U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,462 posts, read 8,202,148 times
Reputation: 5491

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
NYC might be safe for ya multi-millionares living in towers and ya typical tourists in Time Square but the hoods in NYC are wild and are just as bad as any hood in Philly, B-more or DC. The hood is the hood, can't say that B-more's hoods are worse than Philly or vice-versa, it's no difference. A kid getting hit with a stray in B-more is no diff. than a kid getting hit with a stray in NYC or Philly, and it goes all other ways. Stats say Newburgh is more dangerous than NYC, which I think is bananas. Newburgh has alot of violence and poverty but it's not on NYC's level.
It is true what you say if people live in the hood then it is very dangerous. My grandmother got hit on her head the other day. Some guy took her purse and left. I was looking for the guy to beat him up, but I never found him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2009, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 17,753,491 times
Reputation: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
NYC might be safe for ya multi-millionares living in towers and ya typical tourists in Time Square but the hoods in NYC are wild and are just as bad as any hood in Philly, B-more or DC. The hood is the hood, can't say that B-more's hoods are worse than Philly or vice-versa, it's no difference. A kid getting hit with a stray in B-more is no diff. than a kid getting hit with a stray in NYC or Philly, and it goes all other ways. Stats say Newburgh is more dangerous than NYC, which I think is bananas. Newburgh has alot of violence and poverty but it's not on NYC's level.
i agree with that. i've lived in a lot of urban areas and, personally, nothing comes close to the harassment i've faced in DC (just visiting friends)...just the wrong places at the wrong times i guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Hartford CT.
13 posts, read 50,359 times
Reputation: 17
Dont know about now, but in 2004 hartford was top 10.. number 7..

YouTube - Hartford, CT
[SIZE=5]Top 25 Most Dangerous Cities 2004[/SIZE]

1 Camden, NJ
2 Detroit, MI
3 Atlanta, GA
4 St. Louis, MO
5 Gary, IN
6 Washington, DC
7 Hartford, CT
8 New Orleans, LA
9 Richmond, VA
10 Birmingham, AL
11 Baltimore, MD
12 Richmond, CA
13 Memphis, TN
14 Jackson, MS
15 Tampa, FL
16 San Bernardino, CA
17 Compton, CA
18 Springfield, MA
19 Miami, FL
20 Cleveland, OH
21 Dayton, OH
22 North Charleston, SC
23 Little Rock, AR
24 Oakland, CA
25 Cincinnati, OH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
1,340 posts, read 3,678,334 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Its different NYers, you never catch people like me saying NYC is the safest city, to me NYC and safe don't belong in the same sentence because I'm in the hood all day. Some people live in safe neighborhoods so they feel its safe, some live in bad areas (including me) so its obviously not safe to them.
I get what you mean but that can be said about any city. There's always good and bad areas. Hell, I just got mugged 2 weeks ago in DC. On top of that, I'm a fireman here. You'd think I'd be pretty safe.

You can't judge a city by only some areas. In DC, we have the busiest(I think this year it dropped to 2nd) fire engine in the country. That usually means it's one of the worst neighborhoods in the country. However, I wouldn't even think of mentioning DC is a top 10 most dangerous city list. I know the above poster has it in one, but that's 2004. DC may be the most improved city in the country in the last 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,294 posts, read 16,389,783 times
Reputation: 6045
Quote:
Originally Posted by chldrnfbdm4 View Post
Dont know about now, but in 2004 hartford was top 10.. number 7..

YouTube - Hartford, CT
[SIZE=5]Top 25 Most Dangerous Cities 2004[/SIZE]

1 Camden, NJ
2 Detroit, MI
3 Atlanta, GA
4 St. Louis, MO
5 Gary, IN
6 Washington, DC
7 Hartford, CT
8 New Orleans, LA
9 Richmond, VA
10 Birmingham, AL
11 Baltimore, MD
12 Richmond, CA
13 Memphis, TN
14 Jackson, MS
15 Tampa, FL
16 San Bernardino, CA
17 Compton, CA
18 Springfield, MA
19 Miami, FL
20 Cleveland, OH
21 Dayton, OH
22 North Charleston, SC
23 Little Rock, AR
24 Oakland, CA
25 Cincinnati, OH
I thought New Orleans and Compton would be in the top 5, I wonder how Atlanta is #3 too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,655 posts, read 5,089,585 times
Reputation: 809
East

1 Camden, NJ
6 Washington, DC
7 Hartford, CT

9 Richmond, VA
11 Baltimore, MD
18 Springfield, MA

---------
West

12 Richmond, CA
16 San Bernardino
, CA
17 Compton, CA
23 Little Rock, AR
24 Oakland, CA
---------
South

3 Atlanta, GA
8 New Orleans, LA
10 Birmingham, AL
13 Memphis, TN
14 Jackson, MS
15 Tampa, FL
19 Miami, FL
22 North Charleston, SC
---------
Midwest

2 Detroit, MI
4 St. Louis, MO
5 Gary, IN
20 Cleveland, OH
21 Dayton, OH
25 Cincinnati, OH


Broken into regions for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 07:32 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 5,501,983 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
East

1 Camden, NJ
6 Washington, DC
7 Hartford, CT

9 Richmond, VA
11 Baltimore, MD
18 Springfield, MA

---------
West

12 Richmond, CA
16 San Bernardino
, CA
17 Compton, CA
23 Little Rock, AR
24 Oakland, CA
---------
South

3 Atlanta, GA
8 New Orleans, LA
10 Birmingham, AL
13 Memphis, TN
14 Jackson, MS
15 Tampa, FL
19 Miami, FL
22 North Charleston, SC
---------
Midwest

2 Detroit, MI
4 St. Louis, MO
5 Gary, IN
20 Cleveland, OH
21 Dayton, OH
25 Cincinnati, OH


Broken into regions for you.

Here's the 2008 list.

1 St. Louis, MO
2 Detroit, MI
3 Flint, MI
4 Compton, CA
5 Camden, NJ
6 Birmingham, AL
7 Cleveland, OH
8 Oakland, CA
9 Youngstown, OH
10 Gary, IN
11 Richmond, CA
12 Baltimore, MD
13 Memphis, TN
14 Trenton, NJ
15 Richmond, VA
16 Kansas City, MO
17 Atlanta, GA
18 Cincinnati, OH
19 Washington, DC
20 North Charleston, SC
21 Reading, PA
22 Newark, NJ
23 Little Rock, AR
24 San Bernardino, CA
25 Orlando, FL


Broken into regions:

Midwest

1 St. Louis, MO
2 Detroit, MI

3 Flint, MI
7 Cleveland, OH
9 Youngstown, OH
10 Gary, IN
16 Kansas City, MO
18 Cincinnati, OH

---------
West

4 Compton, CA

8 Oakland, CA
11 Richmond, CA
24 San Bernardino
, CA
---------
East

5 Camden, NJ
12 Baltimore, MD
14 Trenton, NJ
19 Washington, DC
21 Reading, PA
22 Newark, NJ
---------
South

6 Birmingham, AL
13 Memphis, TN
15 Richmond, VA
17 Atlanta, GA
20 North Charleston, SC
23 Little Rock, AR
25 Orlando, FL


Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I thought New Orleans and Compton would be in the top 5, I wonder how Atlanta is #3 too.
Compton was for 2008, but I'm not sure why NO wasn't. Things fluctuate from year to year though. Look at the 2007 list:

1 Detroit, MI
2 St. Louis, MO
3 Flint, MI
4 Oakland, CA
5 Camden, NJ
6 Birmingham, AL
7 North Charleston, SC
8 Memphis, TN
9 Richmond, CA
10 Cleveland, OH
11 Orlando, FL
12 Baltimore, MD
13 Little Rock, AR
14 Compton, CA
15 Youngstown, OH
16 Cincinnati, OH
17 Gary, IN
18 Kansas City, MO
19 Dayton, OH
20 Newark, NJ
21 Philadelphia, PA
22 Atlanta, GA
23 Jackson, MS
24 Buffalo, NY
25 Kansas City, KS


Some cities remain right around the same while others jump on and off the list. I think it all depends on what city is having particularly troublesome years at a given time. In CA, its consistently Oakland, Richmond, Compton and San Bernadino as the most troublesome in these recent years. But in the early 90's I'm pretty sure other cities would have challenged some of those spots like Inglewood, Long Beach and East Palo Alto.

One thing that's for sure though, the Midwest consistently holds 3 of the top spots and has some of the most dangerous cities in the country. And I'm actually surprised certain other cities weren't either more consistent or on the list at all like Philly, Houston, New Orleans, Miami and Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,655 posts, read 5,089,585 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
One thing that's for sure though, the Midwest consistently holds 3 of the top spots and has some of the most dangerous cities in the country. And I'm actually surprised certain other cities weren't either more consistent or on the list at all like Philly, Houston, New Orleans, Miami and Phoenix.

Think of what the midwest's economy is primarily focused on... yes.. the automobile industry. With the declining automobile industry it is lead to loss of jobs, people then need money so they resort to violence, violence results to murder, and it just snowballs. Cities like Philly and Houston are not suffering as much economically as a majority of the cities in the midwest are. Hey if life is good, why cause violence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 07:35 PM
 
7 posts, read 54,719 times
Reputation: 16
there isn't one place that is the worst. NYC has harlem, wash. heights, queensbridge, and other bad places. camden new jersey = death. there are so much ****holes in philly. birmingham alabama is pretty bad. if you want to count atlanta as an east coast city it is real ****in dangerous too. but washington dc, murder capital, no bull****. highest murder rate ever recorded for a US city, 80.6 per 100,000. youll get laid in anacostia, trinidad, barry farm, wash. highlands, or pretty much any hood in SE. baltimore sucks too. mos of the most dangerous cities are on the east coast. the only ones on the west coast are compton, oakland, and richmond, cali.a few areas of la too, but thats it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 PM
 
7 posts, read 54,719 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Here's the 2008 list.

1 St. Louis, MO
2 Detroit, MI
3 Flint, MI
4 Compton, CA
5 Camden, NJ
6 Birmingham, AL
7 Cleveland, OH
8 Oakland, CA
9 Youngstown, OH
10 Gary, IN
11 Richmond, CA
12 Baltimore, MD
13 Memphis, TN
14 Trenton, NJ
15 Richmond, VA
16 Kansas City, MO
17 Atlanta, GA
18 Cincinnati, OH
19 Washington, DC
20 North Charleston, SC
21 Reading, PA
22 Newark, NJ
23 Little Rock, AR
24 San Bernardino, CA
25 Orlando, FL


Broken into regions:

Midwest

1 St. Louis, MO
2 Detroit, MI

3 Flint, MI
7 Cleveland, OH
9 Youngstown, OH
10 Gary, IN
16 Kansas City, MO
18 Cincinnati, OH

---------
West

4 Compton, CA

8 Oakland, CA
11 Richmond, CA
24 San Bernardino
, CA
---------
East

5 Camden, NJ
12 Baltimore, MD
14 Trenton, NJ
19 Washington, DC
21 Reading, PA
22 Newark, NJ
---------
South

6 Birmingham, AL
13 Memphis, TN
15 Richmond, VA
17 Atlanta, GA
20 North Charleston, SC
23 Little Rock, AR
25 Orlando, FL




Compton was for 2008, but I'm not sure why NO wasn't. Things fluctuate from year to year though. Look at the 2007 list:

1 Detroit, MI
2 St. Louis, MO
3 Flint, MI
4 Oakland, CA
5 Camden, NJ
6 Birmingham, AL
7 North Charleston, SC
8 Memphis, TN
9 Richmond, CA
10 Cleveland, OH
11 Orlando, FL
12 Baltimore, MD
13 Little Rock, AR
14 Compton, CA
15 Youngstown, OH
16 Cincinnati, OH
17 Gary, IN
18 Kansas City, MO
19 Dayton, OH
20 Newark, NJ
21 Philadelphia, PA
22 Atlanta, GA
23 Jackson, MS
24 Buffalo, NY
25 Kansas City, KS


Some cities remain right around the same while others jump on and off the list. I think it all depends on what city is having particularly troublesome years at a given time. In CA, its consistently Oakland, Richmond, Compton and San Bernadino as the most troublesome in these recent years. But in the early 90's I'm pretty sure other cities would have challenged some of those spots like Inglewood, Long Beach and East Palo Alto.

One thing that's for sure though, the Midwest consistently holds 3 of the top spots and has some of the most dangerous cities in the country. And I'm actually surprised certain other cities weren't either more consistent or on the list at all like Philly, Houston, New Orleans, Miami and Phoenix.

Phoenix is never that high up. houston isnt either; thei posulations are just too big. im surprised by philly too, but it also has a lot of pepole. new orleans isnt in it because they dont know how many peple live there now so tey cant calculate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top