Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It depends which towns you speak of. Only the towns that have that certain industry. For the most part, it doesn't seem that way in GA.
Trust me, they're all over the place in Georgia:

Quote:
Since the poultry industry sprouted from Hall County roots in the 1930s, production has been concentrated in north Georgia. In 1997 twenty-six of the thirty-two Georgia counties that produced more than 10 million broilers each were located in the northern half of the state. The top producer, Franklin County, and neighboring Banks, Habersham, Hall, Jackson, and Madison counties produced more than a quarter of the state's total broilers. Processing plants, feed mills, and hatcheries dot north Georgia. At the same time, the poultry industry spans nearly the entire state. About three-quarters of all Georgia counties commercially produce chicken, and the 10-million-plus group includes Tattnall County, in south Georgia.

Poultry production is also moving increasingly south, where land is cheaper and more plentiful and as cooling has been improved to cope with the hot summers of south Georgia. As of 2002 south Georgia's share of 10-million-plus counties rose from less than 20 percent to 35 percent. Long-established Claxton Poultry in Evans County is only the first of a growing number of processing plants in south Georgia. Others include Tyson plants in Buena Vista, Dawson, Oglethorpe, and Vienna; Cagle's in Camilla; and Gold Kist in Douglas. In May 2004 Mississippi-based Sanderson Farms announced that it would build a new poultry production complex on sites in Cook and Colquitt counties.
New Georgia Encyclopedia: Poultry

However, you really wouldn't know this unless you're familiar with the industries in which Hispanics have a heavy presence like poultry processing or with small-town Georgia off the beaten path, and most visitors to the state are either headed to Atlanta or Savannah. Hispanic growth is much more common across the rural South than you might think.

Quote:
Mitchell said South Carolina's forestry, peach and poultry industries have attracted Hispanic migrant workers. In some cases they've changed rural community demographics.

"You have a low-wage work force available," Mitchell said. "You can drive into these small towns and see where some of the old boarded-up stores have been turned into Hispanic churches."
http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/me...south-carolina

And check out this report: Rural Hispanic Population Growth:Industrial Restructuring and the Changing Low-skilled Labor Force

Last edited by Mutiny77; 03-14-2012 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
It depends which towns you speak of. Only the towns that have that certain industry. For the most part, it doesn't seem that way in GA.
Dalton was a good example, And the link Mutiny source was "New Georgia Encyclopedia: Latino Immigration"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes. I can say it's unfamiliar in most parts of the South. Because the Hispanic population in most Southern states are small. Disregard Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte. I know they have a growing Hispanic population. I'm talking about those small towns that will remain small. They will hardly see a growing Hispanic population for a few decades. Very different from Texas and Florida to an extent. The Hispanic population in the South is similar to the Black American population in the Upper Midwest and Great Plains towns. I would without hesitation say that the culture of Blacks is unfamiliar to the people of Valentine, Nebraska.
But that's why I was talking about major metros most of the south is urban. So let separate most parts of the south, from most people in the south. There's a reason why I wasn't talking about small towns. They make up a small population of the south.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
No.... I have Lived in DFW I even stayed in a majority Hispanic neighborhood before.... NO! It's not a culture shock. Growing up I have always had friends of different backgrounds. Thus there was nothing culturally shocking to me in Texas...... beside those truck commercials.

Exactly,
It depends who you talk to, and where you live. I've had family from back East visit me in Texas, and all I've heard was "Man there's plenty of Mexicans down there." But then again we took them to San Antonio so that might've been the difference. But I haven't seen anything in Atlanta mirroring what's to be found in Texas. But I have driven past a heavily Mexican area of Atlanta before.

Dallas is close to 40% Hispanic and Atlanta is at 13%? if I'm not mistaken. Maybe the metro areas are closer, but even then The Metroplex is 21% Hispanic(This was from the 2000 census from 12yrs ago, so it might be double what it is today) out of 6 million people and the city-limits of Dallas are 40% out of 1.2million people. Is that not a noticeable difference? Dallas County alone has 905,000 Hispanics, that's more Hispanics than the state of GA has as a whole. GA currently sits at 853,000 Hispanics, which I will admit is ALOT compared to what most people(including myself) thought it had.

But GA sits at 853,000 Hispanics(8.8% of GA's population), and Texas at 9,000,000 Hispanics(37.6% of Texas's population). So it isn't that GA doesn't have alot of Hispanics, it's just that Texas has just SOOOO much more. GA is closer to Florida than it is to Texas, but GA even catching Florida is a stretch, because Florida currently sits at 3 million, that's even more than the state of NY.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:49 PM

160 posts, read 311,136 times
Quote:
Yes and no. Someone from Atlanta won't experience that much culture shock if they moved to 35% Hispanic Austin, or 25-26% Hispanic Orlando/Tampa. But I assure you, they'd feel kinda "different" if they moved to Miami, San Antonio, or large swaths of Houston.
True, I knew quite a few Blacks, Anglos and even other Hispanic transplants from other parts of the country who felt "different" in Miami. The thing about Miami isn't just that its Hispanic population is so high (65%) but rather that it's so "foreign". Dade County is the only county in the country where the majority of its residents are foreign born (51%), 6 of the 10 cities with the highest percentage of foreign born residents are suburbs in Miami and the other 4 are tiny towns in TX and CA. In Miami, the city of Hialeah is 73% foreign born with a population of over 225,000 (largest immigrant enclave in the US). That's the difference between comparing Miami with other another Hispanic-majority city like San Antonio. SA is 63% Hispanic but only 13% foreign born, many SA Hispanics are long time US residents, multi-generational and don't speak Spanish anymore. So Miami isn't just majority Hispanic but majority 1st and 2nd generation Hispanic immigrants (or exiles as the older Cubans like to be called ). Also, spanish speaking and "Latin-ness" in Miami is more pervasive than other places because there's a significant to absolute majority Hispanic population in pretty much every city and suburb in Dade County, from lower-income and middle class neighborhoods to the wealthiest suburbs like Coral Gables.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:08 PM

177 posts, read 266,948 times
there is no capitol....

Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
True, I knew quite a few Blacks, Anglos and even other Hispanic transplants from other parts of the country who felt "different" in Miami. The thing about Miami isn't just that its Hispanic population is so high (65%) but rather that it's so "foreign". Dade County is the only county in the country where the majority of its residents are foreign born (51%), 6 of the 10 cities with the highest percentage of foreign born residents are suburbs in Miami and the other 4 are tiny towns in TX and CA. In Miami, the city of Hialeah is 73% foreign born with a population of over 225,000 (largest immigrant enclave in the US). That's the difference between comparing Miami with other another Hispanic-majority city like San Antonio. SA is 63% Hispanic but only 13% foreign born, many SA Hispanics are long time US residents, multi-generational and don't speak Spanish anymore. So Miami isn't just majority Hispanic but majority 1st and 2nd generation Hispanic immigrants (or exiles as the older Cubans like to be called ). Also, spanish speaking and "Latin-ness" in Miami is more pervasive than other places because there's a significant to absolute majority Hispanic population in pretty much every city and suburb in Dade County, from lower-income and middle class neighborhoods to the wealthiest suburbs like Coral Gables.
Pretty much. I can't think of one suburb in Dade County that's below 20% Hispanic. Even historically Black areas like Carol City/Miami Gardens are hovering somewhere around 35-45% Hispanic. I think Carol City is currently 42% Hispanic(But Carol City was annexed by Miami Gardens which is 22% Hispanic). What's happening in Carol City, Opa-Locka, Miami Gardens is similar to what happened to South Central LA/Compton/Inglewood.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Baltimore is officially the capital of the south

Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
Like I said before this thread should have been closed long time ago. Atlanta isthe center for SC, Ala. Part of Tenn. Miami, Tampa, NOLA, Houston, Dallas, SA, Austin, Nashville, Memphis do not give a hoot what happens in Atlanta.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:17 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,432 times
Old thread but I feel I need to say few things:

1. It doesn't matter if you don't give a "hoot" what happens some where. How many people in NYC care about what goes down in Albany? Let's be honest.

2. Sports teams are a terrible gauge of a city's influence. LA doesn't have any football teams.

3. Charlotte, Dallas, Miami, and Houston is definitely NOT the capital of the South. Being from Texas, I can say that Dallas and Houston have more of their own thing going, though they are still part of the South. Miami is more focused on Latin America. And people think about Charlotte about as much as they think about Nashville or Jacksonville.

4. Atlanta's airport is a key indicator of its importance. Busiest in the U.S. Almost every Delta flight in the Southeast has to layover there.

5. Atlanta has a huge influence on Southern hip-hop, it is home to dozens of artists.

6. Since when does the capital of anything have to be in the center? Case and point: Carson City, Olympia, Boston, and DC.

So Atlanta is the capital not because it controls what happens but culturally it is the embodiment of many aspects of Southern culture: the Civil War (it was freakin burned to the ground in the infamous Sherman's March), the Civil Rights movement, the Olympics, music, and much more.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:30 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is officially the capital of the south
Uh, no.

BTW, this thread has gone on muuuuuuuuuch longer than it should have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City