Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:25 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Talk to me when the Caucasian population in Metro Atlanta drops below 50%. Houston is already at 43%.
So your criteria for a diverse city is when the percentage of the white population is less than 50%? What if the whites are of different decents; German, Italian, English, Russian, Spanish, Greek etc..

By your criteria than El Paso TX is more diverse than Houston and Miami.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:27 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
So your criteria for a diverse city is when the percentage of the white population is less than 50%? What if the whites are of different decents; German, Italian, English, Russian, Spanish, Greek etc..

By your criteria than El Paso TX is more diverse than Houston and Miami.
Too bad Atlanta is not too big on those fronts. I already posted the charts not too far back. Go look at them. And by my criteria, I think El Paso is more diverse than Houston and Miami? Nope, because basically one group (Mexicans) dominate El Paso's "diversity" and it basically has a non-existent Asian population (of course, outside of the military bases). Again, nice try.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
All I know is that dekalb county is not more diverse than Miami. Atlanta maybe, and I mean MAYBE. But DeKalb I dont think so.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Atlanta isn't close to Miami diversity either. Only Houston is in the South. Atlanta is on Dallas' level (and not saying these two places aren't diverse, but not as much as the other two).

Old 12-28-2008, 08:19 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Who cares about Diversity thats why i got out of miami I couldnt even go to mcdonalds because no one there speaks english in the drive thru I dont wanna live anywhere where no one speaks english all this yap yap yap yap But this thread needs to be closed its pointless you ask me

Old 12-28-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Who cares about Diversity thats why i got out of miami I couldnt even go to mcdonalds because no one there speaks english in the drive thru I dont wanna live anywhere where no one speaks english all this yap yap yap yap But this thread needs to be closed its pointless you ask me
Who cares about diversity? I love being around different types of people and being able to try different types of foods/culture. If that's not your style, then that's you. Don't try to knock someone who likes diversity.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:12 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Who cares about diversity? I love being around different types of people and being able to try different types of foods/culture. If that's not your style, then that's you. Don't try to knock someone who likes diversity.
At street level without knowing the census data, I doubt anyone could identify differences in diversity ratios between Dallas, Atlanta and Houston. Comparing New York's diversity to any of the above cities, that would be distinguishable.

If the South had a capital city, it would be Atlanta.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Quote:
thereth

Im not knocking anyone if thats what you like then hey i dont have a problem i grew up around it all my life and it became irritating when your doctor needs an interpeter in order to tell you test results. there is diversity here in atlanta but not at a high rate and thats how i like it. This is my opinion so PLEASE dont try and argue with me about what i stated. These Forums tend to turn into debates in stead of discussions and i have been caught up in them

Old 12-28-2008, 10:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
At street level without knowing the census data, I doubt anyone could identify differences in diversity ratios between Dallas, Atlanta and Houston. Comparing New York's diversity to any of the above cities, that would be distinguishable.

If the South had a capital city, it would be Atlanta.
Actually you can notice a difference. In Houston I could walk around the corner and run in asians,indians,africans,whites,etc. I live in a predominatly black area of Houston, but the city is very intergrated and it is not surprising to see all types of ethnic groups living and working in one area. Diversity in Houston dosen't just happen in certian areas, you find it all around the city without even having to look for it.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:43 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Thats weird I was just in miami lakes at a mcdonalds and the person there was speaking perfect english lol. Im down here in SoFla on vacation visiting family in west palm. All im saying is that people on here need not to overexaggerate the whole non-speaking english thing down here in SoFla. I live in Charlotte and at a McDonalds I was at, there was a lady at the window taking orders in a thick spanish accent and we could barley understand her. She was speaking some VERY broken english. So its not just a FLA thing. And by the way I was just awnsering someone who said that DeKalb county is more diverse than Dade County which is not true. But hey what does it matter diversity is a negetive thing right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City