Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 67 9.88%
Los Angeles 173 25.52%
Pheonix 24 3.54%
Las Vegas 2 0.29%
Alburqurque 85 12.54%
Dallas 73 10.77%
San Anotonio 97 14.31%
Dallas/Fort Worth 11 1.62%
Houston 58 8.55%
Other 88 12.98%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I would also have to say LA. I know that I've had better Mexican food in LA than anywhere outside of Mexico including Laredo, Tx. I have found that Laredo and San Antonio have good Mexican food, just not as good as LA. The funny thing is that other Texas cities like even Austin and Dallas and Houston don't really have good mexican food for some reason. It's like it ends at New Braunfels in Texas for some reason. That's not say that it doesn't exist in those places, it's just not wide spread. I have found New Mexico to have very good Mexican food as well as phoenix. I like San Diego and San Franciscos as well, but haven't really had enough time in those places to comment. They may be better than LA, but I wouldn't know. I havefound some of the best Mexican food in the states in NYC surprisingly. It's just not common to NYC and good mexican restaurants in NYC are hard to find and are definately not the norm. There is definately more bad mexican restaurants than good in NYC.
You've been eating at all the wrong places, because I know Dallas and Houston for a fact both have great Mexican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Coming from Austin, TX where there is A LOT of fantastic Mexican Food... I have to give it to San Antonio, which is even slightly better! Cali-Mex is good, just a different style. Texas is 100% Norteno, so it is spicier and beefier. California has that whole Asian-Mexican thing going, which is pretty good. But San Antonio beats that too, in my book.
I agree. Texas is mostly norte. But Cali-Mex is more Baja, and I guess closer to the coast. I would imagine that AZ and NM would have a good mix of both the Tex-Mex style and the Cali style. Maybe i'm wrong.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:13 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Austin should DEFINATELY be a MAIN choice. Austin is pretty good. So is San Antonio. Basically that whole area from the hill couinty to south texas and the balcones fault line area has some of the BEST Mexican food in the nation. But somebody else said, that Mexican food deffers from place to place, Cali-style is a little different then Tex-Mex. I heard breakfast burritos started in Texas with Tex-Mex? Is this correct?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:22 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Austin should DEFINATELY be a MAIN choice. Austin is pretty good. So is San Antonio. Basically that whole area from the hill couinty to south texas and the balcones fault line area has some of the BEST Mexican food in the nation. But somebody else said, that Mexican food deffers from place to place, Cali-style is a little different then Tex-Mex. I heard breakfast burritos started in Texas with Tex-Mex? Is this correct?
Yeah but you don't call them breakfast burritos unless you're from North Texas. They are called taquito's. Just a heads up.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:33 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,543 times
If you mean cities OUTSIDE of Mexico, then San Diego for sure. Within Mex, I'd choose Ensenada's Mariscos.

(whoever voted fro LA needs to be slapped... Burritos should not be packed with 90% rice)

Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Which ones do you like? I agree about more bad than good mexican restaurants. Rosa Mexicana and Dos Caminos are good, not earth shattering. I've tried various Burrito outposts, and found them disappointing. Burritoes remind me of pillows; I've enjoyed La Esquina and some taco truck on 14th, west end.
I like Guadalupe in Inwood on 207th
Don Panchito in Washington height on Amsterdam (between 164th and 165th)
Guadalupana in Washington Heights on Broadway (between 159th and 160th).
Upper East Side
Patys taco truck on 84th and lexington
Taco Taco on 3rd and 91st.
Manolos in Sunnyside Queens.Of of 46th and Greenpoint.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You've been eating at all the wrong places, because I know Dallas and Houston for a fact both have great Mexican food.
They definately do, but it's hard to find. Most of the Mexican restaurants in those cities are not really mexican, but more TexMex and that's fine if that's what you like. I however am mexican (and a chef) and I prefere real Mexican and it's difficult to find places in those cities that are willing to go away from the texMex and really offer some good real mexican food.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:16 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
They definately do, but it's hard to find. Most of the Mexican restaurants in those cities are not really mexican, but more TexMex and that's fine if that's what you like. I however am mexican (and a chef) and I prefere real Mexican and it's difficult to find places in those cities that are willing to go away from the texMex and really offer some good real mexican food.
Houston has lots of real mexican places though.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
If you mean cities OUTSIDE of Mexico, then San Diego for sure. Within Mex, I'd choose Ensenada's Mariscos.

(whoever voted fro LA needs to be slapped... Burritos should not be packed with 90% rice)
LMAO... Next time you're in LA you need to go to Rauls on Inglewood Ave in Hawthorne. Or go to Boyle Heights, to El Tepeyac on Evergreen and Winter. My aunt took me there last August when i was visiting and the burritos will not disapoint you.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston has lots of real mexican places though.
I said that I'm sure they do, I point was that there is alot of Mexican that is not really Mexican and you have to know where to go or hope for the best. No doubt that all cities mentioned have good mexican, I just don't like that it's hard to know which ones are offering real mexican or TexMex. o knock on houston, though so I hope you guys don't take it that way. Nothing wrong with TexMex and I like it sometimes too. I personally prefer Mexican most of the time. I do however crave some TexMex aswell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City