Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston, LA, or Chicago? for melting pot diverstiy.
Houston 27 19.57%
Los Angeles 56 40.58%
Chicago 55 39.86%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 PM

100 posts, read 149,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohraa View Post
Is Chicago really more integrated than LA? According to poll it is. I used to hear different.

Oh shut up!! These Polls are B/S I could make a million accounts right now and change the poll result's to make L.A. on top, but I don't because plenty of people do that for Chicago already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 08:26 PM

41 posts, read 86,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMetropolis View Post
Oh shut up!! These Polls are B/S I could make a million accounts right now and change the poll result's to make L.A. on top, but I don't because plenty of people do that for Chicago already.
Chill. I am asking because this information is pertinent to me. If you have a problem, stop reading the thread. Simple.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:46 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
don't be ignorant yourself. Chicago DOES indeed touch Houston in diversity. You're talking two different things anyway. Integration on and diversity. yes, Chicago is not that integrated compared to Houston. But Chicago is indeed a very diverse city.
But what's the use of "diversity" when every race has to "stay in their place" in order to keep their sanity and have a social life. As far as I'm concerned, diversity isn't the goal for what I want, for I've been in "very diverse" places where prejudice attitudes flourish (and in some cases, the minorities give more fuel to the flame than extinguish it). I'm going to a college that boasts itself in "diversity," but I've never recall a time in my life where I have faced excessive prejudice and racism (covert, of course - these places have to still maintain the "diversity image" somehow)! This compared to the original school that I attended during freshmen year, where even though it wasn't nearly as diverse, it was way more integrated and the racial attitudes were a lot more better - the ultimate factor I always wanted in a place. So Chicago (and for that matter, the entire Northeast and Bos-Wash s**thole) can have its "diversity" in order to make themselves feel better and look more progressive than the South (in their minds, anyway), but I'll gladly (and plan to) flee to the cities and lands where the "integration-mentality" of befriending, mingling, dating, sexing, marrying, raising a family, and growing old with people regardless of race, is the rule and not the exception or taboo!

And I've actually have heard about stories of how major Texas cities are very integrated (particularly Houston and Austin) along with being very "down to earth" and places and where lots of college grads head to. Can anyone verify if this is true, because I'm really contemplating about moving to these two cities after college.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:27 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
But what's the use of "diversity" when every race has to "stay in their place" in order to keep their sanity and have a social life. As far as I'm concerned, diversity isn't the goal for what I want, for I've been in "very diverse" places where prejudice attitudes flourish (and in some cases, the minorities give more fuel to the flame than extinguish it). I'm going to a college that boasts itself in "diversity," but I've never recall a time in my life where I have faced excessive prejudice and racism (covert, of course - these places have to still maintain the "diversity image" somehow)! This compared to the original school that I attended during freshmen year, where even though it wasn't nearly as diverse, it was way more integrated and the racial attitudes were a lot more better - the ultimate factor I always wanted in a place. So Chicago (and for that matter, the entire Northeast and Bos-Wash s**thole) can have its "diversity" in order to make themselves feel better and look more progressive than the South (in their minds, anyway), but I'll gladly (and plan to) flee to the cities and lands where the "integration-mentality" of befriending, mingling, dating, sexing, marrying, raising a family, and growing old with people regardless of race, is the rule and not the exception or taboo!

And I've actually have heard about stories of how major Texas cities are very integrated (particularly Houston and Austin) along with being very "down to earth" and places and where lots of college grads head to. Can anyone verify if this is true, because I'm really contemplating about moving to these two cities after college.
yes, it's true. If you looking for the best opportunity to find a good job I would go with Houston. If you looking for a great place to live with lots of things for a young person to do I would go with Austin.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:42 PM

129 posts, read 368,561 times
Racial issues due exist in Houston but not so much compared to other American cities. I am also currently a university student in Houston...and I can honestly tell you that race is the absolute last thing on my mind. I grew up in Houston and absolutely love the level of integration in the city.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:13 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
Racial issues due exist in Houston but not so much compared to other American cities. I am also currently a university student in Houston...and I can honestly tell you that race is the absolute last thing on my mind. I grew up in Houston and absolutely love the level of integration in the city.
Go Coogs! c/o 2005

Old 10-11-2008, 05:42 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
yes, it's true. If you looking for the best opportunity to find a good job I would go with Houston. If you looking for a great place to live with lots of things for a young person to do I would go with Austin.
There's more to do in Houston and it's much more diverse. IMO, Austin is mostly great for a very narrow demographic while I think Houston has something to offer most everyone. I had a great time in my early to mid-twenties here in Houston. If anything, I'd say Austin is better if you're slightly older and still want to live a more carefree lifestyle. That said, both cities are great, just in different ways.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post

I hear what you are saying and I believe that's the problem in America along with class distinctions. I love Chicago and what it has to offer. But that is my biggest and probably my only beef with the city. It is very segregated and many Chicagoans will tell you this. Blacks live on one side of the tracks and hispanics (basically Mexicans) live on the other. And they tell me it's always been that way. There are majority whatever neighborhoods in Houston just like every city. But in those neighborhoods you will find sizeable other cultures living amongst that majority neighborhood. That is something I think Houston should take advantage of because most cities aren't like that.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 PM

129 posts, read 368,561 times
Houston is great to people of all colors...that is one of the most important reasons why I would not leave Houston....well..maybe only for NYC..hoping they survive these rough times (fingers-crossed).

Old 10-14-2008, 08:14 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
los angeles, houston, then chicago. i've heard that houston and chicago have about equal diversity, but houston is probably the most integrated major city in america. even if chicago is slightly more diverse, it definitely is not more integrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City