Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 67 9.88%
Los Angeles 173 25.52%
Pheonix 24 3.54%
Las Vegas 2 0.29%
Alburqurque 85 12.54%
Dallas 73 10.77%
San Anotonio 97 14.31%
Dallas/Fort Worth 11 1.62%
Houston 58 8.55%
Other 88 12.98%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:22 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,087,691 times

Advertisements

City of Angels...hands down. Alvera Street, taquitos, real frijoles..
Its not Tex-Mex its authentic over the border Mexican Food, with fresh
Salsa. I grew up in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 05:31 PM

35 posts, read 81,662 times
Having lived in Albuquerque, Dallas and Los Angeles, I would rank them as follows:

1. Albuquerque (NEW Mexican)
2. Dallas (really good Tex-Mex)
3. LA (bland)

Old 07-10-2009, 05:44 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,087,691 times
I guess you have to like Tex-Mex.
But yes, if you do, then New Mex and Tex would be ranked high. I however find it different. Not bad just different.
BTW-what is New Mexican??

Old 07-10-2009, 05:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah but you don't call them breakfast burritos unless you're from North Texas. They are called taquito's. Just a heads up.
Oh yeah. That is true. When I lived in Austin sometimes they would call them either one.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:59 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Albuquerque, by a mile.
Los Angeles' Mexican food I hear is laughable, but it does lack some taste...although that statement is exagerated.
DFW (why is it on there twice? Just put DFW) is alright, San Antonio is pretty good...
You missed El Paso, which HAS AWESOME Mexican food, right up there with Albuquerque.
Although no city compares to real Mexican food, and I'm of Mexican descent and make trips to Mexico quite often so If that tell you what I've experienced.
Houston, I've never tried their Mexican food, and even if I had it wouldn't be enough to make a valid conclusion that it's awesome or sucks as I would of eaten there a whopping 5 times? What I've had is pretty good.
The Baja Mexican food, if respectively different from the rest of Mexico. The Northern food is also different then the Southern food.
So I mean its hard to compare, basically two different cusines.
I haven't tried San Diego Mexican either, but I have eaten Baja. If its anything like I had in Mexico it's alright...
Las Vegas...really? How could you miss El Paso?? Pheonix is not too bad, but If i HAD to rank them.
on the baisis that I rank the ones I know... here is what it would be
1)Albuquerque
2)El Paso
3)all the other Texas bordertowns... do they have it good...
4)San Antonio
5)Dallas Fort Worth (tie)
5)Houston (tie)
6)Pheonix
7)Los Angeles
8)Las Vegas

Can't Rank San Diego.
How can someone actually believe that Los Angeles would have "laughable" Mexican food? It has the largest Mexican community of any city outside of Mexico...sooo what happened then? L.A. only receives Mexicans who can't cook? Talk about laughable.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:01 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
It's definitely a matter of taste. Remember that Mexico's a big place too, with different styles. I happen to have grown up really liking Tex-Mex style but I now find it generally too heavy these days for my palate, cheese and beef heavy. It does have a cattle-ranching influence.

I was surprised, actually, to learn that fish tacos are traditionally filled with fried fish. I always thought it was grilled, which is what I choose at places like Wahoo's. Maybe it's an age thing. I don't have a weight problem. Also, it's funny because a standard (joking) Mexican complaint is, Why do Americans always make their food so spicy?

Old 07-10-2009, 07:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
It's definitely a matter of taste. Remember that Mexico's a big place too, with different styles. I happen to have grown up really liking Tex-Mex style but I now find it generally too heavy these days for my palate, cheese and beef heavy. It does have a cattle-ranching influence.

I was surprised, actually, to learn that fish tacos are traditionally filled with fried fish. I always thought it was grilled, which is what I choose at places like Wahoo's. Maybe it's an age thing. I don't have a weight problem. Also, it's funny because a standard (joking) Mexican complaint is, Why do Americans always make their food so spicy?
Is that joke sarcastically speaking?

Old 07-10-2009, 07:53 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Is that joke sarcastically speaking?
A casually joking observation that may have run its course, as Mexican cuisine has come to be taken more seriously. Sort of like how Italian food used to be characterized as overwhelmingly "garlicky". Of course, there's no fear of heat in Mexican dishes--I love heat too--but not everything has to be painful. And it seemed like there was kind of a posturing about spice that was very indulgent and had nothing to do with flavor.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah but you don't call them breakfast burritos unless you're from North Texas. They are called taquito's. Just a heads up.

you call breakfast burritos taquitos?

breakfast burritos are breakfast burritos and taquitas are tightly rolled tortillas with meat in side fried, some call em rolled tacos too or taqui'TOS

Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
you call breakfast burritos taquitos?

breakfast burritos are breakfast burritos and taquitas are tightly rolled tortillas with meat in side fried, some call em rolled tacos too or taqui'TOS
No, we don't call them that... Spade was probably pulling someone's leg.

We call them breakfast tacos, even if they are rolled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City