Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vancouver vs Washington, D.C.
Vancouver 19 45.24%
Washington, D.C. 23 54.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:44 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,564 times

Advertisements

Out of these cities, which has the better:

Public transportation
Restaurants
Shopping
Architecture
Weather
Urbanity
Livability
Arts
Scenery
Museums
Economy
Parks
Skyline
Universities
Nightlife
Better for professional
Diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:03 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Vancouver is one of the only cities I'll make an exception for when it comes to snow.

DC is one of the only cities I'll make an exception for when it comes to humidity.

LOL

Vancouver would be my overall choice as a place to live. Maybe West Vancouver or Richmond.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,059 times
I think I would choose Vancouver over DC anyday. I tried moving to DC last year and everyone had the same expression: MORE PEOPLE DIE IN DC THAN IN THE IRAQ WAR! YOU'RE A WHITE GIRL! YOU CAN'T WALK THE STREETS BY YOURSELF AT NIGHT! YOU'RE ONLY SAFE IN NW DC!

I tell them I'm going to Vancouver for a week, and the only negative thing I hear from the locals is: Watch out for Hastings and Stanley Park. They won't shoot you, but there are panhandlers there. I could walk outside at 3 a.m. and still feel safe . Granted, I'm a black belt, but we're not bulletproof yet.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:19 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I think I would choose Vancouver over DC anyday. I tried moving to DC last year and everyone had the same expression: MORE PEOPLE DIE IN DC THAN IN THE IRAQ WAR! YOU'RE A WHITE GIRL! YOU CAN'T WALK THE STREETS BY YOURSELF AT NIGHT! YOU'RE ONLY SAFE IN NW DC!

I tell them I'm going to Vancouver for a week, and the only negative thing I hear from the locals is: Watch out for Hastings and Stanley Park. They won't shoot you, but there are panhandlers there. I could walk outside at 3 a.m. and still feel safe . Granted, I'm a black belt, but we're not bulletproof yet.
I walk outside alone at 3 AM in North Philly and feel perfectly safe, so I dont see your point...

Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
D.C. since it's bigger (metro wise) and has an impact in world affairs/history (U.S. Federal Government).

If I ever live in Canada, neighboring Calgary would be it with the sunshine, mountain, greenery, and lake views, and temperate weather. The only cons are that it isn't on the Pacific Ocean and the cities are not too populated (metro/city wise), though it's common throughout Canada. To me Vancouver is the Canadian version of Seattle.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:37 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I walk outside alone at 3 AM in North Philly and feel perfectly safe, so I dont see your point...
I don't know. Some of my friends that live in NOVA or who have friends that live in the DC area told me that being a light-skinned woman (Cherokee-Caucasian mix) in DC meant I should only stay in the NW area and try not to walk alone at night. I've been to DC for a week many years ago, but I was rather young and my travel group did not go outside late at night. So, I depended on the advice of the people that lived near the area and basically that's what they told me. Some law enforcement people told me that more people die in DC than in the Iraq War yearly due to gang violence. Granted, as I mentioned they were probably blowing it out of proportion and did not take into account that most were probably gang/drug related and not random yahoos shooting innocent people for fun, but people seemed a lot less worried about me traveling to the other side of the country and hanging out in Vancouver late at night than they did with me traveling to the other side of the state and living in DC.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 PM

19 posts, read 68,747 times
DC because its got balls!

sorry mods...lol

Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 PM

85 posts, read 166,885 times
Vancouver because it's got a sick ass skyline!y

Old 05-13-2009, 08:33 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
I've been to both and they're both really neat, but Vancouver is simply stunning IMO. It's definitely a city I want to live in during my lifetime.

The strange thing for me would be that Vancouver has legal consumption sites for illicit drugs.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 05-13-2009 at 08:45 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times
I do enjoy DC but I don't know if I could handle living there during the summer.
I have never been to Vancouver but would love to visit or live there. Arguably the top city I would want to live in the world right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City