U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston, LA, or Chicago? for melting pot diverstiy.
Houston 27 19.57%
Los Angeles 56 40.58%
Chicago 55 39.86%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 AM

2,160 posts, read 3,774,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Sorry, your opinions aren't really that important to me. Throwing a temper tantrum doesn't make you right. Maybe you haven't been in this country long enough to know how things work, but trust me, if a white guy were to say that he doesn't want to be the only white skinned person in a room full of Hispanics or African Americans, he would be run out of town as a racist.
You are absolutely right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,612,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Sorry, your opinions aren't really that important to me. Throwing a temper tantrum doesn't make you right. Maybe you haven't been in this country long enough to know how things work, but trust me, if a white guy were to say that he doesn't want to be the only white skinned person in a room full of Hispanics or African Americans, he would be run out of town as a racist.
Perhaps that was to do with the reputation of the white man as a racist? Blacks and latinos can be racist not only to each other but to whites as well. Given that most whites are not racist, you have to understand that European history has not exactly been very nice to minorities in general. In ancient times, when the white man would show up in another country, murder, conquest and imperialism were knocking right at the front door.

So many countries with people of color are barely making it, while the descendants of their conquerors are living much better than they are. Many great empires fell because of Europeans and their American counterparts. More than likely if a white were to say that, he probably would be called a racist but that is due to the actions of his ancestors despite the fact that some whites have helped blacks throughout time.

But until we can learn to join together as a human race we can never say that we are truly progressing.

Last edited by Black Jack22; 10-02-2008 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-03-2008, 10:38 AM

41 posts, read 72,004 times
Is Chicago really more integrated than LA? According to poll it is. I used to hear different.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 PM

905 posts, read 2,420,790 times
^^^

I think it kind of depends on how you define integration. I was only in LA for a few days, and it felt very segregated to me, more so than Chicago. I think this is because most people in LA drive and there's really no major urban core, so there's no place where people kind of mix together. In Chicago, people of different backgrounds tend to live in different neighborhoods, but you encounter all walks of life on the 'L' and downtown (an aside: I think this is why everyone assumes New York is "integrated." Having lived there, I can tell you that it's a city of ethnic/socioeconomic enclaves, much like Chicago, however, because everyone rides the subway and people are all thrown together in the core of Manhattan - though most people don't live there - it appears integrated. In terms of where people live, NYC is actually quite segregated). In LA, people live in one area with people like them, get in their car, and then drive to another area with people like them. LA is hugely diverse, arguably the most diverse American city, but it's much easier to avoid that diversity than it is in New York or Chicago.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:09 PM

155 posts, read 385,138 times
that is so true nyc and ch-town same ppl even through la is a big city 4. milllion alot back ground race

Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 PM

10,670 posts, read 20,271,506 times
That's a very true point. In Chicago most people live in neighborhoods that are fairly segregated. There isn't the outward hostile racism in Chicago, people just tend to stick with their own kind. Obviously is a hispanic person walked through a black area or an Asian walked through a white neighborhood people wouldn't freak out. Except gangs of course, but that's another story. Your average citizen isn't horribly racist even though on the face of it the city is totally segregated.

I lived in a neighborhood when I moved here that was 70% hispanic and 30% white. Then in a neighborhood that was 70% white and 30% everything else. It's fairly segregated.

The second I walk out the door though and get on the bus or the train, everything changes. The Red Line is like a crazy mix of anyone and everyone. Downtown where I work is full of all the different "people" going out their days. It's much more white than the city as a whole because hundreds of thousands of people commute on trains in from the suburbs, but overall it's very white, black, hispanic. Lots and lots of different languages.

So while the neighborhoods are segregated, people tend to live their lives in this dense city wandering around with a huge mix of people.

My current neighborhood is actually pretty diverse.

White 43%
Black 22%
Hispanic 21%
Asian 14%

The density of my area is around 27,000 per square mile, so you really see the huge variety of people on every street. It's a little crazy sometimes. I very rarely hear anyone over age 50 speaking English. Mostly Serbs, Russians, Polish, Cambodian and Vietnamese people. Then a lot of mutt whites and black people, Nigerians and other immigrant Africans.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
^^^

I think it kind of depends on how you define integration. I was only in LA for a few days, and it felt very segregated to me, more so than Chicago. I think this is because most people in LA drive and there's really no major urban core, so there's no place where people kind of mix together. In Chicago, people of different backgrounds tend to live in different neighborhoods, but you encounter all walks of life on the 'L' and downtown (an aside: I think this is why everyone assumes New York is "integrated." Having lived there, I can tell you that it's a city of ethnic/socioeconomic enclaves, much like Chicago, however, because everyone rides the subway and people are all thrown together in the core of Manhattan - though most people don't live there - it appears integrated. In terms of where people live, NYC is actually quite segregated). In LA, people live in one area with people like them, get in their car, and then drive to another area with people like them. LA is hugely diverse, arguably the most diverse American city, but it's much easier to avoid that diversity than it is in New York or Chicago.
That's what I was trying to figure out. I am mixed myself and want to live around all types of people. I just wanted to see out of these cities, which is the most integrated not just diverse. Seems like there are many more mixed neighborhoods in H-Town.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:05 PM

905 posts, read 2,420,790 times
You may be right. I've never been to Houston, so I couldn't really comment on that.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:06 PM

So Chicago is most diverse and H-Town most integrated?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:22 PM

15,989 posts, read 28,339,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohraa View Post
So Chicago is most diverse and H-Town most integrated?
LA is most diverse, H-town is most intergrated imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City