Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 67 9.88%
Los Angeles 173 25.52%
Pheonix 24 3.54%
Las Vegas 2 0.29%
Alburqurque 85 12.54%
Dallas 73 10.77%
San Anotonio 97 14.31%
Dallas/Fort Worth 11 1.62%
Houston 58 8.55%
Other 88 12.98%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:42 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times

Advertisements

Have had great cerviche in LA and a few other places (like Chicago), and fair cerviche here in Milwaukee. Definitely adding mental notes on some of these places for future chowdown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 12:18 PM

68 posts, read 93,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
New Mex, Mex is not like any food in Mexico. Sadies looks like nachos and bad tacos plus burgers. Not real Mexican food. Is Sadie doesnt sound Spanish...

Texas has TexMex and real Mexican food (shares a much longer border with Mexico than any other state.
Arizona also shares a border w/Mexico and isnt tainted by the green chile.
California just simply does it the best....thats not hard to see. (Chipotle is out of Denver btw)
I will agree and disagree with some of these statements.

Arizona has good Mexican food, but it is not the best state for Mexican food. I feel like the culture of California has become diluted with too many other influences. California Mexican food CAN be a joke, with fast food restaurants such as Taco Bell (Clearly not real Mexican food) and Del Taco, for which to be honest, after growing up with Texas Tacos, tastes like something a dog would eat. You also see fish tacos and restaurants like Baja Fresh, both of which were invented in California. Tacos aren't even from Mexico. I also disagree with your comment about New Mexican food. Sure it has some American influences, but it also has Native American and Spanish influences, which, to an extent, can be considered Mexican. There is huge Mexican influence in New Mexican cuisine, such as the choices of enchiladas, gorditas, and sopapillas (which come complementary with the meal; not something you would see in California). New Mexico has the highest percentage of Hispanics.

I will agree with your comments on Texas and Arizona though, as both Mexican cuisines are closer to Mexico. I do not agree with the guy who posted about Californian Mexican food being too white either and I believe he is incorrect on his facts (especially since he didn't research that Chipotle came from Colorado) and his opinion is super biased.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:12 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,405,508 times
I guess New Mexican green chiles are catching on
Hatch green chile fever ready to heat up in Southern California - LA Times

Old 07-28-2015, 01:20 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,405,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog79 View Post
I will agree and disagree with some of these statements.

Arizona has good Mexican food, but it is not the best state for Mexican food. I feel like the culture of California has become diluted with too many other influences. California Mexican food CAN be a joke, with fast food restaurants such as Taco Bell (Clearly not real Mexican food) and Del Taco, for which to be honest, after growing up with Texas Tacos, tastes like something a dog would eat. You also see fish tacos and restaurants like Baja Fresh, both of which were invented in California. Tacos aren't even from Mexico. I also disagree with your comment about New Mexican food. Sure it has some American influences, but it also has Native American and Spanish influences, which, to an extent, can be considered Mexican. There is huge Mexican influence in New Mexican cuisine, such as the choices of enchiladas, gorditas, and sopapillas (which come complementary with the meal; not something you would see in California). New Mexico has the highest percentage of Hispanics.

I will agree with your comments on Texas and Arizona though, as both Mexican cuisines are closer to Mexico. I do not agree with the guy who posted about Californian Mexican food being too white either and I believe he is incorrect on his facts (especially since he didn't research that Chipotle came from Colorado) and his opinion is super biased.
Why do people base CA mexican food off chains it's like judging Texas bbq from trying Dickies.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,632 times
ABQ and various other NM cities do not have good Mexican food. The only New Mexico cities that are the closest to REAL Mexican food are Mesilla and Las Cruces. ABQ Mexican food is not something that I'd shoot for if I'm looking to be reminded of home. Mexican food in Santa Fe isn't bad, but it's far from traditional northern Mexican food. El Paso, TX, is the best place to be when it comes to great Mexican food-- but then again El Paso is right next to Juarez, so it's expected. You're not going to get Tex-Mex in El Paso, you're going to get amazing food that is very similar to the food served in Ciudad Juarez. The only city that comes close to traditional Mexican food.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:43 PM

8 posts, read 16,943 times
San Francisco.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:30 PM

592 posts, read 828,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
I'll leave it at this :

California style = http://hackthemenu.com/wp-content/up...tle-nachos.jpg

Texas style = http://www.kcet.org/living/food/imag...exmex1-600.jpg

New Mexico style = https://www.google.com/search?q=New+...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Coming from someone who actually lived it culturally , someone verified and knows what they are talking about.

Go grab a taste of New Mexico and you will never talk AZ, TX, CA again .

Albuquerque > All others all day, no competition, I say it with confidence.
You posted some "fancy" nachos as "Californian" Mexican food.

You lost all credibility.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:46 PM

592 posts, read 828,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
California get's rated high for it's name alone, where as New Mexico is rated based on quality alone.

As long as you stamp "California" on it , by default it attracts high rates despite the quality.

I'll take quality and true uniqueness over hype, boring and uninteresting any day of the week.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, New Mexican food is Mexican food on steroids

Come down to Santa Fe or Albuquerque their's a reason why Presidents come down here.

New Mexican cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only people who should genuinly have an opinion are people who know what they are talking about

Yes Please :http://www.elpinto.com/images/DE_ima...Plate-300w.jpg
I question if you've ever had Mexican food in California or have ever even been to Mexico. California Mexican food is very similar to Mexican found in most parts of Baja California. Chipotle is chipotle- it tastes like Chipotle. I haven't found a similar burrito anywhere else in California, let alone Mission style.

And how exactly is New Mexican cuisine like cuisine in Mexico? Which region of Mexico is it similar to? I'm fairly well traveled in Mexico- I've been to Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun(worst Mexican food in all of Mexico), Culiacan and just came back from Mexico City. Nowhere has the food resembled New Mexican style "Mexican" food. Nowhere has there been mountains of green or red chili sauces just topped on things like burgers or burritos. I'm not saying that those things aren't tasty, but I don't see how it's like Mexican food on steroids. California Mexican food, minus burritos which aren't even found in Mexico, is actually pretty similar to Mexican food in Mexico, particuarly Baja.

BTW- although slightly off topic- in my travels around Mexico, I'd say the best Mexican food in Mexico is actually in Baja California. I'd place the street taco scene in Tijuana over Mexico City any day.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:47 PM

54 posts, read 65,701 times
Arizona is the objective correct answer here. TX's mexican food is trash.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammalian View Post
Arizona is the objective correct answer here. TX's mexican food is trash.
Never eaten Mexican food in Houston I see.

The 2nd largest Mexican community in the US has the food to go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City