Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 67 9.88%
Los Angeles 173 25.52%
Pheonix 24 3.54%
Las Vegas 2 0.29%
Alburqurque 85 12.54%
Dallas 73 10.77%
San Anotonio 97 14.31%
Dallas/Fort Worth 11 1.62%
Houston 58 8.55%
Other 88 12.98%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:08 PM

157 posts, read 398,012 times

Advertisements

I voted Los Angeles...and Houston would be a strong second. Pappasito's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 PM

24 posts, read 58,993 times
Papasitos is NOT mexican. There is a big difference between texmex and true Mexican.

The best Mexican food is FOR SURE in El Paso or Alburqurque.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:00 PM

159 posts, read 511,523 times
I might be a little biased, but I chose Albuquerque (don't know why you spelt it wrong in poll).

Old 07-08-2009, 05:42 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
First of all, you need to eliminate any cities outside of Texas. The other places have bland stuff ..

Old 07-08-2009, 09:24 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,634 times
Chicago has really good mexican food. Frontera Grill and SuCasa.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM

804 posts, read 2,402,273 times
L.A. we don't have 44.5% of or population being Mexican for nothing.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
bigger restaurant cities, bigger metros in general, more mexicans...

3rd and 6th largest csa's in the united states.

chicago has the #2 mexican population in the u.s. , bay area is 20% hispanic...(mostly mexican)

They both definitely have good mexican eats...are they in the same league? I dunno, I've been to all the other cities but I'm not specifically going for mexican several times while there...
etc.
I don't know. It isn't like Dallas isn't a big restaurant city itself, huge metro (7th largest CSA), and doesn't have many Mexicans itself. I would think Dallas is in the top 5 for Mexican population in this country.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:19 PM

246 posts, read 759,061 times
San Francisco and San Jose have the best taquerias I've ever been to, hands down...the flavor of the meats, the quality of the cheese and sour cream, the homemade tortillas, the fresh avocados. It's amazing. And no, true Mission burritos are NOTHING like the tasteless cardboard, unedible chains that claim to have that style (e.g. Chipotle, Qdoba, etc.) Thats like saying Taco Bell is "SoCal" style.

For sit down mexican, my vote goes to Tucson and Albequerque.

San Diego is vastly overrated...French Fries in a burrito?!

Here's a pic of the best taqueria Ive ever been to, El Farolito in the mission district of San Francisco:

Old 07-08-2009, 10:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
San Francisco and San Jose have the best taquerias I've ever been to, hands down...the flavor of the meats, the quality of the cheese and sour cream, the homemade tortillas, the fresh avocados. It's amazing. And no, true Mission burritos are NOTHING like the tasteless cardboard, unedible chains that claim to have that style (e.g. Chipotle, Qdoba, etc.) Thats like saying Taco Bell is "SoCal" style.

For sit down mexican, my vote goes to Tucson and Albequerque.

San Diego is vastly overrated...French Fries in a burrito?!

Here's a pic of the best taqueria Ive ever been to, El Farolito in the mission district of San Francisco:
you're trippin, California Burritos are the best!

I never cared for or was impressed with the Mexican food in the Bay Area, you can't even get a good fish taco there, at least not like in San Diego. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and have lived in SD for 8 years now and the Mexican food down here is better hands down. I have friends that I grew up with in the Bay Area that either live in SD still or have lived in SD and they all agree the Mexican food down here is better. Mexico is part of our metropolitan area and it just a bigger part of the food and culture here than it is in the Bay Area and more authentic. You can cross the border and get the real thing that you'd never be able to find in Northern CA. The food down around the border is basically the same stuff you'd find a few miles south in Mexico itself.

I'm mexican and the Bay Area is just not on the same level as San Diego or Southern CA in general when it comes to Mexican food.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:49 AM

246 posts, read 759,061 times
I agree its a bigger part of the culture in San Diego, but dont forget the Bay Area as a whole is ~25% Mexican, which is substantial. In either case, neither is "authentic mexican". I've spent my share of time in San Diego, and just didn't think the taquerias were as good there. Sit-down mexican was better for sure, but I prefer the taqeurias up north.

San Jose, Redwood City, San Francisco, etc all have tons of outstanding taquerias with a pretty unique style. And, yeah, I just dont like french fries on a burrito. I also think the meat is spiced better in the bay. Even when I lived in Tucson, which as whole has great mexican food, I missed bay area taquerias. I know Im not alone here, as even people like Jack Black (a SoCal native) has said the best burrito he's ever had was in San Francisco.

Jack Black | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
you're trippin, California Burritos are the best!

I never cared for or was impressed with the Mexican food in the Bay Area, you can't even get a good fish taco there, at least not like in San Diego. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and have lived in SD for 8 years now and the Mexican food down here is better hands down. I have friends that I grew up with in the Bay Area that either live in SD still or have lived in SD and they all agree the Mexican food down here is better. Mexico is part of our metropolitan area and it just a bigger part of the food and culture here than it is in the Bay Area and more authentic. You can cross the border and get the real thing that you'd never be able to find in Northern CA. The food down around the border is basically the same stuff you'd find a few miles south in Mexico itself.

I'm mexican and the Bay Area is just not on the same level as San Diego or Southern CA in general when it comes to Mexican food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City