U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Houston, LA, or Chicago? for melting pot diverstiy.
Houston 27 19.57%
Los Angeles 56 40.58%
Chicago 55 39.86%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2009, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 28,377,051 times
Reputation: 7205

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
LOL! That is hilarious and probably true. Don't tell a Belarussian he is a Russian, or else get ready for a fight. Same goes for Sicilians and Italians.

Anyway, I don't know about Houston, but I cannot imagine any city except for maybe NYC being more culturally diverse than the Chi. It's a huge, hulking behemoth on the mid-continent, and it has served as the crossroads of North America for so long that it has collected a vast array of nationalities. They immigrate, develop enclaves within the city, make money, and then their descendants move out to the suburbs (see: Koreans).

I grew up in the western 'burbs, and my high school was just as diverse as, say, Albany Park (one of Chi's most diverse neighborhoods, located on the Far North Side)
Sorry to disappoint but LA would be considered more diverse than the CHI. Houston can be seen as equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2009, 09:20 PM
 
Location: West Town, Chicago
633 posts, read 1,164,836 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That would be great if segregation actually pulled that off in a positive way. But sadly it is not. You can have a integrated Chinatown. I just do not like the aspects of Mexicans on one side of the tracks and Blacks on another side and each threaten to kill each other if one crosses those tracks.
Oh please, this isn't "Warriors." Don't be so dramatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 09:24 PM
 
Location: West Town, Chicago
633 posts, read 1,164,836 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Sorry to disappoint but LA would be considered more diverse than the CHI. Houston can be seen as equal.
LOL, okay. If you like Houston, that's great. That's wonderful! However, like it for what it is.

I don't know, maybe Houston really is this super diverse, humongous metropolis with all this wonderful, cosmopolitan diversity. I have just never, ever heard that. My best friend used to date a girl from Houston, and he's been there and experienced it. I have to be honest: I'm not bashing Houston here, but he was seriously unimpressed.

I've no doubt that Houston is the best city in Texas. However, there really, truly is no city like Chicago. I don't know how to explain it other than to just emphasize the point that Chicago is the most diverse of the three cities mentioned. It isn't as diverse as NYC, and doesn't have certain nationalities that LA has or Houston has, but as a rule, on the whole, it is the most diverse of this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
17,647 posts, read 24,074,070 times
Reputation: 8218
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Oh please, this isn't "Warriors." Don't be so dramatic.
Sorry. I'm not being dramatic. I'm speaking from observation AND my from my families stories when I was there. Also, Chicagoans themselves (ones that live on the Westside) has said similar things in regards to that type of segregation. Friends and Family tell me straight up that Blacks and Mexican DO NOT get along that well in Chicago. So I wasn't being dramatic at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
17,647 posts, read 24,074,070 times
Reputation: 8218
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post

I've no doubt that Houston is the best city in Texas. However, there really, truly is no city like Chicago. I don't know how to explain it other than to just emphasize the point that Chicago is the most diverse of the three cities mentioned. It isn't as diverse as NYC, and doesn't have certain nationalities that LA has or Houston has, but as a rule, on the whole, it is the most diverse of this list.
Explain it. How it is the most diverse of the list? LA simply murders both Houston and Dallas when it comes to diversity and multicultural communities. LA has a much much larger Asian population and a larger diversity of Asians. It has a very large European and Hispanic population. Chicago has more blacks but that's the only thing Chicago has more of when it comes to diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 PM
 
Location: West Town, Chicago
633 posts, read 1,164,836 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Explain it. How it is the most diverse of the list? LA simply murders both Houston and Dallas when it comes to diversity and multicultural communities. LA has a much much larger Asian population and a larger diversity of Asians. It has a very large European and Hispanic population. Chicago has more blacks but that's the only thing Chicago has more of when it comes to diversity.
I'm so glad you asked! Here are some stats, from another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllNoize View Post
..."influx of caucasion middle americans" and "no sense of culture"?

Chicago has the fifth highest foreign-born population in the country.

Chicago has the second highest Polish population in the world outside of Warsaw

The city has a large population of Bulgarians (about 200,000+), Lithuanians,Croats, the second largest Serbian,and the third largest Greek population of any city in the world

Chicago has the second largest Serbian,and the third largest Greek population of any city in the world.

The city also has a large Assyrian population, numbering as many as 80,000 and is the location of the seat of the head of the Assyrian Church of the East

The city is the home to a large Romanian American community with more than 100,000

Chicago has the third largest South Asian American population in the country, after New York City and San Francisco.

Chicago has the second-largest Puerto Rican population in the continental United States,after New York City, and the second largest Mexican population in the United States after Los Angeles.

Chicago is the center of the Palestinian and Jordanian immigrant communities in the United States. There are about 185,000 Arabs in Cook County with another 75,000 in the five surrounding counties

Chicago's largest white ethnic community are of German origin.

Chicago has the third largest Italian American population in the United States, behind only New York and Philadelphia.

At the turn of the 20th century, Chicago was the third-largest Czech city in the world, after Prague and Vienna

The Chicago metropolitan area has the second largest African American population, behind only New York City

Chicago has the largest population of Swedish Americans of any city in the U.S.
Now, will you please hush up about LA and Houston? The question has been answered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
17,647 posts, read 24,074,070 times
Reputation: 8218
Alright, my turn. BTW, I highly doubt most on that list is true. Chicago with more South Asians than LA? There are 2 million Asians in the LA area. There's only over 500,000 in Chicago and most on that list was as of 2000. In 2000, Chicago had just slightly more Mexicans than Houston. I think that has obviously changed by now and Atlanta just recently passed Atlanta for the 2nd largest Black population in the US.


Los Angeles:
has the highest Mexican population in the US.
has the highest Salvadoran population in the US.
has the highest Asian population in the US.
has the 2nd HIGHEST foreign born populatin the US and is very close to surpassing NYC.
Has the 3rd largest Chinese population in the US
Has the largest Vietnamese population in the US.
Has the largest Korean population in the US.
Has the largest Guatemalan population in the US.
Has the largest Japanese population in the US.
Has the largest Armenian population the US.
Has the 2nd largest Russian population in the US.
Only 42% of the citizens of Los Angeles speak English.

Larger Asian population, larger Hispanic population, larger Central American population, larger South American population (I highly doubt Chicago has more Colombians, Brazillians, Venezuelans, and more than Los Angeles, and a equal European population. Los Angeles has a higher mixed race population than Chicago by over 200,000 more. Los Angeles has a larger Pacific Islander population and a larger Amerindian population than Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,676 posts, read 3,892,682 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
I'm so glad you asked! Here are some stats, from another thread.


Now, will you please hush up about LA and Houston? The question has been answered!
Houston's ethnic diversity numbers stand up well to Chicago's. LA pretty much blows everyone out of the water.

Foreign born percentages:

Chicago - 17.53%
Houston - 21.45%
LA - 34.69%

GUM (Global Ubanization Migration) Study for U.S. cities and MSA's.
http://gstudynet.org/gum/US.htm

Last edited by First24; 05-16-2009 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 10:56 PM
 
Location: West Town, Chicago
633 posts, read 1,164,836 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Alright, my turn. BTW, I highly doubt most on that list is true. Chicago with more South Asians than LA? There are 2 million Asians in the LA area. There's only over 500,000 in Chicago and most on that list was as of 2000. In 2000, Chicago had just slightly more Mexicans than Houston. I think that has obviously changed by now and Atlanta just recently passed Atlanta for the 2nd largest Black population in the US.


Los Angeles:
has the highest Mexican population in the US.
has the highest Salvadoran population in the US.
has the highest Asian population in the US.
has the 2nd HIGHEST foreign born populatin the US and is very close to surpassing NYC.
Has the 3rd largest Chinese population in the US
Has the largest Vietnamese population in the US.
Has the largest Korean population in the US.
Has the largest Guatemalan population in the US.
Has the largest Japanese population in the US.
Has the largest Armenian population the US.
Has the 2nd largest Russian population in the US.
Only 42% of the citizens of Los Angeles speak English.

Larger Asian population, larger Hispanic population, larger Central American population, larger South American population (I highly doubt Chicago has more Colombians, Brazillians, Venezuelans, and more than Los Angeles, and a equal European population. Los Angeles has a higher mixed race population than Chicago by over 200,000 more. Los Angeles has a larger Pacific Islander population and a larger Amerindian population than Chicago.

You can highly doubt whatever you want. You might want to read this article, however: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Chicago

Focus on the part that says only NYC and SF have more South Asians than Chicago. Let it marinate.

Chicago has the second-largest Mexican population, after LA. What were you saying about Houston?

"The main ethnic groups in Chicago include African, Irish, German, Italian, Mexican, English, Bulgarian, Greek, Chinese, Lithuanian, Polish, Romanian, Serbian, Swedish, Ukrainian and Puerto Rican."

Those are the groups of which there are enough people that the groups can be called "main." Think about that.

"Chicago is the center of the Palestinian and Jordanian immigrant communities in the United States."

It's okay to admit it. Let it out. Chicago is more diverse than Los Angeles. It's okay. L.A. makes up for it by having more celebrities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Irvine,Oc,Ca
1,423 posts, read 3,984,189 times
Reputation: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
LA's probably going to win culture-wise. City life-wise, Chicago would win.
What a Non Member!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top