U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 46 8.29%
Los Angeles 132 23.78%
Pheonix 19 3.42%
Las Vegas 1 0.18%
Alburqurque 71 12.79%
Dallas 69 12.43%
San Anotonio 83 14.95%
Dallas/Fort Worth 10 1.80%
Houston 45 8.11%
Other 79 14.23%
Voters: 555. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:36 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,319,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
I would have voted San Fran. I'm astounded that LA is leading this poll, but it's probably because people just vote for it because "there are a lot of Mexicans there and it's near Mexico" and don't have any actual experience with Mexican food around the country.
Such a minor detail.

It's pretty insane that LA only has 21% of the vote considering the quantity, quality, and sheer variety of regional styles are unmatched in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:37 PM

437 posts, read 468,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Then again, you also claimed you can't find good burgers in LA either.
Dude why are you arguing with someone from Wisconsin, you actually think this person knows anything about good Mexican food

Old 04-28-2014, 01:38 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,116,748 times
Cities don't make food: people do. If you take a good chef from a city and stick them in the middle of nowhere, they'll still be great chefs.

I'd rather see restaurant vs. restaurant comparisons by city.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
While the "best" Mexican food in either the SF Bay Area or Southern Ca (LA and SD) are fairly equal in how good it is, I feel like it's not as widespread in the Bay Area. Seems like the best or good Mexican food is found primarily in ethnic enclaves/areas with high percentage of Latino's. While in Southern CA good Mexican food is easier to find in areas w/o a high population of Latinos. I live in Central Contra Costa County and outside the Monument Blvd corridor in Concord, I really find the whole area lacking for the most part. And some of these places people rave about (La Pintata, Los Ponchos, etc..) are awful to mediocre at best. Just seems like its easier to come across good Mexican food in LA and SD than the Bay Area in my experience.
That's exactly it, LA is very consistent with good Mexican food, and what people rave about in other places would be considered mediocre in LA.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Cities don't make food: people do. If you take a good chef from a city and stick them in the middle of nowhere, they'll still be great chefs.

I'd rather see restaurant vs. restaurant comparisons by city.
You're right but you also seem to forget how competition weeds out the weak.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,116,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
You're right but you also seem to forget how competition weeds out the weak.
I don't know about that. If supply always exceeds demand, then it stands to reason that crappy restaurants of a type can still survive if there is demand for it. Not to mention that most people generally don't eat at every single restaurant in a city.

Hell, some crappy food places survive simply based on "ambience" and "cost" alone. Just ask chain places like Denny and how they survive with what they consider "food".

But this gets in the way of city boosting, so have it guys.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:10 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
The four border states and Nevada (California, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico) [Edge to California, considering Los Angeles alone has the world's second largest Mexican population, thus the foundations are in place].

Colorado / Illinois

Washington / Oregon / Utah
New York

After this point, the Mexican food can be had and can be great (as is the case with everything) but the quantity of elite Mexican food is probably minimal in the other states (my guess, don't actually know), I wouldn't even bother feeding that trash to my dog, let alone eat it myself. Have had "Mexican" food in Florida, Missouri, Louisiana, and Massachusetts from places with top Yelp/Urban Spoon/Internet reviews and I would describe it as utter trash.

I haven't been to all 50 states, only been to 38, but I'll be severely surprised if somewhere else is topping those states listed above.

For what it's worth, Mexican cuisine is amongst my favorite foods, so I'm a bit harsh on reviews.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 04-28-2014 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 07:10 PM

6,920 posts, read 11,881,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Not trying to pick a fight here, but what are the best Mexican places in SF? I'm there quite frequently (I'll be there Friday-Tuesday) and while I've had some really good Mexican food there, it doesn't compare to what I had in Tucson (another that's not on the list)- a city I didn't get to explore all that much. Maybe I just didn't check the right places. I'd love a suggestion or two.

If by SF you mean the Bay Area then take your pick pretty much anywhere in Fruitvale or really just about anywhere on International Blvd. For some great tacos I recommend Taqueria 16 de Septiembre on 34th/International and La Torta Loca across the street for some great tortas, Mariscos La Costa on 37th/International has great seafood (along with pretty much everything else). If you're into taco trucks there's a lot of good ones to pick from, I recommend Taqueria Sinaloa on Fruitvale/E 12th. These are all a stone's throw outside of the Fruitvale BART station.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:33 PM
BMI

6,512 posts, read 3,785,914 times
ABQ for the win Alex

Albuquerque
Las Cruces
El Paso

Old 04-29-2014, 06:06 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,167,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
Dude why are you arguing with someone from Wisconsin, you actually think this person knows anything about good Mexican food
Wisconsin has some 360,000 Hispanics, the vast majority being Mexican. And some 18% of Milwaukee is Hispanic. I've had great Mexican food even in small cities in Wisconsin. People out West don't realize that Mexicans are everywhere and you can find regional Mexican specialities even in small Midwestern towns. Even little old Iowa saw its Hispanic population boom in the last census over 80% to 150,000 plus.

Now 300,000 is not the same size as Chicago and LA, but trust me, 300,000 Mexicans in Wisconsin hailing from all over that country are more than capable of making Mexican food every bit as good as can Mexicans in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or