Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:29 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Very true. Miami, Dallas and Houston are in the Southern half of the U.S. but they aren't the true definition of a southern city.
What do you mean by that? The South is quite varied so there's no one "true definition of a Southern city." They are all Southern in their own way.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han$ome Texan View Post
well if thats the case san antonio is 470+ square miles which is three times the size of atl and has a smaller population than houston but a larger pop than dallas and atl. austin is extactly the same size as atl in land but still has higher pop than atl what does your point prove
To echo spade Austin is 297.90 sq mi, Atlanta is 132.4 sq mi............ Also the San Antonio to Dallas comparison is off but I'm not going to touch on it.

Austin metro has 1.7 million in 4,285 sq mi
San Antonio metro has 2.1 million in 7,387 sq. mi

Atlanta has over 3 million in just 1,700 sq mi
hit 5 million some where between 5,000 to, 6,000 sq mi.

Houston is bigger than Atlanta it's metro is 700,000 more but Houston in't 6 times Atlanta size. ) City limits are misleading don't over do it.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Debate? Not really Houston city limits is 579.4 sq mi and has 2 million. That's like North Fulton, Atlanta and Dekalb county. Philly is 1,526,006 Atlanta would pass that. And would end up some where between Houston and Philly populations. To come out 5th behind Houston. But this isn't nothing to be shocked about Houston has a large city limit, and Atlanta's small city limit doesn't represents the region well as a large sun belt metro. After the bold was my larger point I was trying to make anyways.
Looking at urban areas, Houston and even DFW have Atlanta beat by more than 1000ppsm.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:59 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Very true. Miami, Dallas and Houston are in the Southern half of the U.S. but they aren't the true definition of a southern city. Atlanta is the only one of the four that fits that bill.
They are true Southern cities, they're just not influenced by Atlanta culturally in any way, shape or form. That's not to say that Atlanta isn't the best candidate for Capital of the South, because I think it really is the closest to being the capital of the South and rightfully deserves these votes. I'm just saying those cities are kinda the "fringe" cities of the South. They kinda do their thing and stand-out, just like the states they're in. They don't let any one city speak for them. Texas and Florida in particular are too big to have one city spokesperson for their state even for cities WITHIN their state. People in Texas can't even come to a consensus in which city reps Texas. Something with Florida, as the state is pretty much split culturally. If they can't even find an in-state city to rep them, they can't look to an out of state city to rep them.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
They are true Southern cities, they're just not influenced by Atlanta culturally in any way, shape or form. That's not to say that Atlanta isn't the best candidate for Capital of the South, because I think it really is the closest to being the capital of the South and rightfully deserves these votes. I'm just saying those cities are kinda the "fringe" cities of the South. They kinda do their thing and stand-out, just like the states they're in. They don't let any one city speak for them. Texas and Florida in particular are too big to have one city spokesperson for their state even for cities WITHIN their state. People in Texas can't even come to a consensus in which city reps Texas. Something with Florida, as the state is pretty much split culturally. If they can't even find an in-state city to rep them, they can't look to an out of state city to rep them.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:14 AM

177 posts, read 266,817 times
Quote:
for hip hop texas looks to houston, for sports i say dallas, for bbq its lockhart, for family fun or a romantic san antonio

Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Houston too, and before you mention the Mexicans, they sre integral to the US and are all over the south now. They are part of the "New South."
They aren't really "all over the South" like that compared to Houston though. I mean in the rest of the South, Blacks FAR outnumber Mexicans in every Southern city outside of Texas and they haven't assimilated that much into the culture that much. Houston is an entirely different story. Hispanics outnumber Blacks 2 to 1 and it's going to widen as the years go on. Houston is like Miami in this regards.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
They aren't really "all over the South" like that compared to Houston though. I mean in the rest of the South, Blacks FAR outnumber Mexicans in every Southern city outside of Texas and they haven't assimilated that much into the culture that much. Houston is an entirely different story. Hispanics outnumber Blacks 2 to 1 and it's going to widen as the years go on. Houston is like Miami in this regards.
Yes I know but there are evident along the gulf coast especially after Katrina, Rita, and Gustav. Atlanta is gaining more as well. New Orleans has a much more significant central American population and it will only grow from there. Baton Rouge now has parts of the city more populated by central Americans and ethnic stores like you'd find in Houston. It wasn't like that years ago.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Yeah, I agree with Spade. Although Hispanic growth is an aspect happening in every city in the South, ATL/CLT/Nashville/Richmond/Memphis/Raleigh/NO etc, etc, are still nowhere near Miami/Houston/Dallas/San Antonio/Austin numbers when it comes to Hispanics. Those cities(ATL, CLT, Richmond, Memphis, NO, etc) percentage wise aren't even on Orlando and Tampa's level.

Last edited by polo89; 03-12-2012 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Yeah, I agree with Spade. Although Hispanic growth is an aspect happening in every city in the South. But ATL/CLT/Nashville/Richmond/Memphis/Raleigh etc, etc, are still nowhere near Miami/Houston/Dallas/San Antonio/Austin numbers when it comes to Hispanics. Those cities(ATL, CLT, Richmond, Memphis, etc) percentage wise aren't even on Orlando and Tampa's level.
Of course they aren't but how many cities in the south have noticeable populations? Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, the rest of south LA, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, and not to mention all the rural areas in between. It's not going to stop any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City