U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Houston, LA, or Chicago? for melting pot diverstiy.
Houston 27 19.57%
Los Angeles 56 40.58%
Chicago 55 39.86%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,528 posts, read 5,590,753 times
Reputation: 629

Advertisements

Los Angeles wins, they have too much of everything...in a good way...
Last time I checked...
Houston and Chicago didn't have an offical:
Thai Town
Little Tokyo
Little Armenia
Little Phnom Penh
etc...
All of them are diverse, I just think LA wins...by quite a bit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 PM
 
3,567 posts, read 7,515,438 times
Reputation: 2854
I only see two options: Chicago or Los Angeles. I voted for Chicago.

I live in Los Angeles now but was born and raised in Chicago. The weather is easier in LA, but everything else is just so much harder. I'm already dreading my commute tomorrow

In other words, the two cities in this poll are very different from one another. Culture, lifestyle, everything. In terms of what you get in each city, I'd honestly have to say that against all my expectations and previously held prejudices, Los Angeles does not have as much as Chicago. Chicago sees so much more foot traffic, so stores and nightlife thrive in a way it simply cannot in SoCal.

On the other hand, I can't express my joy at weekend trips to places like San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 09:06 PM
 
Location: San Diego
100 posts, read 116,196 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I only see two options: Chicago or Los Angeles. I voted for Chicago.

I live in Los Angeles now but was born and raised in Chicago. The weather is easier in LA, but everything else is just so much harder. I'm already dreading my commute tomorrow

In other words, the two cities in this poll are very different from one another. Culture, lifestyle, everything. In terms of what you get in each city, I'd honestly have to say that against all my expectations and previously held prejudices, Los Angeles does not have as much as Chicago. Chicago sees so much more foot traffic, so stores and nightlife thrive in a way it simply cannot in SoCal.

On the other hand, I can't express my joy at weekend trips to places like San Diego

did you not read what the OP said it's about which city has the most diversity not what city is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,846 posts, read 12,397,091 times
Reputation: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I only see two options: Chicago or Los Angeles. I voted for Chicago.

I live in Los Angeles now but was born and raised in Chicago. The weather is easier in LA, but everything else is just so much harder. I'm already dreading my commute tomorrow

In other words, the two cities in this poll are very different from one another. Culture, lifestyle, everything. In terms of what you get in each city, I'd honestly have to say that against all my expectations and previously held prejudices, Los Angeles does not have as much as Chicago. Chicago sees so much more foot traffic, so stores and nightlife thrive in a way it simply cannot in SoCal.

On the other hand, I can't express my joy at weekend trips to places like San Diego
because those are the only two cities with large diversity???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 PM
 
3,567 posts, read 7,515,438 times
Reputation: 2854
Diversity's overrated. I've never once said "Gosh, I'm sure going to wander down to my street and enjoy me some diversity!"

What matters more is diversity of availability
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,790,408 times
Reputation: 7243
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Diversity's overrated. I've never once said "Gosh, I'm sure going to wander down to my street and enjoy me some diversity!"

What matters more is diversity of availability
Oh so if Chicago was 95% white and Los Angeles was 99% Hispanic...do you think they'd still be as world class and great as they are today???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 10:13 PM
 
11,604 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Reputation: 8203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Oh so if Chicago was 95% white and Los Angeles was 99% Hispanic...do you think they'd still be as world class and great as they are today???
Absolutely. Hong Kong is 95% Chinese but that doesn't mean it's not a "world class city."

Just because a city is 95% white doesn't mean it's not diverse. Those white people could be English, French, German, Russian, Italian, Greek, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Swedish, Polish, Spanish, Portuguese, and on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,790,408 times
Reputation: 7243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Absolutely. Hong Kong is 95% Chinese but that doesn't mean it's not a "world class city."

Just because a city is 95% white doesn't mean it's not diverse. Those white people could be English, French, German, Russian, Italian, Greek, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Swedish, Polish, Spanish, Portuguese, and on and on.
A city with a population over 2.5 million people with 95% white population, but yet its diverse?? and to add on to that, it's in the United states of America. your not making sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM
 
11,604 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Reputation: 8203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
A city with a population over 2.5 million people with 95% white population, but yet its diverse?? and to add on to that, it's in the United states of America. your not making sense.
You clearly have only one definition of "diverse" and that is skin color. And you write as if English isn't your native language so maybe you're a little more sensitive to this than most people.

But there's more to being diverse than having a different skin color.

And yes, if 95% of the population is white but those white people come from 20 different countries with 20 different languages and cultures, yes I would consider that diverse. Who wouldn't?

But I'm curious. What city in the U.S. has over 2.5 million people and is 95% white??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,790,408 times
Reputation: 7243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You clearly have only one definition of "diverse" and that is skin color. And you write as if English isn't your native language so maybe you're a little more sensitive to this than most people.

But there's more to being diverse than having a different skin color.

And yes, if 95% of the population is white but those white people come from 20 different countries with 20 different languages and cultures, yes I would consider that diverse. Who wouldn't?

But I'm curious. What city in the U.S. has over 2.5 million people and is 95% white??
You said if Chicago was 95% white, it could still be diverse and I didn't know this was english class....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top