U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:21 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,976,638 times

Advertisements

We all have our opinions, and I value yours, but I dont think Indy is anywhere close to the level Chicago is on. Id compare Indy more to Jacksonville or Louisville. Its not on the same playing field as Chicago. Thatd be like comparing a Ford to a Ferrari. LOL

Sure Chicago has bad neighborhoods, as does Indy. Downtown? Chicago wins hands down. Suburbs? Again Chicago. Nightlife? Chicago. Cuisine? Chicago. Arts? Chicago. Museums? Chicago. I cant think of one thing (other than COL) that Indy is better at. No offense, but you really cant compare the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 11:52 PM

LOL

I wasnt "attacking" was I?

As for the restaurant thing, well, I think youre dead wrong. Chicago is known worldwide for its cuisine and THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of restaurants. The top chefs in the world all have restaurants here, so yes, it makes a big deal to alot of people, knowing that world renowned restaurants are everywhere in Chicago.

On the topic of police presence in downtown, its a good thing. Downtown is very safe, and besided NYC, I think it would be safe to say its the safest for a city its size. Ive never been bothered downtown and its nice to know that cops are there to help out. Would I feel safe in NYC w/o police? No. Same goes for LA, Detroit, Phoenix, Seattle, etc. No big city is safe, and a police presence like Chicago puts forth is a great thing to see.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:18 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,638,298 times
Okay, I'll speak as one familiar with Indianapolis and Chicago as I had good friends who used to live there (they have since moved to Seattle) and as someone who lived in Bloomington Indiana I visited Indy quite often, to the point of rarely needing a map now when I do go down there. That being said. I have lived in Chicago proper for over 11 years, and grew up directly outside of the city to its south. I like it here quite a bit and could easily see myself settling down here (in fact, given how long i've lived here, many would say that I already have). When I moved back to the city after my short stint in Bloomington, and even considering Indianapolis at on point, it felt like home to me in a why that no place else ever has.

I love the cultural outlets here (I work in the arts), the ethnic neighborhoods, that I don't have to own a car, that I can hear a myriad of languages walking down the street everyday, those wonderful early spring weekends where the streets are teeming with people just thrilled at warm sunshine, that I regularly run into friends and neighbors just walking down the street in my neighborhood, because, well, I'm walking down the street and not driving somewhere, I love that I have so many culinary options that do not involve chain restaurants (my BIL is a chef and food has always been a big deal in my family), I love playing volleyball on the lake on a summer night, I love walking past a park and watching guys play softball with those ridiculous 16 inch balls they use. Nor am I particularly taken with the notion of owning a house with lots of space, I grew up in small houses and apartments, and have lived in apartments for 15 or so years now of my adult life, and it has never particularly bothered me.

Is housing cheaper in Indy, of course it is, are the schools better, sadly, yes. Is there less crime in Indy, sure (however, I've never had serious problems besides my previous car being broken into a lot and once being pick-pocketed). Is it less crowded in Indy than Chicago? Of course it is, but it is less crowded in Chicago than it is in New York City (where incidentally a lot of my family is originally from but moved away many years ago), when a whole slew of people choose to live in one place, it is crowded. I like crowded, I like places like Chicago, New York, Boston, London, etc where there is a high density of people, that is my personal choice, those who don't like that would be best served elsewhere. Indy is a fine city in its own right I have no intrinsic problems with it (okay, their public transportation system sucks, but not all cities are really built for that), and I do understand why people would want to live there, but I also understand why people would want to live in Chicago (or on a ranch in Montana for that matter). I'm one of them that made that choice where I could have just as easily chosen Indy, I had job opportunities and friends in both cities when I finished up college. I choose to move back to Chicago 8 years ago and haven't regretted it one bit.

Last edited by j33; 02-24-2007 at 08:34 AM..

Old 02-24-2007, 02:35 PM

Well said j33, thats an excellent post. Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-26-2007, 02:25 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,097,807 times
Having lived Chicago and South Florida (having only visited Miami itself several times, though), I'd take Chicago hands down even with the weather.
Would still be there if not for family reasons (left Florida to go there).

Chicago is clean, friendly and simply beautiful! There is crime there, yes as in any big city, but primarily confined to a few hoods with the drug issues. If you ever watch WGN News via Cable, you'll see that some neighborhoods to the West and South sides usually lead off the newscasts in this regard.

Downtown (including entire Loop, Old City, River North, Gold Coast...), honestly, is the safest town I've ever felt walking around in! (born and raised in Philly).

It's such a walkable city and CTA transit will get you anywhere in inclement weather. (Just research Metra trains if you may consider living in a burb, but hope not :>). Like they say, if you intend to live in the city, may as well sell your car, too LOL.

I'd take Chicago, especially considering you're a social person. Go into a shop or bank a second time and, odds are, they'll remember you!
The quality of life and services there, IMO, just cannot be beat. (I found S Fl. to be much more "laid back" in work ethic, which may be good or bad, depending on a person's preference).

Hit Craigslist and Chicago Readers websites to get a gauge on apartments there (as well as Miami Craigslist and Miami papers). You may end up seing a dumpier place in Miami for as much, if not more, than a nice apartment in ChiTown.
Just bundle up! Such a wide array of shopping there (everything imaginable, from Sax to cool little boutiques) that you'll have fun shopping for all the layers and finding nice deals -- for quality stuff! Good luck.

I've always loved Chicago, and appreciated it even more while actually living there, so sorry for the bias. These are just honest observatons :>)
Beautiful city and nice people!

Old 02-26-2007, 10:43 PM

44 posts, read 175,711 times
Everyone so far has posted some awesome responses. I was born and raised in Chicago and moved to South Florida (Ft Lauderdale) for grad school 3 years ago. All I can tell you about Miami is that it is a major dump. The only thing that people vision when they hear Miami is South Beach. That area is nice and there is plenty of bars/clubs for young people, but as soon as you venture away from that you really ask yourself "what the heck happened?" As a rule of thumb, the way I describe anywhere from West Palm Beach going south is like living in another country. People are mean/bs'ers and there is no distinct separation either, you have the really rich and dirt poor living among each other. I'm not a fan of it.

Personally I moved here for school and for a change from the Chicago climate. I have gotten so spoiled with the weather here that I think i will stay in Florida but relocate to the Tampa area. However if I had to choose, I would pack up and go back to Chicago in a heartbeat. EVERYTHING besides the winter weather is better there.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,105 times
Default Run, don't walk from Miami

Hey, dazednconfused. As a Detroit native I have been to Chicago quite a bit. In choosing to move from Detroit, I was deciding upon Chicago or Florida. I chose Florida and moved to the Tampa area. I also lived in the Orlando area for a couple years. I loved living in the Tampa tri-city area and didn't mind Orlando either. I was very happy in Florida. About 6 years ago I moved to Palm Beach County, which is about 1 hour north of Miami. When I first moved to Palm Beach County I was still enjoying the 'living in Florida' high. Now that I have been here for 6 years I can't wait to move. My 'high' from living in Florida has changed to disgust. My home sold and I am moving out of state next week, and it could not be soon enough. In my opinion all of southeast Florida sucks, from Jupiter south to Miami. Customer service is extremely poor (it shouldn't even be in the english language down here), people are not nice at all and actually very rude (no one says hello, or even looks at you- people will put their head down to avoid eye contact instead of saying hello), it seems everyone is out to ********* over or take advantage of you (at your financial expense, of course), and this is just the beginning of the cons. On the other hand the beaches and palm trees are nice. The weather is nice, but gets old after awhile (it's either hot or hotter). There is no change of seasons. Coming from Michigan, hating the cold, I thought that would be nice, but I now find that I try avoiding being outside in the summer here (as it is too hot and humid) as I avoided being outside in Michigan in the winter for the cold and wind. If I still had the choice to move to Florida I would probably still move to the Tampa area, but you could not give me a home and pay me enough to live in 'South Florida'. If I were you I would go to Chicago. Sure, it may get cold, but that it such a small trade off for all the negatives in South Florida. This is just my opinion, I hope it helps. Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:55 PM

518 posts, read 1,961,278 times
Dazednconfused, if you're still pondering this decision ... Perhaps an "X" factor in a Chicago vs. Miami decision would be Miami's Hispanic (especially Cuban) influence. If you're OK with that, you'll fit in fine. If it bothers you, it's best not to go farther south than Broward County.

Having grown up in Chicago, I think it might be worth your while to try living there just because it's a chance to experience something different, especially if you've never spent a lot of time in the big northern metro areas. If you discover you don't like the weather or have a made a mistake -- well, you're young enough to correct that.

Last edited by chisoxfan; 04-04-2007 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-04-2007, 01:27 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,838,061 times
Cool Mexicans, Cubans, Chileans, Oh My!

If Hispanic influence is a "problem" then don't come to Chicago either. We're currently about 30% Hispanic and growing rapidly. In fact, if the presence of Hispanics are a "problem" then your remaining options are:
  • North Dakota
  • Finland
  • That's about it.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:55 PM

27 posts, read 179,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If Hispanic influence is a "problem" then don't come to Chicago either. We're currently about 30% Hispanic and growing rapidly. In fact, if the presence of Hispanics are a "problem" then your remaining options are:
  • North Dakota
  • Finland
  • That's about it.
LOL

Of course in chicago, if you stay in your neighborhood, it feels like all of chicago is (insert race here).

My suggestion... live in chicago, visit miami and wherever else you would like .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City