U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 46 8.27%
Los Angeles 133 23.92%
Pheonix 19 3.42%
Las Vegas 1 0.18%
Alburqurque 71 12.77%
Dallas 69 12.41%
San Anotonio 83 14.93%
Dallas/Fort Worth 10 1.80%
Houston 45 8.09%
Other 79 14.21%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 AM

2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Tucson, AZ has the best Mexican food I have ever eaten.
Agreed. South Tucson alone beats any big city I've ever eaten Mexican food in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 01:21 AM

14,798 posts, read 19,006,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
The Mexican population throughout the Midwest has exploded in the last few decades. I think most would be shocked by the availability of decent Mexican food even in small Midwest towns these days. The agricultural and industrial economy of the region seems well suited to Mexicans.

Here's an article about Iowa's rapidly growing Hispanic population.

Iowa's hispanic population booms
I've actually had really good tacos in a relatively small college city in Iowa. I've had Mexican food in LA, Chicago, San Diego, Tucson, etc and this place would hold its own to a lot of places in any of those cities. I was surprised. Very authentic. There's also a few that have popped up where my parents live in Minnesota which are decent - may not compare as favorably to the ones I just talked about, but it would be considered "decent" if it were in LA. Far from bad, and actually pretty damn authentic.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:56 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,122,861 times
I've only had Mexican in California, and Los Angeles serves the best, IMO.

I went to New York and ordered Mexican one day... That was a mistake. That's the last time I'll eat Mexican food outside of the Western states.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 AM

588 posts, read 683,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I've only had Mexican in California, and Los Angeles serves the best, IMO.

I went to New York and ordered Mexican one day... That was a mistake. That's the last time I'll eat Mexican food outside of the Western states.
Supposedly you can find some decent Mexican in New York. Having been several times and trying at least 8 Mexican restaurants(though all in Manhattan and Brooklyn) I'm yet to find it. I've had a similar experience in Boston, Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit, Windsor(Canada) and Toronto.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:10 AM

588 posts, read 683,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This thread reminded me of this list I just saw of the 50 best tacos in America. Mmmmm:

50 Best Tacos in America (Slideshow) | Slideshow | The Daily Meal
Although I was happy to see a San Francisco institution ranked #1, I don't feel it's deserved. There are several taquerias in the Bay Area more authentic, and tasty, than La Taqueria. Some of those tacos seem pretty legit, but some seem awful. "Puffy tacos?" Please...

Old 07-21-2014, 10:15 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,292,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Then again, you also claimed you can't find good burgers in LA either.
He seriously said that? This has got to be one of the best burger cities in the nation. Umami? Father's Office? Golden State? I feel like I've OD'ed on top shelf burgers since moving here.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,292,507 times
Ok thread, here's a sub-question:

If you had to pick one restaurant in your city that represents the best Mexican food your city has to offer, what would it be?

For LA, I'd have to go with Guisados:

Guisados - Boyle Heights - Los Angeles, CA | Yelp

They are about to open a new downtown location within waking distance of my place and I seriously feel like its Christmas.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
I think it's safe to say that most people prefer whatever type they've been accustomed to for most of their life. I grew up eating Texas style, and I've simply found most Mexican food outside of there to be not quite as flavorful and rich, which is what I prefer. I'm not sure I've even seen fatty barbacoa outside of Texas. The only thing that seems to be consistently good is the tortillas.

Oh and I'm pretty sure most have no real idea what great Tex Mex is. If you haven't eaten in San Antonio, chances are you've never experienced it.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:05 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Oh and I'm pretty sure most have no real idea what great Tex Mex is. If you haven't eaten in San Antonio, chances are you've never experienced it.
Yep. Most people who have never really spent much time in TX are quick to dismiss Tex-Mex, because let's face it... most 'Tex-Mex' restaurants (on a statewide level) are 10th rate procurers of formulaic, greasy crap... barely a few notches above Taco Bell. Try eating at the original La Fonda or Mi Tierra in San Antonio, or the original Ninfa's on Navigation in Houston, and then tell us about Tex-Mex. San Antonio especially has a higher standard of Tex-Mex than other cities in the state.

There is also this misperception that you can only get Tex-Mex style in Texas, which is a joke. In Houston and Austin alone, and I would also imagine Dallas... there are many restaurants specializing in authentic regional Mexican food representing pretty much every region of Mexico. Maybe if this was still the 60's or 70's then that argument would be valid.

I've eaten Mexican food in all the border states, and honestly it's all been pretty good, for the most part, though the differences from state to state can be pretty big. My personal favorite is the Sonoran style I had in South Tucson.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,893,804 times
LA is home to several places that make a hell of a "California Style" burrito -- french fries, guacamole, steak, hot sauce, cheese, all inside of it. I want to say Burrito King in Echo Park does a good job of making these. Also Taco Ariza (a truck) down the street from Burrito King does an amazing job of making a standard burrito as well.

San Francisco & San Diego also have amazing mexican food. In NJ I used to go to this place called Casa Maya in Meyersville which is probably the only excellent mexican place in the tri state area.

One time I had a burrito in Hoboken, NJ. My system was off for several days after that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or