U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:17 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It's not, city or metro. Anyone can say whatever they want on this site, I certainly wouldn't accept something as a "fact" without checking!
Yeah, if crime is a major issue then going from Chicago to Miami, you're going to see it more often. Both the city and metropolitan area of Miami rank amongst the 6-8 highest in the country for crime, in nearly every statistical category.

I love Miami but come on, I really do hate it when people use inaccurate information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 PM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
I wouldn't be surprised if South Florida as a whole really is more dangerous than metro Chicago. I'm sure outside of the South and West sides of the city, metro Chicago isn't all that dangerous(with the exception of Gary).. South Florida has high-crime, no-go zones, stretching from Downtown Miami, 59 miles all the way up 2 West Palm Beach's notorious North-end neighborhoods. One can get robbed or shot almost anywhere in South Florid. I doubt this same criminal element exist throughout greater Chicagoland. One has 2 drive pretty far North out of greater South Florida 2 get 2 a considerably "safe" area.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:30 PM

105 posts, read 136,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if South Florida as a whole really is more dangerous than metro Chicago. I'm sure outside of the South and West sides of the city, metro Chicago isn't all that dangerous(with the exception of Gary).. South Florida has high-crime, no-go zones, stretching from Downtown Miami 59 miles up 2 West Palm Beach's notorious North-end neighborhoods. One can get robbed or shot almost anywhere in South Florid. I doubt this same criminal element exist throughout greater Chicagoland. One has 2 drive pretty far North out of greater South Florida 2 get 2 a considerably "safe" area.
This is true. the suburbs of Chicago for the most part feel safe, secure and free from danger. The suburbs of the counties in south florida on the other hand all have towns that face the same problems of a bigger city (drugs, shootings, homelessness). And it doesnt matter which county you choose as they are all interchangeable. Be it Palm Beach, Broward, or Dade

Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 PM

3,647 posts, read 5,302,605 times
Well as you can see my a good amount of response weather is a big factor. Do you want be in Florida heat day and night 365 days a year or variations in weather from really cold to really hot. In terms of

Sports: Go to Chicago
Beaches: Go to Miami
Food: Debatable, just depends on what you like/don't like
Diversity: Go to Chicago
Things to do: Chicago
Nightlife: Again, debatable but probably Chicago by a little
Crime: Both cities are bad, just depends on where you live
Better suburbs: Go to Chicago

I personally would not base it off weather all by itself. It varies from season to season but it usually sits around 25-30 degrees in the winter. I will say that Chicago and the suburbs are probably one of the best areas in the US for salting and plowing snow quickly and effectively when it does come. Without snow and freezing rain its not bad. In the summer months it can get up to 90-100 and its humid!

Old 07-27-2013, 02:26 AM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinikal View Post
This is true. the suburbs of Chicago for the most part feel safe, secure and free from danger. The suburbs of the counties in south florida on the other hand all have towns that face the same problems of a bigger city (drugs, shootings, homelessness). And it doesnt matter which county you choose as they are all interchangeable. Be it Palm Beach, Broward, or Dade
Exactly. Can't disagree.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:56 PM

63 posts, read 111,527 times
It's a tough one, I lived in South Florida for 11 years, and my best friend lives in Chicago. They both have high costs of living, but Chicago, in general, pays better. I would say crime is pretty close, maybe a little better overall in Chicago. Weather, hands down Miami. Lots of things to do in both places, but winter in Chicago is sooo long, you never want to be outside. Both good nightlife, but Miami Beach nightlife is very clicky, unfriendly and if you're a male and not rich, there is nothing for you. Chicagoans are more down to earth. Miami is full of wanna bees and posers. Except for maybe a few bad neighborhoods in Chicago, the people are generally more friendly. Are you ok with diversity, I would say although Chicago is diverse, Miami is like being in another country. If you are US born and raised and Caucasian and live in Miami Dade county you are actually a huge MINORITY. The Chicago suburbs are very homogenious. If long, cold winters don't bother you, pick Chicago. Other than weather and the beaches, palm trees, nothing is better about Miami.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:08 PM

63 posts, read 111,527 times
One thing too add about Miami. I'm not sure why people associate Miami being bad because of Cubans. It's not the Cubans that are committing all the crimes and make Miami a s**t hole. It's all the Haitans and Jamaicans, and to a lesser extent the Colombians and Brazilians. If you live in Miami, you will know what I mean, that Cubans are really not bad people, it's mostly the Haitans, by far that ruin Miami. For the record, I am not Cuban, I'm Caucasian.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,788,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
C'mon man! This is a world class city vs a sprawled beach!

I'm living in the NY area right now and am just an average joe. If someone from NY/Chicago moved to Miami who is average they could run that city! Why? Because a large person of the population doesn't have college degrees and on top of that many can only speak broken English. I could go from being average in NY to having the highest IQ within about a 10 square mile radius. I could literally run Miami with an iron fist. To put it bluntly Miami is just too poor and stupid. Miami Beach is so cute though with their upscale shopping and señoritas - stay in school kids or Miami might be in your future.
do you mean? Half of all the people down here WTF are you talking about? half of the people here are from NY. Nightlife is definatley better in Miami especially in the Winter. The South Florida metro is bizzare because even though Miami is the largest, and principle city.West Palm, and Ft. Lauderdale basically are there own cities with their own suburbs, and hoods. Miami is one of the most densly populated metros in America. I would truly like to see you bring you ignorance to Miami and see how far you get. I wonder what the IQ is in the Bronx? I am just sitting here in utter shock over just how truly Ignorant post is.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 PM

1,632 posts, read 2,068,248 times
Chicago just has so much more going on. A huge, world class city with lots to see and do.
Take away the beaches, palm trees and exotic nightlife and Miami doesnt have that much else to offer IMO.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:45 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,788,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Chicago just has so much more going on. A huge, world class city with lots to see and do.
Take away the beaches, palm trees and exotic nightlife and Miami doesnt have that much else to offer IMO.
Take away Downtown Chicago, and its just a bigger Detroit. I still love Chi-Town though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City