stick of dro, Nome sayn, etc. If there's no accent then why do most of the blacks born before the 90s sound like they could be in SUC?!
Lol, well, every city has it's own subculture and unique way of talking, but everybody here doesn't sound like that.

Half of Houstonians with southern accents talk more slow, while the rest of us talk more fast. I'm the latter, and the only time I say "nomtombot" is when I'm goofing around.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm sorry Nairobi but I'm not seeing it in those google maps.

Richmond is EASILY Southern. There is no doubt about that. Don't know how it's barely Southern. As far as Houston feeling like a different world. Well, it does. It's very international. No city other than maybe Dallas has that feel within 500-600 miles of it. But I should say there is a Louisiana element in that area.
Well its just a different type of southern up there.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Lol, well, every city has it's own subculture and unique way of talking, but everybody here doesn't sound like that.

Half of Houstonians with southern accents talk more slow, while the rest of us talk more fast. I'm the latter, and the only time I say "nomtombot" is when I'm goofing around.
Its still an accent native to Houston.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:11 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
I'm sorry Nairobi but I'm not seeing it in those google maps.
I don't see how you don't, but I can't force you to see anything.

Houston Texas - Google Maps

Shreveport Louisiana - Google Maps

To be clear, I never said all of Shreveport looked liked Houston, but parts of it absolutely do. They both have that southern, flat, piney-woods-straddling-plain look to them. Not to mention, many of the exact same trees and other flora grow in both cities. Geographically, their distance is great, but they're naturally much closer to each other than Houston and San Antonio.

I'm not one who likes to use streetview to prove a point, but it's a helpful tool for conveying what I've seen with the naked eye, and that's that parts of Shreveport do indeed look like Houston. No doubt about it.

Speaking of streetview, I've noticed that they updated most of their pictures of Houston, and they did it right around spring time, when many neighborhoods are at their most beautiful.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:33 PM

Houston and Shreveport definitely look similar in a few parts. Same with any sunbelt city sans the more urban ones.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:17 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I can see it there in those links. There really isn't any urban part of Shreveport outside of their very tiny downtown core. Most of Shreveport beginning immediately outside of the downtown is very suburban. That link of Houston is showing suburban Houston. Most post WW2 suburban areas of the sunbelt look alike. There are areas in NOVA and Suburban Maryland that look exactly like those two links.

Quote:
Well its just a different type of southern up there.
That's a given.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I can see it there in those links. There really isn't any urban part of Shreveport outside of their very tiny downtown core. Most of Shreveport beginning immediately outside of the downtown is very suburban. That link of Houston is showing suburban Houston. Most post WW2 suburban areas of the sunbelt look alike. There are areas in NOVA and Suburban Maryland that look exactly like those two links.

That's a given.
The Highlands and Queensborough in Shreveport are urban in layout, not dense but not winding subburban roads either, my cousin owns a house in the Highlands in an older walkable neighborhood with a park in her back yard. Much of Queensborough could pass for the east side of Houston no doubt. With that said, the Garden District in Baton Rouge could pass for the area of University Blvd between Kirby and Main. I would have expected those homes to be much bigger and well kept, but to my surprise they aren't.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:46 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The Highlands and Queensborough in Shreveport are urban in layout, not dense but not winding subburban roads either, my cousin owns a house in the Highlands in an older walkable neighborhood with a park in her back yard. Much of Queensborough could pass for the east side of Houston no doubt. With that said, the Garden District in Baton Rouge could pass for the area of University Blvd between Kirby and Main. I would have expected those homes to be much bigger and well kept, but to my surprise they aren't.
Urban in layout? Maybe. Doesn't make it urban. I would say most of Houston is urban in layout. But we know better than to call most of Houston urban. Winding roads doesn't make an area suburban. Otherwise, Boston would be suburban and again, we know better than to call Boston suburban. What I've seen from Queensborough in Shreveport (and yes, I've been through there), doesn't remind me of East Houston inside the loop. Maybe points towards the beltway. Just to add. That area of Shreveport actually reminds me alot of SE Dallas.

Garden District in BR does remind me of some parts of Houston. Not that area of University BLVD though.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Urban in layout? Maybe. Doesn't make it urban. I would say most of Houston is urban in layout. But we know better than to call most of Houston urban. Winding roads doesn't make an area suburban. Otherwise, Boston would be suburban and again, we know better than to call Boston suburban. What I've seen from Queensborough in Shreveport (and yes, I've been through there), doesn't remind me of East Houston inside the loop. Maybe points towards the beltway. Just to add. That area of Shreveport actually reminds me alot of SE Dallas.

Garden District in BR does remind me of some parts of Houston. Not that area of University BLVD though.
Houston is far too large for it to be 'mostly' urban. Nothing urban about anything outside of the loop, and certain neighborhoods like Upper Kirby aren't urban inside the loop.

Shreveport: Shreveport, LA - Google Maps
Houston: Houston, TX - Google Maps
(Damn Houston looks so much better!)

The style of homes are different than most in Baton Rouge but still reminds me of it because of the nearby colleges, etc...

Old 01-29-2012, 02:21 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Call me crazy, but I get more of a North/Central Texas vibe from those pictures. Shreveport and Dallas are more similar and connected than Houston and Shreveport. The infamous "urr" ending that is prominent in Dallas is common in Northern Lousiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City