U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 46 8.27%
Los Angeles 133 23.92%
Pheonix 19 3.42%
Las Vegas 1 0.18%
Alburqurque 71 12.77%
Dallas 69 12.41%
San Anotonio 83 14.93%
Dallas/Fort Worth 10 1.80%
Houston 45 8.09%
Other 79 14.21%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I've only had Mexican in California, and Los Angeles serves the best, IMO.

I went to New York and ordered Mexican one day... That was a mistake. That's the last time I'll eat Mexican food outside of the Western states.
You can actually find very good mexican on the East coast its just not as common and not as consistent. I am lucky enough to live just a few blocks from a large Mexican enclave which has very good Mexican.

To me this is sort of like the Italian dynamic on the west coast. There is good even great Italian on the west coast yet its not in general as consistent nor easily available as I find it on the east coast.

Mexican has gotten way better here (east coast) over the last 20 years (as has Asian)

All areas have their pluses and minuses. I do love good mexican and have a great taqueria truck now to blocks away at least 5 days a week. a plus to me

Also high end mexican has really improved on the east coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 06:17 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,293,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yep. Most people who have never really spent much time in TX are quick to dismiss Tex-Mex, because let's face it... most 'Tex-Mex' restaurants (on a statewide level) are 10th rate procurers of formulaic, greasy crap... barely a few notches above Taco Bell. Try eating at the original La Fonda or Mi Tierra in San Antonio, or the original Ninfa's on Navigation in Houston, and then tell us about Tex-Mex. San Antonio especially has a higher standard of Tex-Mex than other cities in the state.

There is also this misperception that you can only get Tex-Mex style in Texas, which is a joke. In Houston and Austin alone, and I would also imagine Dallas... there are many restaurants specializing in authentic regional Mexican food representing pretty much every region of Mexico. Maybe if this was still the 60's or 70's then that argument would be valid.

I've eaten Mexican food in all the border states, and honestly it's all been pretty good, for the most part, though the differences from state to state can be pretty big. My personal favorite is the Sonoran style I had in South Tucson.
Never been to authentic tex-mex in Texas, but we have a joint here that's pretty solid:

BAR Ama - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA | Yelp

Not sure how authentic it is, but its damn good. Josef Centeno can cook his ass off.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:03 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,752,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Never been to authentic tex-mex in Texas, but we have a joint here that's pretty solid:

BAR Ama - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA | Yelp

Not sure how authentic it is, but its damn good. Josef Centeno can cook his ass off.
One thing I neglected to mention was that Los Angeles is right up there with San Antonio and Tucson. Some of the best Mexican food I've ever eaten was in the working class neighborhoods in Northeast L.A. (Highland Park, Garvanza). Old multi-generational family-owned restaurants that really blew my mind. Also, L.A. Offers regional styles from all over Mexico, in abundance.

I will definitely check out BAR Ama, on your recommendation, next time I'm down there. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 PM

588 posts, read 684,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
The Mexican population throughout the Midwest has exploded in the last few decades. I think most would be shocked by the availability of decent Mexican food even in small Midwest towns these days. The agricultural and industrial economy of the region seems well suited to Mexicans.

Here's an article about Iowa's rapidly growing Hispanic population.

Iowa's hispanic population booms
I'm sure it exists, but it's definitely not wide spread. Having eaten Mexican in in Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Ontario(Canada- Windsor and Toronto), New York and Boston- I haven't been remotely impressed once. All would be considered bad compared to even the most basic of California taquerias. However, that doesn't mean that there isn't good Mexican food to be found in these places. I am just yet to find them- as are many.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:21 PM

12,684 posts, read 10,510,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You can actually find very good mexican on the East coast its just not as common and not as consistent. I am lucky enough to live just a few blocks from a large Mexican enclave which has very good Mexican.

To me this is sort of like the Italian dynamic on the west coast. There is good even great Italian on the west coast yet its not in general as consistent nor easily available as I find it on the east coast.

Mexican has gotten way better here (east coast) over the last 20 years (as has Asian)

All areas have their pluses and minuses. I do love good mexican and have a great taqueria truck now to blocks away at least 5 days a week. a plus to me

Also high end mexican has really improved on the east coast
Totally agree.

I just got back from Dallas yesterday, where I had great Mexican, or Tex-Mex, whatever (best quesadillas I ever had in Dallas - then again I'm not huge on Mexican so I don't eat them a lot at all). Surprisingly, I had decent Italian food considering I expected it to be kind of awful. Nothing like here in NJ, but not bad. I was pleasantly surprised.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:25 PM

22,143 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Los Angeles, easily.

NYC has a few places with great Mexican food, but you generally have to go a-ways to get it.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:44 PM

157 posts, read 228,905 times
San Antonio definitely in the top 5 or even number 1...
Los Angeles is more for Asian food.... Yea there's good Mexican food but usually from the same region near Tijuana areas and Northwestern Mexican.. while here in Texas there's more variety and more of Mexican food from a variety of regions.. Lone Star State has the best Mexican food and Barbecue.. no question.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie.e View Post
San Antonio definitely in the top 5 or even number 1...
Los Angeles is more for Asian food.... Yea there's good Mexican food but usually from the same region near Tijuana areas and Northwestern Mexican.. while here in Texas there's more variety and more of Mexican food from a variety of regions.. Lone Star State has the best Mexican food and Barbecue.. no question.
You're right that LA has great Asian food, but its absolutely untrue that we don't have Mexican restaurants with food from a variety of regions:

Where To Eat Regional Mexican Food in L.A. | Jonathan Gold

Quote:
Southern California is a legitimate region of historical Mexico -- but happens not to be. As anyone knows who has tried the Oaxacan moles at Guelaguetza, the poblano stews at Elvirita's, the Veracruz chilpachole at Boca del Rio, the Sinaloan pescado Zarandeado at Mariscos Chente in Inglewood, the Zacatecas birria at Flor del Rio, the D.F.-style carnitas at Metro Balderas, the Yucatecan pan de cazon at Chichen Itza, the Guerrero-style lamb barbacoa at Bodega del Oro, the Baja fish tacos at Ricky's or Tacos Bahia Ensenada, the crunchy tacos de camaron at Mariscos Jalisco or the aguachile at Mariscos Nayarit, among many, many other places, Los Angeles is a center of regional Mexican cooking.
In case you don't know who Jonathan Gold is, he's a pulitzer prize-winning food critic.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:37 PM

2,231 posts, read 1,690,643 times
Ummm...why do you have both Dallas AND Dallas/Fort Worth as poll options?

Old 07-25-2014, 10:53 PM

This is how we do in LA: Traffic on the 5 freeway was at a standstill today because some idiot climbed up one of the freeway signs. So some enterprizing taco vendor stuck in the traffic jam set up shop and started making tacos in the middle of the freeway. I love this city

Reddit /r/losangeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or