Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 67 9.88%
Los Angeles 173 25.52%
Pheonix 24 3.54%
Las Vegas 2 0.29%
Alburqurque 85 12.54%
Dallas 73 10.77%
San Anotonio 97 14.31%
Dallas/Fort Worth 11 1.62%
Houston 58 8.55%
Other 88 12.98%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:19 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times

Advertisements

Laredo and El Paso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 10:13 AM

24 posts, read 58,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
L.A. we don't have 44.5% of or population being Mexican for nothing.
El Paso, tx has a 77% Hispanic population. The minority is the majority. And I think that is part what makes the Mexican food there the best.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:54 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Never been, but I'm guessing San Antonio.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:52 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
how do the bay area and chicago stack up in this??? I haven't eaten enough in the other places to know... From what I've seen...they both have BIG mexican populations and a ton of good food both street/restaurant, foodie havens. I think they should at least be in the running over phoenix/dallas/las vegas...
No offense but, Over Phoenix and Dallas?? Really? I do realize Chicago does have a large Mexican population, but over phoenix and dallas? I think Chicago sholud be in there but not at the expense of those 2.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
San Francisco and San Jose have the best taquerias I've ever been to, hands down...the flavor of the meats, the quality of the cheese and sour cream, the homemade tortillas, the fresh avocados. It's amazing. And no, true Mission burritos are NOTHING like the tasteless cardboard, unedible chains that claim to have that style (e.g. Chipotle, Qdoba, etc.) Thats like saying Taco Bell is "SoCal" style.

For sit down mexican, my vote goes to Tucson and Albequerque.

San Diego is vastly overrated...French Fries in a burrito?!

Here's a pic of the best taqueria Ive ever been to, El Farolito in the mission district of San Francisco:
I like that elevator to BART sign. Looks like you could take the public transit straight from home to the Mexican restaurant.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:22 PM

184 posts, read 571,421 times
Why in the world isn't chicago in the options?? Chicago is actually one of the best cities for mexican food. Just go visit 26th Street and you will know what I am talking about.

1) Chicago
2) Los Angeles
3) Houston
4) Dallas
5) San Antonio

Old 07-31-2009, 06:34 PM

259 posts, read 454,839 times
It probably depends on what style of Mexican food you enjoy.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,374,430 times
It amazes me that Chicago isn't in this list. From what my Mexican friends tell me, Chicago has the most diverse Mexican population in the States...representing almost all regional specialties.

Chicago has the 3rd largest Mexican population after LA and Houston, and srguably the most diverse Mexican population...meaning most diverse food.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times
Man... old thread... but i'm bumping this cause some of these comments are ridiculous. No.. the taquerias at San Francisco are not good. The food is bland and its just made for high consumerism. Go to South california where mexican food is prepared the right way slowly and with care.

I also agree that New Mexico has hands down just flat out some of the best foods I've ever eaten. I was a kid when we lived in Las Cruces, NM. All the foods... I mean all of the foods we ate was just phenomenal. This isn't just some of the best mexican food... its some of the best food I've ever put into my mouth. The tamales are tiny little spicy suckers and they will leave you crying for the rest of the day. The enchiladas, menudo... oh dear the pozole. The champuradas! Good heavens, I wanna go back there!

The thing is that I grew up eating mexican food. Not in restaurants but at home. So as a hispanic my taste buds differ greatly from americans just growing up eating mexican food at restaurants. If you want to vote cities like San Francisco based on that merit alone, you're on your own. The food here is simply generic. I just left a taqueria a few hours ago and I noticed they had flautas. I spoke to one of the workers who was from mexico city and we started talking about how the mexican food here is different and generic. We were also speaking in Spanish... so I think we're quite qualified to give our two cents on the subject.

I am also partial to San Antonio and Houston mexican food. In San Antonio there are places where they make super tacos. These aren't the San Francisco godawful type of super tacos where they put the entire deli menu in a tiny little tortilla. These are big super tacos... bigger than burritos. They are prepared fresh with homemade flour tortillas. Let me repeat that.... HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS. crispy, fluffy, warm and soft the way the good Lord intended it to be. I don't think I've ever been to any city anywhere else where they make them like that. I don't know how in the world the mission burritos got more popular than San Antonio's super tacos.

take a look at this beauty.
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...super-taco.jpg

and this one...
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...do-s-tacos.jpg

You ever eat naan bread at an indian restaurant? You know how intoxicating the scent can be and how appealing the texture of it it feels in your hands? That's how the homemade flour tortillas in Texas taste like... and don't get me started on the border towns. Anyone ever been to Eagle Pass, TX?

But if I were to put up my favorite cities with the best mexican food here they are in no order at all.

Anywhere in NM, El Paso, San Antonio, LA/SD, Houston, Anywhere in the border towns of TX.

Austin and San Francisco just simply have this flavor that's too white and touristy for me. I dunno but that's just me. Although I will say that San Jalisco on South Van Ness and 18th is pretty decent. And there are a few places in Austin that I miss like Habanero, and Taqueria Jaliscienses. Also I've never been to Phoenix... but something tells me that the mexican food there might be pretty decent.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:58 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
Why is Tucson not on this poll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City