U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 46 8.27%
Los Angeles 133 23.92%
Pheonix 19 3.42%
Las Vegas 1 0.18%
Alburqurque 71 12.77%
Dallas 69 12.41%
San Anotonio 83 14.93%
Dallas/Fort Worth 10 1.80%
Houston 45 8.09%
Other 79 14.21%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 06:03 PM

1,078 posts, read 957,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
I would truly enjoy watching you eat some hot green chili without breaking a sweat, truly enjoy watching you suffer that is. Until then...
LOL great comeback gringo, stick to Italian or polish food whatever you're comfort food is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 06:18 PM

696 posts, read 876,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
LOL great comeback gringo, stick to Italian or polish food whatever you're comfort food is.
Coming from the Mr.Gringo himself. The one who thinks Tex Mex and New Mex are the same thing based on Google search results. Lol!

Once you and others gain some real life experience eating Mexican food we will have a real discussion til then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SsCP-dd6Gs

Old 06-03-2015, 07:12 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,676,914 times
After reading the recent posts and while on Yelp I came across a few of the more purely Mexican restaurants in town. I thought I'd share the photo spreads of these restaurants for those who think Albuquerque doesn't have that kind of food. Albuquerque has lots of recent Mexican immigrants and places like these are easy to find. Taco trucks exist here, too. And the push cart guys selling elotes and such exist here as well. It's not just New Mexican food here, but that is what truly sets us apart from places like Los Angeles or Chicago, which is why we focus on it.

Photos for El Paisa | Yelp

Photos for Taqueria Mexico | Yelp

Photos for Tacos Mex Y Mariscos | Yelp

Photos for The Last Call | Yelp

Photos for Los Equipales | Yelp

Of these five I've ate at El Paisa and Taqueria Mexico before.

I'll reiterate that I don't think most Mexican food is as spicy hot as most New Mexican food. Guajilla, pasilla, ancho and poblano chiles are more sweet than hot. Some jalapeno, serrano, huerito and arbol chiles are pretty hot, though.

I will say that chile pequin is crazy hot. My mom makes a salsa which is just garlic, onions and chile pequin and God that makes me cry and I get the hiccups trying to eat it even just lightly dipping it with chips or with a little on top of a fried egg.

A really extra hot New Mexico green chile and habaneros are the only other chiles I've ate that evoke a similar reaction with the eyes watering. The hiccups can occur even with the "hot" Pace Picante variation, but the eyes watering occurs just with those three chiles.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
After reading the recent posts and while on Yelp I came across a few of the more purely Mexican restaurants in town. I thought I'd share the photo spreads of these restaurants for those who think Albuquerque doesn't have that kind of food. Albuquerque has lots of recent Mexican immigrants and places like these are easy to find. Taco trucks exist here, too. And the push cart guys selling elotes and such exist here as well. It's not just New Mexican food here, but that is what truly sets us apart from places like Los Angeles or Chicago, which is why we focus on it.

Photos for El Paisa | Yelp

Photos for Taqueria Mexico | Yelp

Photos for Tacos Mex Y Mariscos | Yelp

Photos for The Last Call | Yelp

Photos for Los Equipales | Yelp

Of these five I've ate at El Paisa and Taqueria Mexico before.

I'll reiterate that I don't think most Mexican food is as spicy hot as most New Mexican food. Guajilla, pasilla, ancho and poblano chiles are more sweet than hot. Some jalapeno, serrano, huerito and arbol chiles are pretty hot, though.

I will say that chile pequin is crazy hot. My mom makes a salsa which is just garlic, onions and chile pequin and God that makes me cry and I get the hiccups trying to eat it even just lightly dipping it with chips or with a little on top of a fried egg.

A really extra hot New Mexico green chile and habaneros are the only other chiles I've ate that evoke a similar reaction with the eyes watering. The hiccups can occur even with the "hot" Pace Picante variation, but the eyes watering occurs just with those three chiles.
Man them pictures got me hungry LOL, I already knew that ABQ has authentic, any city with a decent sized Mexican population will have it. You're saying that the New Mexican cuisine + authentic Mexican food sets ABQ apart from LA & Chicago, but I guess San Antonio would be the same with Tex mex+authentic Mexican right? What really sets LA apart from the rest is the sheer variety/volume/competition found in the city, every corner is represented in spades, that's something no other American city can claim. Nevertheless this thread comes down to personal taste, so there is no right or wrong answer IMO.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:59 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,839,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Man them pictures got me hungry LOL, I already knew that ABQ has authentic, any city with a decent sized Mexican population will have it. You're saying that the New Mexican cuisine + authentic Mexican food sets ABQ apart from LA & Chicago, but I guess San Antonio would be the same with Tex mex+authentic Mexican right? What really sets LA apart from the rest is the sheer variety/volume/competition found in the city, every corner is represented in spades, that's something no other American city can claim. Nevertheless this thread comes down to personal taste, so there is no right or wrong answer IMO.
LA also has coastal mexican food, fish tacos, and more ethnic fusion options. Plus the fact California also has everything fresh all year round.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
LA also has coastal mexican food, fish tacos, and more ethnic fusion options. Plus the fact California also has everything fresh all year round.
Yes very true, forgot to mention the Mexican seafood side, as well as some places that just specialize on chicken.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:15 PM

I should come up with a thread for the best Mexican panaderias next��

Old 06-04-2015, 08:35 AM

7,046 posts, read 4,046,943 times
Sonoran(AZ)>NewMex(NM)>Baja(CA)>TexMex(TX)

/end

Old 06-04-2015, 10:08 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,378,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It looks good. I would definitely eat it. But doesn't look entirely "Mexican" like LA. This is how nearly every taqueria will make a taco in LA. Tacos al pastor being my favorite, decided to show a pic of what they're supposed to be.
https://tasteofplayadelcarmen.files....-al-pastor.jpg

This is my favorite place in LA.
ceviche de camaron | Yelp
Yum - that's how tacos are supposed to look. And cheers to ABQ for posting some pics of good trad Mexican from the area.

I guess as a kid eating street tacos in Mexico kind of ruined me for the Americanized version with the wrong cheese, cheap processed ingredients and needless empty fillers (iceburg lettuce, tomatoes). I've always been an advocate of great simple ingredients prepared properly = great food, regardless of its origin. Fresh tortilla, meat, onion, cilantro. You pick your salsa. You squeeze some lime, if that's your thing. Absolutely perfect combination. Why use so much filler that adds nothing? Why muddle the balance with too many, or inappropriate flavors? You can get nuts on other dishes, but some things are already perfect, like an authentic taco

What bugs me even more than the above is...anything fusion-y for hipsters/yuppies. Every city has the vegan/vegetarian health food Mexican joints, no? Whole wheat shells, tofu, "weird" flavors, locally sourced ingredients (which is good! Just saying...), the whitebread health conscious yuppie/hippie joint. Been taken to them from San Diego to NYC. It's a good idea, you know, eating healthier and all, but the food doesn't taste as good, period. I often hear people saying they prefer the food at those joints to authentic spots, and all I can think of is the circuitous route their brains had to take in order to justify the dollars/time spent in the yuppiemex restaurants.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:26 AM

6,904 posts, read 14,035,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Yum - that's how tacos are supposed to look. And cheers to ABQ for posting some pics of good trad Mexican from the area.

I guess as a kid eating street tacos in Mexico kind of ruined me for the Americanized version with the wrong cheese, cheap processed ingredients and needless empty fillers (iceburg lettuce, tomatoes). I've always been an advocate of great simple ingredients prepared properly = great food, regardless of its origin. Fresh tortilla, meat, onion, cilantro. You pick your salsa. You squeeze some lime, if that's your thing. Absolutely perfect combination. Why use so much filler that adds nothing? Why muddle the balance with too many, or inappropriate flavors? You can get nuts on other dishes, but some things are already perfect, like an authentic taco

What bugs me even more than the above is...anything fusion-y for hipsters/yuppies. Every city has the vegan/vegetarian health food Mexican joints, no? Whole wheat shells, tofu, "weird" flavors, locally sourced ingredients (which is good! Just saying...), the whitebread health conscious yuppie/hippie joint. Been taken to them from San Diego to NYC. It's a good idea, you know, eating healthier and all, but the food doesn't taste as good, period. I often hear people saying they prefer the food at those joints to authentic spots, and all I can think of is the circuitous route their brains had to take in order to justify the dollars/time spent in the yuppiemex restaurants.
Does eating street tacos in LA count as Mexico enough? Haha. LA basically North Mexico almost.

The healthy Mexican never tastes good. Always fake and not nearly as flavorful or spicy. That's mainly what SF Mexican food has turned into. Hipsters have ruined the cuisine there. Ever heard of gluten free/vegan horchata? They have that. Didn't realize it was until I tried it. It was possibly the worst thing I've ever drank in my entire life. I mean honestly how can horchata be vegan and gluten free??? It's no longer horchata!!

Someone mentioned the LA Mexican seafood too. Do other cities not have ceviche? Or just not as good? Because La Playita (the one I posted from Yelp) has probably the best ceviche I've ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or