U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 46 8.27%
Los Angeles 133 23.92%
Pheonix 19 3.42%
Las Vegas 1 0.18%
Alburqurque 71 12.77%
Dallas 69 12.41%
San Anotonio 83 14.93%
Dallas/Fort Worth 10 1.80%
Houston 45 8.09%
Other 79 14.21%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,465,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Texas cities combined are winning over any other state's cities combined. I'm just sayin'!
You have to keep in mind that San Francisco isn't on the list. It could very well represent the 54 votes for "Other".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 11:32 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,737,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You have to keep in mind that San Francisco isn't on the list. It could very well represent the 54 votes for "Other".
I would have voted San Fran. I'm astounded that LA is leading this poll, but it's probably because people just vote for it because "there are a lot of Mexicans there and it's near Mexico" and don't have any actual experience with Mexican food around the country.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:57 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,614,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
I would have voted San Fran. I'm astounded that LA is leading this poll, but it's probably because people just vote for it because "there are a lot of Mexicans there and it's near Mexico" and don't have any actual experience with Mexican food around the country.
Los Angeles does have a great varitey of Mexican food though--both regional Mexican styles, taquerias, and more modern updates on it. You won't find neighborhoods full of strictly Oaxacan restaurants in a lot of other US cities(though this is changing too). I dunno, I grew up near San Francisco on the edge of the Bay Area, lived there for a year at one point, and I can't remember havingit that exceptional of Mexican food there that was better than anywhere else in California. You can find good Mexican food all over the place in California--and depending on the Mexican population you can get a variety of different options. The best Mexican food we had growing up was in little Watsonville--which is a farmtown which is like 70 percent Mexican.

Restaurants come and go so quickly though and new ones open so fast in US cities, that polls like this are usually just people going on their own favorites and then basing the rest on stereotypes--since I doubt few people have tried a lot of different Mexican restaurants in every single city listed. Where I live had little good Mexican 10 years ago, now with a growing Mexican population and a taste for more interesting regional Mexican food(we have a really great place from a cook from Guerrero that makes really good moles)--though it wouldn't rank even in the top 15 cities in the US most likely. Mexican food is more reliable across the entire Western US(and much of the US) today, because there's so many Mexican immigrants everywhere. At the minimum, I can at least find a place to get good carnitas, birria, and tacos al pastor in even little country farm towns in the Pacific Northwest...

Last edited by Deezus; 04-28-2014 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 12:01 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,484,141 times
Quote:
Then again, you also claimed you can't find good burgers in LA either.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:07 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,737,758 times
No, I "claimed" that the burgers there were more expensive and not as good as the ones I'm used to here. But nice try!

Old 04-28-2014, 12:30 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,601,286 times
RE: Watsonville - It is pretty hit or miss in my experience.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,484,141 times
Quote:
No, I "claimed" that the burgers there were more expensive and not as good as the ones I'm used to here. But nice try!
Fair enough. "You get better burgers in Milwaukee than you do anywhere in California, and at half the price." If a city with a population of 600k can deliver a better rendering of the signature American dish than any place in the largest state in the country, then I guess itís plausible Mexican food can be better in the Bay than in Los Angeles.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:46 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,379,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Fair enough. "You get better burgers in Milwaukee than you do anywhere in California, and at half the price." If a city with a population of 600k can deliver a better rendering of the signature American dish than any place in the largest state in the country, then I guess itís plausible Mexican food can be better in the Bay than in Los Angeles.

East Oakland can easily compete with anywhere in LA on Mexican food. Redwood City and San Jose are also good; SF is noticeably not as consistent as any of the above but has some great individual taquerias and restaurants. O/A though East Oakland in my experience has the best selection of taco trucks and taquerias in the Bay while RWC has a slight edge on sit-down Mexican restaurants.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:09 PM

15,466 posts, read 25,413,703 times
While the "best" Mexican food in either the SF Bay Area or Southern Ca (LA and SD) are fairly equal in how good it is, I feel like it's not as widespread in the Bay Area. Seems like the best or good Mexican food is found primarily in ethnic enclaves/areas with high percentage of Latino's. While in Southern CA good Mexican food is easier to find in areas w/o a high population of Latinos. I live in Central Contra Costa County and outside the Monument Blvd corridor in Concord, I really find the whole area lacking for the most part. And some of these places people rave about (La Pintata, Los Ponchos, etc..) are awful to mediocre at best. Just seems like its easier to come across good Mexican food in LA and SD than the Bay Area in my experience.

Last edited by sav858; 04-28-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 01:18 PM

8,002 posts, read 16,059,074 times
Not trying to pick a fight here, but what are the best Mexican places in SF? I'm there quite frequently (I'll be there Friday-Tuesday) and while I've had some really good Mexican food there, it doesn't compare to what I had in Tucson (another that's not on the list)- a city I didn't get to explore all that much. Maybe I just didn't check the right places. I'd love a suggestion or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or