U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 AM

40 posts, read 84,075 times

Advertisements

It seems like there are a lot of stereotypical assumptions in a lot of these posts. As if Black people committ the most crimes. There is a false sense of security in this nation, non-Black people committ crimes too - far more. But we don't hear about it because the media doesn't report it. I also take issue with the perception that the 'hood is comprised of minorities. White folks and other groups live in the hood too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 01:55 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,776,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Baltimore is NOT as bad as advertised. Hell, I safer here than many other places. Baltimore people usually dont bother u unless into illegal activities. Even the rough neighborhoods arent as bad as they seem.
False. Maybe because you live there you are use to it. On the scale of big cities it's bad especially the bad neighborhoods. Places like NY and DC, you can mind your own business. I know several Baltimore residents and natives that got jacked and their car broken into etc. That was not slipping (just coming from work in the afternoon etc.) and did not leave valuables in sight. Baltimore people are just crazy with it.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:31 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,285,039 times
Default boreatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
False. Maybe because you live there you are use to it. On the scale of big cities it's bad especially the bad neighborhoods. Places like NY and DC, you can mind your own business. I know several Baltimore residents and natives that got jacked and their car broken into etc. That was not slipping (just coming from work in the afternoon etc.) and did not leave valuables in sight. Baltimore people are just crazy with it.
no

Old 01-09-2012, 01:29 PM

53 posts, read 149,511 times
my list is
NYC (certain parts)
Yonkers, NY
Newark, NJ
Irvington, NJ
East Orange, NJ
Paterson, NJ
Trenton, NJ
Camden, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Chester, PA
Baltimore, MD

Old 01-09-2012, 02:48 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,090,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Actually, the West Coast is the safest compared to the East Coast (NYC-NJ-Philly-Boston-DC-Baltimore).

SoCal is having no race war, NYC is. The very recent Macon Street riot will display that. NYPD vs. NYC residents and foreign tourists.

Philly has murders occur downtown all the time.
This is not true. Big cities over 500K in California are generally safer, as a whole, than DC or Baltimore. But NYC is the safest big city in the country and has been for years and years. Don't try to paint NYC as some warzone because its not 1985 anymore. The streets of NY are dead compared to what they used to be. NYC is much safer than Oakland, Richmond, Stockton and even San Francisco. California's highest crime rate big city over 500K is surprisingly to many is San Francisco. SF has similar overall safety ratings as Philly according to neighborhoodscout.com:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

However, California cities almost dominate the top ten most dangerous cities list every year. Many years, Baltimore doesn't even make the cut. But, Baltimore made the top ten last year after a hiatus and Baltimore does indeed belong up there. However, Oakland, Richmond, Compton and Stockton are regulars on the top ten most dangerous cities list. The only East Coast city that consistently makes the top ten list is Camden, NJ.

The 10 Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St. - National - The Atlantic

Stockton and Oakland Ranked as Most Dangerous Cities in America | IMMIEN.COM

California's economy is in the toilet and joblessness is higher than the vast majority of the country, yet the cost of living is much higher than most of the country. Many areas in California are places where the streets belong to gang bangers and criminals; not the police. The police run NYC and have for about 15 years or more. Police are getting laid off left and right in cities like Oakland. Anybody who's ever been to California knows that gangs are much more of an epidemic in California cities than anywhere on the East Coast where inner city teenagers (and sadly some overgrown adults in the hood) copy California gangs starting their own sets of bastardized boyscout versions of Bloods and Crips. If the West Coast is so tame compared to the East Coast, then why do grown men in Newark, NJ claim Grape Street Crips and why do teenagers in Baltimore to the Bronx claim Piru Bloods? These are streets in L.A. mind you.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._arrested.html

California is the Tigris and Euphrates of the majority of all Black, Hispanic and Asian gangs in the country, and the world, for god's sake. Many uber-violent gangs like the Nortenos in Northern California, almost do not exist anywhere else. On the other hand, there are MS-13 members from Alaska to Maryland and there are Bloods and Crips in Europe. Gangs like MS-13 and 18th St were formed in California only to spread to make up a huge percentage of the population of countries like Honduras and El Salvador. O.G. L.A. bangers in Central America are worshipped.

The Bay Area (San Francisco-Oakland-Richmond-Vallejo) is easily one of the top five most overall dangerous metros in the country. Irresponsible government spending has made the DC metro the richest in the country. DC is very gentrified and lightyears safer than it was 20 years ago when it was the "murder capital".

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 08:01 AM..

Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 PM

27,647 posts, read 24,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
The streets of NY are dead compared to what they used to be. NYC is much safer than Oakland, Richmond, Stockton and even San Francisco.
That's because Rudy Giuliani ran a police state for 8 years. If Oakland had a boss like Frank Rizzo or Giuliani, the city probably wouldn't have a single murder this year.

Philadelphia Mayor Frank Rizzo and Anchor Stan Bohrman confrontation - YouTube

Old 01-09-2012, 04:33 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,827,375 times
Philly of course, only major city to have more homicides in 2011 than compared to 2010, 2009, and 2008. Looks like 2012 even has 2011 beat, not good

Old 01-09-2012, 04:39 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
2008 Murder Rates per 100,000 (Oct 1):

53.8 Camden
48.6 Chester
28.6 Wilmington

26.3 Baltimore
24.2 D.C.
21.3 Trenton
17.5 Richmond
16.3 Philly
15.7 Newark
Wow Philly and its burbs dominate crime lists. Folks who say Philly has no world class anything are wrong, it has world class criminals and sandwiches

Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,313,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Philly of course, only major city to have more homicides in 2011 than compared to 2010, 2009, and 2008. Looks like 2012 even has 2011 beat, not good
Ugh go away.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 PM

53 posts, read 149,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Uhhh yeah...LOL. Grew up in Ben Hill in SW Atlanta, not a slum, but lets just say it wasn't Beverly Hills neither. Basically if you came thru running your mouth someone would see about you. We didnt have crackheads on every corner and nightly shootouts like Oakland City down the street, but that type of stuff was not uncommon to see either in Ben Hill. Moved to DC and lived in the Trinidad area in NE DC and that for sure was a slum, probably not the area I should have lived in bieng an out of town college student, but hey nothing happened and I actually met some cool people. When I moved back to Atlanta I lived in one of my pop's rental houses on North Grand off of Bankhead in NW Atlanta. That for sure was a slum as well, crack house next door, used to see the light from the police helicopter on the wall in the middle of the night, saw two different police chases in the same month on the same street, one time the driver jumped out while the car was still rolling and crashed into another house, the whole 9 yards. Even though my pops was basically letting me live there for free, I finally knew it was time to move when some teenager on a bike tried to sell me an assault rifle, and when I touched the gun itself, the cartridge was still hot like it had just been used. I was like . I almost wanted to grab the gun from him and rub everywhere I had touched down with a towel.
congrats dude, ok now you have street cred...lmfao...iv lived in Guatemala city, one of the most violent cities in the world. None of you experiences can prepare you for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or