U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Houston, LA, or Chicago? for melting pot diverstiy.
Houston 27 20.00%
Los Angeles 54 40.00%
Chicago 54 40.00%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 PM

179 posts, read 58,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What ethnic group does Houston have, in decent numbers, that Chicago doesnt?

Anyone who knows anything will tell you Chicago is far more diverse than Houston, dont kid yourself.
Moderator cut: personal attack

Houston has the LARGEST nigerian population outside of Africa (100,000)

Something like the 3rd largest Vietnamese popultion. HUGE numbers of Indians.

Over 100 languages are spoken in Houston

More consulates than Chicago or L.A.

chicago has blacks, mexicans, and a bunch of ethnic whites.

Chicago cannot touch Houston on diversity, and especially on integration. Houston is far more integrated- Chicago is an old-school segregated northern industrial town, with each ethnic group living in their own neighborhood. My neighbors are Chinese, Indian, Nigerian, Mexican, European.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-05-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks not permitted per ToS.We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 05:04 PM

19,214 posts, read 50,092,070 times
Moderator cut: quote orphaned

Moderator cut: personal attack Chicago has tons of Vietnamese and Nigerians and mass amounts of Indians. I could give a flip less that Houston has more. Chicago has more Russians, who cares? All Im saying is that in Chicago youll hear more languages spoken, and in larger numbers, than in Houston.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-05-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks not permitted per ToS.We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:04 PM

2,255 posts, read 2,955,229 times
Chicago is not really all that distant from Houston (in terms of diversity.) That's more of a perception (simply because they are very different in many other ways) than reality. Though I do believe that in terms of ethnic diversity LA would be first, Chicago would be second and Houston would be third.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:24 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,361,429 times
Quote:
Thats not really "proof". Sure there are lots of whites in Houston and Chicago, but there is more diversity amongst given races in Chicago than Houston. There are not too many right-off-the-boat whites in Houston like there are in Chicago. You wont find Albanian/Russian/Lithuanian/etc storefronts in Houston, let alone their architectural styles. THATS where the difference is. You wont find entire neighborhoods in Houston speaking in Russian or Polish, like you will in Chicago.

And noone is denying that Houston is diverse. Its quite diverse, just not on the same levels as CHI or L.A. Does this make sense now?
Chicago isn't much more diverse than Houston.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:36 PM

13,383 posts, read 14,430,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Chicago is not really all that distant from Houston (in terms of diversity.) That's more of a perception (simply because they are very different in many other ways) than reality. Though I do believe that in terms of ethnic diversity LA would be first, Chicago would be second and Houston would be third.
That's basically my answer. Yes, Houston does not have a very large diverse european population. But it DOES have a very large diverse Asian, African, and Latin American population. With the larger African and Hispanic population. Houston does indeed have Vietnamese, Nigerian, Salvadoran, Panamian, Ghanian, Ethiopian, English, French, and Columbian enclaves. It's not that far behind Chicago as many people think. I'm not a Houston booster by any means and even I would put Chicago above Houston in terms of ethnic diversity. But it isn't head over heels better than Houston either.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:38 PM

13,383 posts, read 14,430,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
Moderator cut: personal attack

Houston has the LARGEST nigerian population outside of Africa (100,000)

Something like the 3rd largest Vietnamese popultion. HUGE numbers of Indians.

Over 100 languages are spoken in Houston

More consulates than Chicago or L.A.

chicago has blacks, mexicans, and a bunch of ethnic whites.

Chicago cannot touch Houston on diversity, and especially on integration. Houston is far more integrated- Chicago is an old-school segregated northern industrial town, with each ethnic group living in their own neighborhood. My neighbors are Chinese, Indian, Nigerian, Mexican, European.
Moderator cut: orphaned comment ref Chicago DOES indeed touch Houston in diversity. You're talking two different things anyway. Integration and diversity. yes, Chicago is not that integrated compared to Houston. But Chicago is indeed a very diverse city.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-05-2008 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Orphaned quote comments

Old 09-30-2008, 06:19 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,403,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned comment Chicago DOES indeed touch Houston in diversity. You're talking two different things anyway. Integration and diversity. yes, Chicago is not that integrated compared to Houston. But Chicago is indeed a very diverse city.
Yeah, but actually that WAS the OP's question, which cities are diverse AND integrated, not just one or the other. Not that I'm defending silid00d or anything.

It'd be nice if people could post some stats and their sources to back up their claims so this thread doesn't devolve into the silly posturing these my city is better than your city threads always seem to.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-05-2008 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: orphaned quoted comment

Old 09-30-2008, 06:53 PM

100 posts, read 32,015 times
1. Los Angeles
2. Chicago
3. Houston

No Bias, No Bull.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,361,429 times
Diversity:
1.Los Angeles
2.Chicago
3.Houston

Most Intergrated:
1.Houston
2.Los Angeles
3.Chicago

Old 09-30-2008, 08:14 PM

129 posts, read 246,889 times
Quote:
You have big Polish enclaves? Swedish and Norwegian? How about Albanian? Lithuanian? Greek? Russian? Laotian? Irish? Thats what I thought. When I go to Houston I hear English and tons of Spanish, not much else inbetween. When I go to Chicago, its like a trip around the world, sometimes all within a block or two. lol

Houston has good diversity, but not on Chicago or L.A.'s levels.
I dont think you have been around Houston too much...just because we dont have as many Europeans as Chicago doesnt mean we dont have comparable diversity. Houston has people from almost all corners of the world. There is a reason why we have the second highest number of foreign counselates in the country.

Even if Chicago is more diverse, it is only by a slight margin....ive noticed you take every opportunity to knock Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City