U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 46 8.27%
Los Angeles 133 23.92%
Pheonix 19 3.42%
Las Vegas 1 0.18%
Alburqurque 71 12.77%
Dallas 69 12.41%
San Anotonio 83 14.93%
Dallas/Fort Worth 10 1.80%
Houston 45 8.09%
Other 79 14.21%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2013, 11:34 PM
 
588 posts, read 683,863 times
Reputation: 255

Advertisements

Out of the cities on the list I've had Mexican food in LA, SD, Las Vegas, and Alburqurque.

Out of that list I'd say that LA takes the cake. Sure, there are many mediocre Mexican restaurants but there are so many options that its not hard finding an excellent place for great Mexican.

Alburqurque didn't impress me too much. Perhaps I am ignorant, but I didn't consider much of the Mexican I had in Alburqurque to be as authentic as you'd get in most places in California. It seemed that they had a tendency to just drench everything in chilis. "Green or red" was a common question during my week in Alburqurque. Now those were some awesome sauces, but it largely masks the other important flavors.

SD is overrated to me also. I can't say I've ever had great Mexican there.

My favorite city for Mexican is actually one that didn't make the list- Oakland! There are some amazing spots in Fruitvale and the best taco trucks I've ever tried have been in Oakland around International BLVD.

However, my faorite taqueria, no questions asked, is El Farolito on Mission Street in San Francisco.

El Farolito - Mission - San Francisco, CA

2,500 Yelp reviews and an average of 4.5 stars, and I think its well deserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2013, 08:57 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,562,047 times
Reputation: 5662
El Farolito is my favorite "big burrito" place I've ever had, I wouldn't say best Mexican all around at all though, not even close. It's kind of on the cheap no frills side. It's still more of a "cali mex" style (rice/whole pintos).. like their sauces though.

When I'm thinking great mexican I'm thinking a sit down meal... specialized ceviche with tiger prawns, a whole fried red snapper with extras, a whole roasted suckling pit roasted carnitas pig, a rack of lamb with oaxacan mole, chileatole, a great gourmet with roasted poblano cemita etc. I.E. similar food you'd expect for a good dinner at a nice restaurant in Mexico. Not "street food" and definitely not "tex mex"

^ Fruitvale market is definitely the real deal.

Last edited by grapico; 09-21-2013 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 AM
 
399 posts, read 771,242 times
Reputation: 254
Went there last year. Its definitely worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2013, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
1,385 posts, read 1,690,417 times
Reputation: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post

Alburqurque didn't impress me too much. Perhaps I am ignorant, but I didn't consider much of the Mexican I had in Alburqurque to be as authentic as you'd get in most places in California. It seemed that they had a tendency to just drench everything in chilis. "Green or red" was a common question during my week in Alburqurque. Now those were some awesome sauces, but it largely masks the other important flavors.
As has been mentioned in this thread, most of what others consider Mexican food in Albuquerque is actually New Mexican. These are dishes that in many cases evolved from traditional Mexican, Native and Spanish foods and ways of cooking. Some are also entirely native to the state.

The reason you were asked "Red or green?" so much is because chile, whether red or green, is the most basic and important ingredient in most every New Mexican dish. Chile isn't used as just one ingredient in these dishes, instead it is often the main ingredient around which the dish is formed.

I also don't know of too many dishes that are "drenched" in chile in New Mexican cuisine. That implies pouring chile sauce all over an otherwise complete dish. The only example that comes quickly to my mind of where this is done is burritos. In most every other dish the chile is an integral part of the preparation.

So, if you don't like chile then New Mexican food just isn't for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2013, 10:41 AM
 
588 posts, read 683,863 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
As has been mentioned in this thread, most of what others consider Mexican food in Albuquerque is actually New Mexican. These are dishes that in many cases evolved from traditional Mexican, Native and Spanish foods and ways of cooking. Some are also entirely native to the state.

The reason you were asked "Red or green?" so much is because chile, whether red or green, is the most basic and important ingredient in most every New Mexican dish. Chile isn't used as just one ingredient in these dishes, instead it is often the main ingredient around which the dish is formed.

I also don't know of too many dishes that are "drenched" in chile in New Mexican cuisine. That implies pouring chile sauce all over an otherwise complete dish. The only example that comes quickly to my mind of where this is done is burritos. In most every other dish the chile is an integral part of the preparation.

So, if you don't like chile then New Mexican food just isn't for you.
Its just not what I associate with "Mexican" food. Nothing wrong with it- in fact the best chili sauces I've ever had were in NM. Its unique and tasty, just not my cup of tea(I know it sounds like I am contradicting myself)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2013, 10:44 AM
 
588 posts, read 683,863 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
El Farolito is my favorite "big burrito" place I've ever had, I wouldn't say best Mexican all around at all though, not even close. It's kind of on the cheap no frills side. It's still more of a "cali mex" style (rice/whole pintos).. like their sauces though.

When I'm thinking great mexican I'm thinking a sit down meal... specialized ceviche with tiger prawns, a whole fried red snapper with extras, a whole roasted suckling pit roasted carnitas pig, a rack of lamb with oaxacan mole, chileatole, a great gourmet with roasted poblano cemita etc. I.E. similar food you'd expect for a good dinner at a nice restaurant in Mexico. Not "street food" and definitely not "tex mex"

^ Fruitvale market is definitely the real deal.
Oh its definitely not the best Mexican around- but for a taqueria, I'm yet to have better. I actually don't even consider a burrito to be Mexican given that it was invented in SF(supposedly). But their "super quesadilla" is mind blowingly delicious! I mentioned it because most Mexican joints in California are these kind of no frills taquerias. Of course the best Mexican can be found at restaurants similar to what you mention, they are just more rare. I don't really consider Tex Mex to be Mexican food either. I can't say I'm a fan of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2013, 11:31 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,562,047 times
Reputation: 5662
I was also going to mention the carne asada super quesadilla "Suiza", also the best of that style I've had. I ate El Farolito probably 40-50 times the few years I lived out there, actually probably the only place I've ever frequented that much, anywhere. I used to get a scoop a bunch of the salsa verdes and keep them at home.

Last edited by grapico; 09-22-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2013, 10:12 PM
 
588 posts, read 683,863 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I was also going to mention the carne asada super quesadilla "Suiza", also the best of that style I've had. I ate El Farolito probably 40-50 times the few years I lived out there, actually probably the only place I've ever frequented that much, anywhere. I used to get a scoop a bunch of the salsa verdes and keep them at home.
Ah, so you're one of those people I see with like 10 plastic ramekins of salsa every time I go there lool! The salsa verde is their best! Yes, sometimes I go for their carne asada and sometimes the cabeza. I remember giggling from joy the first time I had their super quesadilla suiza. Must have looked strange, but I felt like I died and went to heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2013, 03:06 PM
 
1 posts, read 990 times
Reputation: 10
Albuquerque has the worst "Mexican" food I've ever eaten. I've tried eating at tons of different "authentic" Mexican food places there & the only one that was alright was Sadie's.
El Paso, all the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2013, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
1,576 posts, read 2,536,238 times
Reputation: 1119
I'll go with Los Angeles. I was dissapointed in how tame the Mexican food was in San Antonio compared to what I'm used to Los Angeles. Not only does LA has good Americanized Mexican food. But I can also get some Authentic regional Mexican Food over here. I love Oaxacan food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top